PDA

View Full Version : Packing lunches

calv
06-11-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm curious as to in what you pack your kids lunches? Rubbermaid containers/tupperware? i'm looking for some fun/practical ways to pack lunches/snacks while we're out and about. :)

brittone2
06-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Have you seen the laptop lunchbox? That's pretty cool :) We don't have one but I know a lot of people love theirs.

There are even websites like:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/laptop_lunches/

This one is vegan, but can be de-veganized. Fun inspiration (the archived posts are on the left margin...she doesn't post as much now that her cookbook is out)
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

SnuggleBuggles
06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Ds has a standard lunchbox ("Cars" from the Disney Store) and I put most everyting in it in unbleaced, waxed paper bags. Not very exciting, I know. :)

Beth

calv
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
OMG, I was just coming to edit my post. seems expensive but i'm so tempted. they also have deals on ebay! =)

brittone2
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I think the laptop lunchbox things are really cute. I just picked up a Crocodile Creek lunchbox for DS at a local store over the weekend. I found 4 small glass containers that fit inside (quite snugly) for snacks. Not sure how the glass will work out, but he'll be with me when he's using it so I'm not too worried. You could probably find plastic square containers that would fit as well if you wanted to go that route.

FWIW, the type of plastic in the laptop lunchbox things is #5, considered one of the "safer" plastics if that is a concern at all.

I know based on dimensions I've heard people say the LL should fit inside the Crocodile Creek lunchboxes, so that's an option too for extra cuteness ;) . I can't confirm that they fit from first hand experience or anything though.

Crocodile Creek is a company that is local to us here in NC, so I like supporting them, and their lunchboxes are confirmed to be lead, phthalate, and PVC free. DS picked out the one w/ construction vehicles on it :)

Corie
06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Beth,

I love the Crocodile Creek lunch boxes!! So cute!

I was going to get the construction vehicles one for Knox. Maybe the butterflies
for Carson.

calv
06-11-2007, 11:02 AM
where's the BEST/cheapest place to get these Crocodile Creek lunchboxes?

emilyf
06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I really like my laptop lunch box-ds used it every day for school this year, and it has held up great. I love that I have to fill four boxes, and it forces me to get creative-I also think he is more likely to eat everything because it looks so nice packed and nothing gets smushed.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

calv
06-11-2007, 01:07 PM
where did you buy it from?

muskiesusan
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
We also use the Laptop Lunches and love them. Nick has the LLBean Critter lunch box and it can fit two Laptop boxes in it (with no room to spare) or one box w/ a Thermas Funtainer (and more room to spare).

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

KrystalS
06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Just thought I would mention that a coop board I'm a member of is planning to order the laptop lunchboxes soon. They haven't posted the price yet, but it will be discounted. Here's a link
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diaper_bag_co_op/

ETA: They just posted the sale info. As of right now it will be 15% off the list price, however if there are a lot of orders the board owner may be able to negotiate a bigger discount.

calv
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Come join and get em' ladies. They're being offered at a great price!!!!!! I plan to get a few. Not sure if I'll use the Laptop Lunch Bento Box Set (found http://www.laptoplunches.com/products.html) and I'm not quite sure if I'll use them w/the crocodile creek lunchbox OR the LL bean luncboxes. I really like the idea of having a juice drink fit in.

What OTHER lunch boxes/packaging do you ladies use?????

REMEMBER the more we order as a group the better discount we get. ;)

eb1
06-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Just to double-check--and sorry if this sounds daft--but the LLBean lunch box can hold two entire Laptop Lunch "systems" (two each of the the outer boxes, not just two of the larger inner sandwich-sized containers)?

I thought someone had posted long ago that they didn't think even one Laptop system fit in the Critter lunch box, so I just wanted to clarify.

TIA!

calv
06-12-2007, 08:30 AM
i'd be intersted in hearing this also. actually according to LL bean the critter dimension are

Would the PP mind posting a pic of the critter bag w/the LL inside of it?

THIS IS WHAT I FOUNDL: The critter dimensions are as follows: 350 cu. in. 7"H x 9¼"W x 4¼"D. 7 oz. Imported.

from the LL website:

Dimensions

length = 9 inches
width = 7 inches
height = 2 inches
length of utensils = 6 1/2 inches
larger inner containers = 4.5 x 3 x 1.75 inches
smaller inner containers = 3 x 2 x 1.75 inches
dip container = 1.5 x 1 x 1.5 inches

eb1
06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes, I looked at those dimensions too and it certainly seems that the Laptop Lunch Set could fit (or two of them, given the bag's depth), but I recall some questions about this in a previous post wihtout any definitive answers...and you know how sometimes things with the same dimensions don't actually have enough wiggle room to work?

muskiesusan
06-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, I can fit two entire systems in one Critter lunch pack perfectly. Nick has it at camp right now, so I will take a picture when he returns.

