PDA

View Full Version : What age for Heelys?

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2007, 09:08 AM
My almost 5yo is nagging me daily to get a pair but in my mind there is no way he is ready for them. He can't roller blade or roller skate yet (though he has tried some). And the idea of being on wheels with ne helmet or padding worries me though I know that the design probably makes them a little "safer." Thoughts?

Beth

Tondi G
06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
My 5, almost 6 year old begs for them everytime he sees a kid skating around on those heelys! It makes me nuts! The product packaging says... please wear a helmet when using these. Uh yeah.... kids are going to go out and about everyday with a helmet on just in case they decide to roll around on their heelys..... yeah right!

Having been through 2 broken arms (one that required surgery) in the last 6 months we are not looking for anything that could cause another fall and trip to the ER! He was just running around on the sidewalk in his CROCS and fell and got hurt..... Heelys won't be coming into our house for a long time!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

ellies mom
06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
My 38 year old husband is dying for a pair and was seriously pouting when he found out they didn't make them in his size.

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
6 years ago we were traveling with friends and a kid went by on Heely like shoes (not sure if that was the brand or not) and 1 of the guys in our group chased after him to find out what they were. Next week he was the proud owner of a pair. I know someone did make adult sizes...not that you need to let dh know that. ;)

Beth

ellies mom
06-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh, he has already looked into it. He wears an 11 and the largest he has been able to find is a 10. He really wants a pair.

vwh99
06-03-2007, 01:27 AM
There was an article about Heelys in this month's Pediatrics journal, studying the types of injuries sustained and trying to raise public awareness that there is an increasing trend in orthopedic injuries specifically due to these types of shoes.

Results showed:
-Upper limb injuries where most common (broken forearms/hands, dislocated elbows)
-Majority of injuries were sustained while using them outdoors
-20% of injuries occurred while trying them for the first time
-36% occurred while learning (tries 1-5)

Recommendations were for close supervision while a child is first learning and for use of protective gear at all times.

Hope the above info is helpful. Personally, those shoes drive me crazy since I have NEVER seen a child wear protective gear while using them.

Val

egoldber
06-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Most kids I see wearing them are early elementary school age, so maybe 7 to 10?? But I hate them because I've been slammed into more than once by kids wearing these shoes, usually while pushing a stroller in the mall and a kid is trying to zoom around me.

betsydenny
06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
My friend is an ER doc and she said they have had TONS of kids come in with broken bones and concussions due to walking/skating in Heelys without proper padding.
She said no way to her kids.
We aren't there yet but I am not keen on them knowing about all the injuries.
At least with roller blades and bikes they have to wear helmets and protective gear. These seem to create a more fuzzy line and thus less enforcement of safety.
HTH!
Betsy

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Yahoo! health just posted an article today about how many injuries these things are causing- and how you need to wear protective gear. I will continue to be the bad guy and just tell ds "no, they are unsafe." He hears that a lot from me so he's used to it. :)

Beth

brittone2
06-05-2007, 07:05 AM
In line with what several PPs mentioned:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/parenting/06/04/rolling.sneakers/index.html

I don't think we can protect our kids from everything and inevitably, they'll get hurt sometimes when they play hard. But the catch w/ these IMO is that no one wears a helmet or pads when using Heelys, and really, they aren't much different than something like rollerblades in terms of the types of injuries. So if you wouldn't feel comfy with your kid rollerblading without a helmet and pads, I don't think Heelys should be used without them, kwim?