PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations by age??

Emmas Mom
06-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I was wondering if there are lists of book recommendations by age anywhere? Our older DD is turning four in a couple months & I'm finding our current selection of books lacking. I feel like we just read & re-read the same few stories (mostly Dr. Suess). I'd like to get her some new books to read. Any ideas?

egoldber
06-10-2007, 07:37 PM
This isn't by age, but this post had tons of great recs:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=73468&mesg_id=73468&page=

I think practically all of these are suitable for a 4 year old.

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease has suggestions by age range. But a lot of it is kid dependent. What appeals to one 4 year old may not appeal to another. And my 5 year old still loves lots of "baby" books, like Sandra Boynton.

katydid1971
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I like this one at PBSparents.org
Sarah

http://www.pbs.org/parents/bookfinder/

kaitlinsmommy
06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm glad you received some great resources for finding new books. We are also library lovers here, although once in awhile I try to return books & not get new ones because we tend to neglect the books we own.

I went to the PBS website & it was interesting because when I typed in preschooler the list of books that came up were ones that dd enjoyed when she was younger. She's 4 1/2 & there were more books in the kindergarten category that we are reading now (like "When Sophie Gets Angry...").

I just wanted to mention we've loved Knuffle Bunny, the Blue Kangaroo books, David Shannon & dd's all-time favorites are Berenstain Bears & Angelina Ballerina. We always have those from the library. Of course, she still enjoys the baby books I read to her brother too. I think it's great that she likes them all.

Have fun reading! It is so much fun!!

Emmas Mom
06-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks ladies! This gives me some good ideas. Where are your favorite places to buy books. Is Overstock still good?

denna
06-14-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi Kristine-

Barnes and Noble is my personal favorite (I have signed up for the Membership and get special promos and a discount on every Title). They also have recommendation lists by age:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-junior/index.asp?z=y

If you scroll down slightly you can see Shop By Age as well as seperate categories for Books, DVDs and more.

HTH

jess
06-14-2007, 08:22 AM
We love Half Price Books, as well as Borders outlet. Both have brand new books, usually for at least half off the retail price. At Half Price, I've often found new books before they've become well-known--I've bought a couple there that ended up winning the Caldecott or other award long after we first spotted them at Half Price. A bonus at Half Price is that you can turn in your old books for either a store credit or cash back.

Online, I often shop for books at Amazon, Kidsurplus, and sometimes Land of Nod has some nice ones in their sale section.