PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Wooden Railway - Recall on various items!

giavila
06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Hello,

I lurk here a lot and post occasionally... my friend just sent me this info on some Thomas Wooden Railway pieces.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07212.html

suz
06-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I just read this and came on here to post too. I am shocked. For the amount of money that I paid for these, I would think this would not be an issue. Why oh why do they allow lead paint on children's toys.

shburks
06-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Thank you so much! We only have one car affected by this fortunately, but I sent this out to my friends with boys. I *know* they'll have some cars affected.

new_mommy25
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm pissed because we have about 1/2 the trains and the smelting yard and ice cream factory. And I have a one year old that mouths the trains. I am concerned about the shipping. They want us to ship those things back for a replacement train which will cost about $10 I am guessing. I tried to call them today to see if they were going to refund shipping charges but they were already closed for the day. I'll try again in the morning. I don't see why I should have to pay for their error.

shburks
06-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree with you about not having to pay shipping. PLEASE let us know what they say.

Thanks.

eb1
06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Please do let us know what they say. I have emailed the company regarding the same shipping expense issue, but also to express my indignation that this error has occurred in the first place--and that it took the company 2.5 years to discover (or reveal) it.

The return form gives no indication that shipping will be refunded. It says to allow 6-8 weeks for processing, and that we will receive replacement pieces as well as a "free gift." Some consolation.

SpaceGal
06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I found this form on the rc2 web site for those that want to send them back. I'm bummed about the shipping too...but looks like you will get replacements and a free gift the form says. Maybe they buildings will fit in one of those flat rate boxes?? Just a thought. But I do hope they pay for shipping but something tells me they won't since it's a voluntary recall.

US residents:
http://rc2corp.com/company/recallinfo/ReturnForm_US.pdf

Canadian residents:
http://rc2corp.com/company/recallinfo/ReturnForm_Canada.pdf

Hope that helps.

eb1
06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
The recall states that these toys should be taken away from young children "immediately," so the concept of this being "voluntary" is absurd. Yes, it's voluntary to return the items, but otherwise you're out the cost of the pieces.

new_mommy25
06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I totally agree with you. I don't see how an item with lead paint which is hazardous to young children should fall under a 'voluntary recall'. Especially since several of our trains have had the paint chip. I'm going to fight them on the shipping. It's one thing to stick a few trains in a bubble envelope and send for a few dollars first class. But when you've got several of the big items, which cost a freaking fortune anyway, then we're talking quite a bit money. Plus we live in Hawaii so no Fed Ex or UPS ground for us. I'm at the mercy of the USPS and if the items don't fit in a flat rate box then it will cost much more.

nicknack
06-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Ugh, that is so ridiculous!

I have a question, though, is it ANY Skarloey, James, etc...because it mentioned something about a code being on the bottom but when I checked out our Skarloey, there was nothing.

UGHGHGHGHG.

katydid1971
06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I am very angry about this becuase I am paying $10-$20 for a single train. These aren't some cheepo dollar store toy. I can not believe they would not have made sure that these weren't lead free long before they even sold these. I am not going to buy anymore Thomas products (and I have my fair share). Its going to be only brio trains from here on out for me. I am so mad becuase I really like these toys for my son. I am at a loss that a "higher end" toy would be so dangerous!!!!!On top of that I am angry about the time and money I am going to have to spend to ship these back. Boooooooo Thomas!!!!
Sarah

ehmom
06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
what about retired or exclusive pieces? will i get back a skarloey? i have a friend whose son is way into every character. will he get another skarloey, or just some other engine? they have a big mess on their hands, and i agree that the "free gift" is not compensation enough. they should at least let you know what it will be, or how much it will be worth. (insert unhappy face)

06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Is the holiday caboose the "winter caboose" in the Thomas & Friends Around the Tree set or are they different?

I'm really angry about the trains. Luckily DS is just now getting old enough for trains so that he hasn't been exposed to any of these, but 2 of my nephews seem to have every Thomas toy invented. And to think I bought DS this set because it was safer wood and not plastic.