There was some discussion if it would fit or not and I decided to take the plunge and just find out. I have been meaning to update that post, but I always remember when I am not at my computer! Oh, and I just got the Critter lunch box a few months ago, so this is current information.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

calv
06-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Pics would be great. THANKS again. :)

kayte
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry if this has been explained before... but if you get the laptop lunch box with the inner containers--- how do you keep it cold? You have to get a separate outer container and that will house the box and some ice packs, is that correct?

TIA

eb1
06-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks so much!

muskiesusan
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Here are the pics of the LL Bean Critter lunchbox with the Laptop.

This is one Laptop w/ Thermos.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/muskiesusan/IMG_1850.jpg

Here are two Laptops. I don't know if you can see it or not, but in the mesh pocket is one Juicy Juice box; this is also where I put my ice pack. The juice box makes it a little lumpy on the outside, but it still zips up.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/muskiesusan/IMG_1854.jpg

Oh, and my DH thinks I have lost my mind for taking these pictures.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

lilycat88
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Where is the co-op information? I've looked and don't see it anywhere.

Thanks!

saoirse00
06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Susan,
We have the same lunch box for my son, but I have a question about the Funtainer. Is it the food storage container or the straw cup? Thanks so much!

muskiesusan
06-13-2007, 05:36 AM
It's the straw cup. Now, I can fit the laptop, straw cup, and the food storage container in at once, but it bulges a bit (still fully zippable). The lunchbox is so flexible, I think it gives you a lot of options.

ETA: Because I packed that combo today, I snapped a pic of the outside.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/muskiesusan/IMG_1857.jpg

HTH

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

calv
06-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks so much Susan. Tell your DH the pics are for a bunch of nutty woman who are shopping, we're the nuts, not you. ;)

What lunchbox is that, the Gecko one? thanks again. I'm glad to see the critter lunchbox has a pouch to put the ice and/or drink there.

YOU ROCK! =)

muskiesusan
06-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Well, I am a bit nuts myself as I just added another pic above!

It is the Gecko one.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

saoirse00
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow--that is awesome!! I would never have thought to put both of the containers in there. My DS and DD's lunch experiences are going to be a whole lot brighter from now on! Thank you for posting (and taking pictures!!)

JacksMommy
06-15-2007, 03:19 PM
To anyone who might be thinking that the Laptop lunch containers are expensive, here is my perspective.

Yes, $25 is a lot, especially when it's just for the bento box and you still need to buy an outer container/drinks cup. However, before we had our LL, we were using ziploc baggies that always got thrown out and or the kids were constantly misplacing a lid to a little tupperware dish in there, which then had to be replaced. These things equal money over the long run. Because of the orderliness of the bento box, it's impossible to miss when something is missing (except possibly the lid to the one that has its own lid, but so far that hasn't happened). They are colorful, which helps also, in that it's harder to miss them.

Also it is great to not have to be searching around for lids that fit each little container and try to pack them in in what ever configuration works. This is all nice and neat, and much less hassle. Plus, like pp said, it inspires the lunch packer (usually DH) to put in a wider variety of foods, which is also excellent.

Thanks to the PP for the flikr link - lots of cool stuff on there, although I found myself wondering where on earth do these mamas find this kind of time!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

kayte
06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I just wanted to add that yesterday I bought a outer box at Walmart for 3.44. It is lead free and made by Sub Zero. The measurements are identical to the critter. The only difference appears to be the mesh pocket is on the outside instead of the inside. I bought one for 3.44, who can pass it up. I plan on ordering the bento box through the co-op. Just thought I would share the find.

calv
06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
can you please post a pic? is it a lunchbox or a box for the misc. small containers that hold the food? thanks for the heads up.

kayte
06-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, it's a lunch box. Insulated. I will try and post a pictures tomorrow when the little one naps.

ETA

http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/231052.jpg

DebbieJ
06-16-2007, 08:46 AM
I use the Lunch-N-Things from Tupperware. We just went to the zoo this week and it worked great!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

almostmom
06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Where do you buy your Funtainers? (Never heard of them, but I need two!)

Also, do you wash the bento boxes every night, or do you have two sets?

Thanks!

octmom
09-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Susan,

I like the Funtainer straw cup too! Where did you find the dinosaur one? DS has a Little Einsteins funtainer straw cup from Target, but I didn't see the dinos. Very cute! They look a bit like the dinos from the How Do Dinosaurs... series of books.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06