PDA

View Full Version : Bike helmets

KrystalS
06-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I just ordered DD a Puky bike and I need to get her a helmet. I don't want to spend a lot but I want something that is comfortable so she'll wear it. Is it okay to order helmets or do I need to take her somewhere so she can be fitted for one? We live in a rural area so the closest bike shop is going to be at least an hour away. Are the helmets at Target/Walmart okay?

deannanb
06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
YES!!!!
She needs a helmet!
there are all kinds of helmets that will work just find at Target and Walmart.

The important thing to remember is that it shouldn't be too loose on the head - the point of the helmet is to protect the head - and if the helmet were to fall off, then no protection

Jen841
06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Both kids first helmets were fitted at stores. DH is super careful about making sure they always fit them well, and he now can make the necessary adjustments. He'll only let me buy Bell ones b/c you can adjust them the best he says. We just got a Schwinn one from Target (my error) and it has to go back b/c he could not get it to fit as well as the ones that carry the Bell name.b

August Mom
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
I bought a Schwinn helmet at Target and DS hated it. He did not want to wear it and it was a PITB to adjust. We went to a bike shop, he got to pick out a helmet and have it fitted and he has loved it ever since. We have the Giro Rodeo. It is super easy to adjust.

sarahsthreads
06-11-2007, 04:46 PM
We adore our Giro Me2! (http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Me-Youth-Cycling-Helmet/dp/B0006B6VU6)

I bought it at a bike shop for $30. I did try to get a cheaper one at Target, but I didn't feel like any of them fit DD very well. This one is so easy to adjust, and I believe there's a trade up program for when she outgrows it. (And it will probably be a while, the adjustment system seems like it will accommodate quite a lot of growth.)

Sarah :)

shburks
06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Just measure her head so you know how big it is and then you're good to go. It would great if you could get to a bike shop, but if not, you can make do with ordering on-line or buying a Target/Walmart one.

We all wear Giro helmets and they are so awesome! Super easy to adjust and will grow with ds as his head gets bigger!

Susan

xmasbabycomin
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
If you're more picky about money than brand, Tuesday Morning had better prices than Target. Also, BRU has a better selection than Target if you can't make it to a bike shop.

shilo
06-15-2007, 03:09 AM
the bell and the giro probably have the best reputation/safety track record amongst bikers - we're a giro family, but bell is an equally good brand. if you have an rei near you by any chance, they stock both in kids/toddler helmets and will fit your kiddo. if not, pp's are right. both have highly adjustable harness (strap) and ratchet systems for circumference adjustability to help you get a nice snug, but comfortable fit - you ought to be able to do it pretty easily yourself if you follow the directions. they both also use lighterweight designs and good venting systems. you should be able to use head circumference measurements to help you order the right size - assuming that, it's just fine to order.

it's not to say you can't get a 'safe' helmet at target/walmart tho- you absolutely can! you just probably won't get some of the adjustability and comfort features/lightweight materials like you would in the higher end (more expensive) brands.

most important thing no matter what brand you end up with is that it fits snug, level and low over the forhead (think 1" above eyebrows) - like when a baseball pitcher brings his cap down low to sheild his eyes before he pitches. most kids (and adults) you see out and about where their helmets incorrectly. far too loose and way back on their heads - if you can wiggle the helmet easily, it won't do much to protect a noggin at crash speed. if it's back on the head and they take a header, they'll hit upperface/forhead first and the helmet won't be able to provide any impact protection. teach your kiddo (or help them) to open and close the ratcheting system every time - don't just leave it set and take it on and off, open it, pull the helmet down level and low and then snug it down each time you put it on. also, once you make the initial adjustments, check it frequently, b/c the harness straps will stretch over time.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.