PDA

View Full Version : Step2 Naturally Playful Sand Table (sand only table, not water)--advice?

MMMommy
06-02-2007, 01:21 AM
I know that the Step2 Naturally Playful Sand and Water Table is a hit with many of the moms and kids, but I was wondering if anyone had the Step2 Naturally Playful Sand Table? It's the one pictured here--

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1347&stp2ssid=EADC62BB-1143-E489-2DCB20A63C32B6D5

I'm more interested in just sand play, versus the sand/water combo table. Any thoughts or opinions on this table? Thx!

kelly ann
06-02-2007, 08:42 AM
That is the sand table I wanted, but I had trouble finding it around here. When I finally found it locally (I needed it for a party), it was almost same price as the combo table at TRU. Therefore, I went with the sand and water combination, but we usually just put sand in both areas. Every so often we do put water in the table.

daisymommy
06-02-2007, 12:52 PM
We have it. It is very, very shallow, and a short table as well. I made the mistake of buying it when Joshua was three, and it was only good for that one season. Even then he was a bit too tall for it. If I had bought it when he was two, it would have been great. But even then, he would have outgrown it in two years. We're keeping it around for Hannah.

MMMommy
06-02-2007, 04:12 PM
My older daughter turned 3 in January and my younger daughter turned 2 in March. My older one is probably slightly petite and my younger one is very petite. I'm wondering now if the table will be too short for them. I'll have to think this out. I still have the Battat sandbox that I am debating on returning or not--I was trying to avoid having them sit in a sandbox.

Thanks for the info!

MMMommy
06-02-2007, 06:29 PM
The Step2 Sand/Water Table is on sale starting tomorrow at Kmart for $59.99. Do you think that would be a better buy for a 2 and 3 year old in terms of height and size, versus this sand only table, which sounds relatively short? Also, do you think there would be enough sand play if I put sand on both sides instead of just on the sand side? Sorry for all these questions. One question always leads to another.... Thx.

caleymama
06-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I can't get your link to open so I haven't seen the sand only table, but wanted to say that we're starting our 3rd summer of using the Sand/Water table with only sand. Both DDs are tall for their age (4.5 and 2.5) and still play at it fine. When we first got the table (and only had one DD!) we tried it with sand on one side and water on the other. It didn't take long for DD to mix it all into a sandy sludge. So, from then on it's been sand only and they both love it. HTH!

DebbieJ
06-02-2007, 10:34 PM
If you are near an Aldi store, they had a sand only table.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

MMMommy
06-03-2007, 12:15 AM
All this is helpful. It seems like the Step2 sand/water table has longevity and accommodates children of all ages more. I just wish the Step2 sand only table had taller legs, then it would be perfect. The Step2 sand table (sand only) is $49.99 at a local toy store and harder to find overall, the Step2 sand/water table is $59 on sale starting tomorrow at Kmart, and the Battat sandbox is $79.99 (love the look, but not the lack of portability and lack of a solid, strong cover). It seems like the $10 difference between the sand only and the sand/water table is more than justified by the larger play area, umbrella, dual types of play, etc. Sigh. Decisions, decisions. I love all your insight, so please keep on giving it. Thx.

caleymama
06-03-2007, 07:25 AM
The link opened fine this AM so I was able to make a comparison. If I were choosing between the two Step2 models, I would get the sand/water table because of the higher height and larger dimensions. The umbrella is nice too, which reminds me, I need to figure out how to get the golf ball DD jammed down the umbrella hole out so we can actually use the umbrella! Both DDs play comfortably at it and it can easily fit a couple more kids around it. The cover is also great because when we're done, we're done - my 2 yr old often has to be physically removed from beside the sand table when it's time to come in at the end of the day. It also keeps all rain, etc out and has shown no signs of wearing out. I too wanted a sandbox but didn't want one that they sat in and this truly has been perfect. Good luck with your decision! I'm sure they'll have fun with whatever you choose.

MMMommy
06-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks Liz! Very helpful!

bunnisa
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Just an FYI: I suggest you don't put this on a deck. The sand grinds into the deck surface and gets caught in the cracks (read: huge mess).

Personally I'd go with a regular sand box or one of the Turtle sand boxes.

...blessed wife and mama to two & one due this summer!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

MMMommy
06-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Liz--Sorry about my silly questions, but since you now fill the sand/water table only with sand, do you let the kids use water on the sand at all (using small pails, cups, etc. even though no water is in the water side) or have you eliminated water from the equation entirely? I was wondering if wet sand will dry with the lid on overnight. Also wondering if there are any issues with clogging in the drain plug. The sand/water table looks great though, and I'm sure my girls will love it either way.

caleymama
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
We don't use any water with it now, mainly just because they haven't asked and I haven't offered. I doubt it would dry with the lid on overnight, but I suppose it depends on the amount of water used! Our first bag of sand this season was really damp and it took a day or two in the sun (with the lid on at night) to get loose and flowy. As far as I know, we haven't had any issues with clogging the drain plug but I haven't looked either. I guess maybe I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The only "issue" we've had are that if the umbrella is not in, they will dump sand down the umbrella hole and it goes right through. Currently that's not an issue because DD jammed a golf ball in the hole and now no sand goes through but the umbrella doesn't go in either! At our current house we have it on an area of loose gravel where the previous owners had a fountain. Any spilled sand (and there is plenty) blends right in. At our old house, the spilled sand ended up in the grass or on our driveway and neither was a great place for it. So I definitely agree with the poster who recommended not to put it on a deck. I can see how it could easily damage the wood.

MMMommy
06-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Oooh. Liking the ease and function of this sand/water table below, but NOT the high price. Can't justify paying three times the price of the Step2 Sand/Water table for this. Why is something so simple and basic so expensive?

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=308&pcount=0&Product_Id=92289&RememberSectionId=307&RememberCatalogId=1