PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR camera accessories

bubbaray
06-01-2007, 09:38 PM
OK, so I'm getting myself a Canon Rebel XTi digital SLR camera kit, with standard 18-55 lens. According to DH, I need a few things other than just the camera.

CF card?
different lens?
case?
anything else?

What accessories do you like for your digital SLR camera??

TIA

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

caheinz
06-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Off the top of my head:

Definitely a carrying case -- get one that has room for more than one lens if you plan to have more than one!

Another lens, zoom, in the 20-200ish range (meaning around 20 to around 200!) would be good.

A filter (eg UV) would be good to have for each lens. Besides filtering unwanted wavelengths, it also puts a protective cover on the lens! (Better fingerprints on a $20ish (or less?) filter than on a $x00 lens!

Maybe a tripod. Depends on whether you plan to take any pictures of something standing very still.

That's all I can think of. I'm going to upgrade to a ditigal SLR soon, but this applied when I got my 35mm SLR many years ago!

kcimato
06-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I would skip the 18 55 lens that comes with the camera and just buy a 18-200 that way you only need one lens and will give you just about everything you need. Only buy the body of the camera. The UV filter is a good suggestion along with maybe a polarizer.

I bought a cheap tripod for $30. I think it was a sunpack. It's light and all I need. A remote is also nice. That way you can get in the pictures without running like crazy!

BillK
06-02-2007, 07:03 AM
maybe a good add-on flash - the onboard flash on most dslr's is fair at best.

boys2enough
06-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Good for you! You are going to have so much fun with it.

I am currently doing research on an DSLR myself. A friend of mine sent me a link to this website, specific reviews on lenses for Canon EOS camera.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html

HTH

Cheers, Lin

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

bubbaray
06-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone!

I already bought the kit, so will have the 18-55 lens. The 18-200 was next on my list. A flash sounds like a good idea too. Not sure about the tripod -- not sure if I would use it for still pictures. The whole reason I got this camera is b/c the shutter delay on my compact digital made it near-impossible to get a good shot of BOTH of my in-motion kids! :)

Thanks again!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

cric
06-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd get a cheap tripod, honestly. We use it once per year, mostly. But, I couldn't do a family picture w/o it! We also have a remote.

I have an external flash and I'm not really sure of the best way to use it. That might sound stupid, but there are different settings I don't understand (yet) and you can angle it. All I'm saying is that there may be an additional learning curve on a flash to help you use it the best way possible.

Oh, and if you can find a leash for your lens covers, get one. I am always losing mine and I have to look into that!

ellies mom
06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
An extra battery and a few extra cards as well. If you are looking to play around, a lot of people really like the 50mm lens. You can get them for really reasonable prices.

robyn9474
06-03-2007, 11:24 AM
First off, you're going to love your Rebel. Can't say enough good things about it. I agree with PP's that you'll want a cheap tripod (sunpak makes a nice cheap one), a bag, an extra battery plus charger, and definitely some CF cards. I recommend at least 2 GB, and if you're willing to put out the money I'd get more. I think it's even better to consider getting 2 smaller cards (2 or 4 GB) than one big one... if you're like me and spend more time shooting than uploading, it's nice to have a backup when your card is full. I really like Sandisk Extreme III - the faster the card, the faster your pictures will write to it and the better your camera can perform, especially if you're doing continuous shooting.

Re: lenses... yeah, the 18-55 isn't the best lens, but depending on what you were shooting with before and your skill level, you will still probably love it for at least a little while. As time goes on, you'll want to get yourself another street zoom lens, most certainly. ALso consider the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens... no, it doesn't zoom but it's a great lens for $75. Read some reviews on it and you'll be convinced. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU

Also, can't go wrong with a little lens leash, and another PP mentioned. Generally super cheap (I think mine was $1.50 at bhphotovideo.com, but you can probably find them in B&M stores too).

Good luck!