PDA

View Full Version : Bike Recommendations?

annasmom
06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I am thinking about getting my dd a bike for her 4th birthday and was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations. I have read nearly every thread about the balance bikes - but am concerned that she might be a bit too old for those.

I am also concerned about spending a ton of money on a bike. I bought a kettler last Christmas and it has hardly been ridden on. I called our local bike shop for prices on the children's trek bikes and they cost $150. If she will get several years of use from the bike, I might be more inclined to shell out that type of money.

So here are my questions in a nutshell:

Does anyone have a general recommendation?

How many years realistically will she get out of a first bike?

Are the lesser expensive bikes really poorly made??

TIA!!

o_mom
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
DS1 just got a balance bike at 3.5 and has plenty of time to grow with it. At $54 shipped it was similar cost to an inexpensive regular bike at Target. I figure in another year we can spend $50 on the next one and once he is riding well consider a better bike if he wants to go on long rides with DH.

My sister's kids have had the inexpensive Walmart/Target type bikes as the first one and it has held up through several kids.

annasmom
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Where did you get your balance bike?

o_mom
06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
We got a KinderBike one from their outlet. They are basically the same bikes but you can't return it. Ours had a few paint imperfections, but you can't tell unless you are looking. Looks like they are out of stock in the outlet right now, but they were pretty regular in getting more. The 2007 is the same as the 2006, just a different paint.

http://www.mykinderbike.com/store/index.php3

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
We've got the cheapo bike from toys r us. On sale for 29.99. You could also get the inexpensive bike from target or walmart. I would have bought from there except tru was having a great sale (although due to their cs practices we will not be shopping there again).
I looked on the consumer reports website about this and there were some good points made.

1. There are several differant wheel diameters,you're child will probobly go through a couple of bikes in the next few years as they grow. I think we got dd a 24"diameter wheel. The next size up was too big for her to safely pedel.But she'll probobly be big enough for it in about 3-4 years.

2. The quality really isn't bad with the cheaper bikes. The training wheels work great. And our chains never come off. If you want to spend the extra money I'd say upgrade on your safety equipment and get your dc a really good helmet.

3. I've gotta admit that when I was a little girl the bikes with the sparkle streamers from the handle and the basket on the front was the one I dreamed about. I didn't get exactly that one and while I was happy with what I had was still envious of the little girls with their dolls in their baskets.

annasmom
06-07-2007, 01:10 PM
>
> 3. I've gotta admit that when I was a little girl the bikes
>with the sparkle streamers from the handle and the basket on
>the front was the one I dreamed about. I didn't get exactly
>that one and while I was happy with what I had was still
>envious of the little girls with their dolls in their
>baskets.

Thanks! This is so true! When I was little I wanted the pink Huffy SO badly. I ended up with a 5 (or was it 10) speed Schwinn. To this day my dh still kids me about the Huffy!

stefani
06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Eileen,

How about the FunOne bike? I want it so badly for DS, but he is still too small for it.

I found one site, but I think there is another one. Search for it in this forum.

http://www.bikemania.biz/FunOne_Children_s_Bicycle_p/funone.htm

The FunOne is a balance bike, but then you can add the pedals once they learn to balance. I don't have the lowest inseam measurements with me, but it is taller than Kinderbike (which I ended up getting for DS).

ETA: http://www.funonebikes.com/index.html

Thatchermom
06-13-2007, 06:16 PM
FunOne's are much cheaper on Ebay, and you are still purchasing from the company. Just do a search for "no training wheels". There is always one listed. DS is growing out of his FunOne now at nearly 6. We have loved it!

jess
06-13-2007, 08:29 PM
We just got my daughter a FunOne bike (through eBay), and LOVE it! It was fairly easy to put together, looks great, and I can really tell that she's starting to realize how to balance and feels comfortable on it. She is 4, and is about 44" tall, and has an inseam measurement of 19" (FunOne recommends that the child's inseam be 18" or more so they fit the bike well). We are hoping that maybe by fall we can add the pedals. Here's the link to the eBay auction:
http://tinyurl.com/26res5

Hope this helps,

Shannon

annasmom
06-13-2007, 08:35 PM
WOW! That is a great price. I will have to measure my dd tomorrow. The one thing that bothers me though, and I know this sounds lame, but it doesn't come in any other colors!! I know she will be disappointed if she doesn't get a pink bike!

jess
06-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I was initally annoyed that there were no other color options, but then thought that in the end red was good, since we can easily pass it on down to her brother--we were able, however, to add a girly touch to the bike by getting the handlebar tassel things at a local bike shop. They are pink/purple/silver, and while they clash terribly with the bike, they make her happy :).

stefani
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Wow, Susan, that is a great price! I wish they make a smaller one, LOL.

Maybe next year if we haven't gotten him a regular two-wheeler yet. He is learning to balance on the Kinderbike now.

August Mom
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
I would take your DD with you and test drive some different bikes to see what fits her best and what she likes. I was willing to try a cheaper bike at TRU but DS was really scared about riding them. We wound up with a Giant Animator (around $120). It fit him the best and he felt most secure on it. I figured I hadn't saved any money buying a TRU bike that he wasn't going to ride. I was told at the bike shop that it would probably last us 2-3 years (DS is 4, almost 5 but small for his age).