PDA

View Full Version : ISO New camera

KrystalS
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
I know this board doesn't really deal with electronics but everyone here is always so helpful with my baby questions I figured this was the best place to ask about cameras. Right now I have a basic Sony point and shoot, it only has 3X zoom. It's a good camera, I just want something with more zoom, faster shutter speed, and ability to take action shots. My DD is at the age that she always runs when I want to take a picture and my camera just isn't fast enough to get her before she runs, I always end up with blurry pictures. I've looked at the SLR cameras and I really don't want to spend that much, and I don't want something that is super complicated to use. I love my Sony camera so I think I'd like to stick to the same brand. I've looked at the new Sony 8MP and it looks like a good one.
Anyway I'm rambling now, I would just like some opinions on the full size point and shoot cameras. What kind do you have and what do you like/dislike about it? Do you regret not getting an SLR?

jassara
06-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I've been searching for a new camera too - for the same reason - can't keep missing those adorable moments! I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to the Canon PowerShot S3 IS and the Sony H5. I highly recommend www.dpreview.com for reviews and info.

boys2enough
06-02-2007, 09:45 AM
My FIL has the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and he loves it. He won't stop talking about how great his camera is if you give him the chance. He's almost fanatic about it.

The zoom range is great, and the video clips that he took of the kids are surprisingly good. At the greatest zoom, the videos are not visibly grainy. This eliminates the need for buying/carrying a camcorder, imo. The S3 IS apprently is even better. DPreview gave it some of the highest scores for that class of cameras.

Canon in general has a good reputation in terms of short lag time. I believe the S3 IS is said to have an above average rating on that. (Again, if you are looking for NO lag time, you will have to consider a DSLR...) But for a point and shoot, the Canon S3 IS comes highly recommended. I almost got it, until I convinced myself that what I really really want right now, is the NO lag time that comes with a DSLR. Otherwise, I would have gotten a Canon S3 IS, and would have made my FIL very happy...

HTH.

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

Tondi G
06-03-2007, 03:42 PM
We have a Canon Powershot SD550 Digital Elph! It is super small, takes great pics and the shutter speed is pretty darn good for a little camera!!!!

I highly recommend it!

~Tondi