PDA

View Full Version : Best play food for 2yo

leeza
06-10-2007, 04:18 PM
We just bought our 2yo DS a kidkraft kitchen for his birthday in two weeks, and I'd like to get some food for him to play with. It seems like the Melissa & Doug cuttable food (w/dull knife and velcro between slices,) is a great product... any other recos? I'm trying to stay away from things that are too flimsy or small enough for our little one to choke on.

TIA

Leeza
DS1 is 2 6/21, DS2 is 3mos

new_mommy25
06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
We have a mixture of M&D, Play Wonder (Target) and Walmart (M&D knock off) wooden food. I allow my 13 month old to play with them. The only piece that is kind of a problem is a little avocado that came with the Play Wonder food set ( http://tinyurl.com/2pmndt ) so I put that up high.

Jen841
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't have food other than what you have to recommend, but I do recommend hitting the dollar store to get some fun "toys". Due to a limited kitchen in corp housing I bought a number of things. J assumed them with glee when we moved into our house. He loves HIS measuring cups, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, ice cube trays, ladle and containers (sour cream, yogurt, etc. I wash and give to the cause.) Cheap and hours of great imaginary meals together.

BeachBum
06-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I have been disappointed with the quality of the M&D food. The Playwonder brand from Target has held up much better for us. DS LOVES the cutting food. I had to take the carrot away from DS because once it is cut it is too small for my comfort.
You can find M&D food at Tuesday morning, Marshalls etc for about $17 per set. That is a significant savings from what my local toy stores charge.
I know a lot of people really like the HABA food, but some of it is really small. Just be aware of that if you shop online.
I agree that cheap measuring cups, spoons, pasta boxes and other "real" things scavenged from my kitchen are favorites.