Christine W

new_mommy25
06-13-2007, 11:18 PM
>Is the holiday caboose the "winter caboose" in the Thomas &
>Friends Around the Tree set or are they different?

I believe it is different. There is a picture on the website.

denna
06-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Glenda,

Im came here to do the same thing. I have made another post in the lounge just to make sure the word gets out.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this here.

KBecks
06-14-2007, 06:34 AM
I saw letters on the insides of the wheels, if that helps. I think that's what they're talking about re: codes. The letters on ours were not the ones listed as "OK".

eb1
06-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Call or send them an email! Even though they're unlikely to make any concessions or special arrangements, this gives you an opportunity to vent to the "right" people and let them know how poorly they are handling this! The more people they hear from, the better.

This is the recall-specific email address:
[email protected]

Or, through Learning Curve's website, to general customer service:
http://tinyurl.com/2nepoq

How did quality control miss this issue for 2.5 years??

jse107
06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Well, now the website's down and I can't print the recall form! I'm so disappointed--but not as disappointed as DS, who was just about to get James and his boxcar!

I'm looking forward to updates from others.

smilla653
06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I just wanted to post to vent. We have almost *no* other toys from China (and certainly no plastic ones) and I am horrified that they would use lead paint. About 90% of our sons toys are made from natural materials and not from China and not licensed characters, and STILL this happens. Grrr. We never wanted any Thomas in the first place but 1)Brio moved their production to China, too and their products have gotten more plasticky and 2)Thomas is like a virus and it's very difficult to avoid your train-obsessed child from becoming exposed to them. I'm wondering about *all* the Thomas setups in public places (bookstores, etc) and all the kids and babies that have mouthed these toys. I just heard on NPR that about 20% of toys produced in China are substandard. I am really annoyed. This shouldn't be a voluntary recall and the government (or someone) should go after these toy companies. I can't believe we have to pay for shipping, too. We just have one item (James and tender) but it is chipped and it has definitely been in DS's mouth!!!

eb1
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
So, as I posted before, I emailed the company about the shipping and received the following message:

"There will be no refund for the postage. An extra train valued at $20.00 will be sent to offset the cost."

nicknack
06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Ugh. It better be a darn good one like Rocky or something! But somehow I doubt that.

julieakc
06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
>So, as I posted before, I emailed the company about the
>shipping and received the following message:
>
>"There will be no refund for the postage. An extra train
>valued at $20.00 will be sent to offset the cost."

Ok, I haven't been on the boards in a couple of weeks because I've been extremely busy with other stuff, but someone at DH's office forwarded the recall notice to him so I came here to see what you ladies had found out (especially with regard to the shipping).

Like you all have expressed, I am really outraged that such high-priced items have a lead issue. Isn't that the whole reason we're spending more money? To ensure the safety of our children by purchasing products that should not be cutting corners and should have strigent quality control!

Yes, an extra train is nice...is that going to be an extra train per each item that's returned? Those metal trains are heavy, so I'm sure it's going to be more than a few bucks to mail back the 4 that I have (not to mention the costs for those with the buildings)...and my child's going to be without his toys for 6-8 weeks, and I have to make a trip to the Post office!

I am mad!

BaileyBea
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Julie... I think the Wooden Sets are the only ones affected by this recall so far. So don't send in your metal trains. They may not be returned to you.

HTH,
Nancy

BaileyBea
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I've been calling the phone number but haven't been able to get through.

Can someone post the address to send it back to. Is it necessary to call them?

Thanks
Nancy

banoffi
06-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I can't locate any codes on the trains (to see if they have the WJ" or "AZ" codes that aren't affected). Should I just assume that the trains and signs I have are affected by the recall and send them back?

nicknack
06-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I didn't think I had to call, I'm just sending the stuff in. There's an address on the form but you have to include the form with your trains. Here it is:

RC2 Corporation
Attn: Wooden Vehicle Recall
2021 9th St. SE
Dyersville, IA 52040

nicknack
06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I couldn't locate anything either, there was some writing on the wheels but nothing that resembled one of those codes, so I'm just going ahead and sending all of mine in.

julieakc
06-14-2007, 01:03 PM
>Julie... I think the Wooden Sets are the only ones affected
>by this recall so far. So don't send in your metal trains.
>They may not be returned to you.
>
>HTH,
>Nancy

The Lights and sounds James is metal and is included....unless there is also a wooden Lights & sounds James?

o_mom
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Luckily we only have two Thomas trains and neither one is recalled (yet).

