PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood floors help

mtrattner
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
So we are now getting settled into our little home and have 1200 square feet of hardwood. So please share how to care for them.

What type of broom, mop, cleaner, etc works best on hardwood?

JBaxter
06-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I have hardwood in part of my down stairs. I either use my dirtdevil stick vac or sweep with a straw broom. I mop with a sponge mop that says its for hardwood. I ONLY use vinegar and water and it works wonderful

carolines mommy
06-10-2007, 10:48 PM
I only use vinegar and water too. I have a Scotchbrite mop from Target that has 2 different kind of washable mopheads. Basically a Swiffer with reusable mop heads. I also use vinegar and water in my Hoover Floormate. That works great too.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

kaitlinsmommy
06-10-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a house full of hardwood floors and have only used Murphy's oil soap (which isn't fantastic). How much vinegar do you mix with the water? I will have to try this soon.

JBaxter
06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
LOL Ive never measured I just dump but I think a cup+ in the bucket of hot water. I like Heinz white vinegar it has much less of a vinegar smell than other brands

BillK
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
We don't have hardwood...yet. But in another 3-4 weeks we will and this what we plan to do (from the place we're getting our hardwood at):
http://www.sheogaflooring.com/flooring/care/

mtrattner
06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Can you share more about your Floormate? Do you recommend it? I ended up getting the Scotchbrite and I use it constantly. (we have dog) But I was wondering if the Floormate was worthwhile and what you like and dislike about it.

Thanks so much.