PDA

View Full Version : which exersaucer is best?

dbirnbaum
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
i am buying stuff for a baby we are adopting who should be here around 8 months old. any recommendations for an exersaucer or other stuff? thanks alot debbie

o_mom
06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
If there is any chance your child will have developmental delays (very common in international adoptions) then I would not get an exersaucer. There are lots of good threads here on them and why they are not good for development, just do a search on exersaucer. For a normally developing child they have a very limited use (20 min or less per day), but for a delayed child they are not recommended at all.

elephantmeg
06-05-2007, 05:50 AM
for the limited use that we had with one I was glad I picked up a slightly older model at a second hand kids stuff store! It was good for when DS was crawling and I needed him somewhere safe and entertaining for a couple minutes but YMMV. He really only used it from 7 or 8 months to 11 months or so.

brittone2
06-05-2007, 06:34 AM
ITA. I worked as a physical therapist in early intervention (0-3 yr olds) before becoming a SAHM. Particularly with an international adoption, I would avoid them (as well as walkers and jumper seats). There are many, many old threads in the archives if you want more info. Also, at 8 months, the lifespan of a saucer would be pretty limited anyway.

Congratulations to you by the way :)

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2007, 08:08 AM
I probably wouldn't get one unless you can find a free or really, really cheap one. My ds had no desire to be in there at 8 months. He was walking at 9 months though- he wanted lots of floor time for practice. He did enjoy cruising the perimeter and playing with the toys for a long time so it wouldn't be a total waste to have it. But, definetly not a necessity. :)

If you do have choices I wold look for one with lots of activities and possibly one that folds up if you will be keeping / storing it.

Beth

set81616
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
At 8 months my son loved things he could do in and out with. Stacking cups, shaky eggs etc. He loved to lay there and really examine a toy so things that are easily manipultaed and have things to turn or squeak. A lot of the older classic toys are perfect. Once he started crawling he loved balls. I still used a wrap at times to carry him at that age and some people use them until well past a year. I think there is a folder just for that. I used a sling and a moby wrap depending on the situation. You will probably need less than you think because 8 - 12 months is a big transition age where they change what they need and want. Congratulations.
Shannon

set81616
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
At 8 months my son loved things he could do in and out with. Stacking cups, shaky eggs etc. He loved to lay there and really examine a toy so things that are easily manipultaed and have things to turn or squeak. A lot of the older classic toys are perfect. Once he started crawling he loved balls. I still used a wrap at times to carry him at that age and some people use them until well past a year. I think there is a folder just for that. I used a sling and a moby wrap depending on the situation. You will probably need less than you think because 8 - 12 months is a big transition age where they change what they need and want. Congratulations.
Shannon

clc053103
06-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I used an exersaucer w/ DS- in limited lengths of time b/c of the developmental delays cautioned about here (Also, they are not recc for preemies either).

Had Baby Einstein at home, Evenflo at my MIL. He loved the Baby Einstein- never took to the Evenflo. IMO, the evenflo had too much stuff on it! Baby Einstein also less expensive, so if you only use it a limited amount of time, the cost is more reasonable.