PDA

View Full Version : Kettler Trike for One Year Old

Kindra178
06-01-2007, 07:13 PM
My inlaws want to buy my ds something great for his first birthday and they suggested a tricycle. Which Kettler works for a one year old? I know we need the push bar as well as air wheels.

PS I have extensively searched this entire board for recommended gifts for one year olds and Kettler Trikes, and I am still confused.

new_mommy25
06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
We have the Kettler Air Navigator. It makes steering really easy. We also bought the foot board, the basket, and the bell. Gotta have the bell. :)

shburks
06-01-2007, 11:04 PM
IMHO, there was no way ds could have done a Kettler or any trike at one. He got it for his second birthday and it was still a bit much. Just know your child and if you think he is ready for it.

bluestar2
06-02-2007, 01:41 AM
We got DC the Air Jumbo (now discontinued, but you can look at the Happy, Navigator, or Kiddio) for their first birthday, and we used it in stroller mode until they could peddle by themselves when they were about 2 1/2. We took it to the park, around the neighborhood and on trails that first year. We figured since we were going to buy them a tricycle at some point, why not earlier rather than later so we can get more use out of it? We got the straps, pushbar and metal bell. They loved ringing that bell as they pushed along when they were little. Now that they are 3 1/2, it still gets used regularly when the weather is nice.

BeachBum
06-02-2007, 08:12 AM
We got both a Trike w push bar and a wagon around/for DS's 1st b-day. The wagon has gotten far, far more use.
My son is 20 mo now and he can pedal the trike in our driveway. None of our friends that are 2-2.5 can pedal around the block. I think waiting until the 2nd b-day still gives plenty of time to use the trike. My son is tall and he couldn't even reach the pedals until about 17 or 18 mo.

I would not recommend a trike at age one to any of my friends IRL.

Other "big" gifts we have enjoyed were a sandbox, a cozy coupe, and a toddler sized arm chair.

Drag0nflygirl
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Cara recieved the Navigator for Christmas. She was 14 months old. She had tried out my friend's when she was only 8 months old. Of course we had her strapped in - but she thought it was great. We use it often - as pp said - in stroller mode. We have the foot rest because she was dragging her feet a bit - and she loves the bell. No air wheels here. They would be great but I don't think you need them. I also think another poster's idea of the toddler sized arm chair was a great one.

Nancy

hillview
06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
DS got the Air Navagator for his first birthday and loved it. It is still too big for him to pedal but with push bar he adores it and runs to it and his helmet whenever he sees it. I think if you have room for it get the inlaws to get it now and he will get YEARS of use from it!
/hillary

kijip
06-03-2007, 02:51 AM
and I to this day count it as the biggest folly of a purchase I have made as a parent. At that age, the most it was to us was a glorified, uncomfortable to push, stroller. He did not start getting into it for almost 2 years after that, no matter how much I would have liked to think he was using it. And believed me I tried to make it his favorite thing for awhile. So in short, we bought something 1-2 years before it was needed and we ultimately ended up wanting something different once he was riding and was a lot bigger.

Still, if they want to go wild with a great trike, I think you would use it. I just don't think you will for sure use it a lot right away.

I think he would likely use a cozy coupe or something like that more.

Still, that is just my 2 cents, YMMV!