For those worried about the shipping, I would think you could get all the trains in a flat rate priority box easily - $8.xx shipping. I'm not sure if the buildings would fit in the square one or not, but it's worth a try.

kijip
06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
how do we determine when they were purchased originally and if they are included? Or should I just return them and assume they are all included? I have half a mind to return them all individually to ensure I get as many free trains as possible...just to poke them for not covering shipping.

Luckily, the Thomas stuff is all still packed up post move this last weekend...I can remove these items from his boxed toys and hopefully not face the whining of "whhheeerrrreeee is my icccceee crrreeeaaam factory?" :P Most of the others we have to return, he has never seen before because they were being saved as gifts.

Happy I passed on buying the fire station after all now. All told we have TEN things to return for sure. Ugh.

It seems to be RED paint that is the issue.

Also, the recall picture for the destination does not include the doodads that came with. Should I round all of those little ice cream barrels and the like up? I am going to contact them but if anyone already has the answer, LMK. TIA. I just don't want to send in all of it and only get the building back.

dotgirl
06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
My DS has a "lights and sounds" James that's part of the wooden line. I haven't had a chance to see if it has the "not affected" code yet, as I'm at work.

eb1
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
The recall form says just to include the specific part listed/shown on the poster--not the entire set, so keep your accessories.

giavila
06-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Your welcome! Thanks to all of you who are posting additional info on how to go about sending them back. We have James with the tender, the yellow box car, and 2 railroad signs... I'm wondering what I'll get back for those 4 items...

meshell
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm so angry about this shipping thing. For the smaller pieces, we've got about 1/2 of the items on that recall list. But we also have that blasted fire house which cost about $70! There is NO WAY that is going to fit in a flat rate box...and as far as I can tell, that address is in Canada! How much is shipping to Canada?!?!

DS is old enough and past the point where he mouths the toys, but I plan on having more babies...my entire purpose in buying these toys is to hold on to them as keepsakes for my DS, other children, and maybe even their children. So I definitely need to get replacements...but I fear it's going to cost me all this $$ when I've shelled out $100's to buy them in the first place.

ETA - Ok, I just noticed that I was only looking at the Canadian form. DUH! But that fire station is still large.

ehmom
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
i looked on the inside of the wheels. some of them have a year. mine say 2002 or 2003. so, i think they might be okay because it said the defective ones were from 2005-2007. am i right here?

eb1
06-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't think you're right--I think the year on the wheels is a copyright date, not a production date.

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I said the same thing to dh last night. I don't shop at the dollar stores or the dollar section at Target b/c those things get recalled too oftne. I was under the (misguided) assumption that these sorts of toys would be better made and held to a higher standard. guess not.

Luckily our Thomas' get played with rarely and we didn't buy them till ds was 3+ (old enough to not put them in his mouth). Guess I'll stick with our plastic Geotrax set- it's far more popular in our house anyway. :)

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Top of the page in a green box "Postage will be reimbursed via separately mailed check at the estimated US Postal Service Ground rate."

So, we may not get the full value if we pay a different shipping class or something, I guess. I am sure there will be some discrepancy but hopefully not too much.

Maybe they changed it over the course of the day? Check the forms to see if that has been added.

HTH,
Beth

eb1
06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
You're right! They added that today--both on the site and on the form. The link posted earlier in this thread still shows the old form. Here's the new one:

http://recalls.rc2.com/recallinfo/ReturnForm3_US.pdf

Glad they got the message!! Lots of people must have complained to the company. It's interesting, because the company told me earlier today that postage would NOT be reimbursed (and they were very firm and not even apologetic about the recall situation).

Great news!

vpalmer
06-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I sent the metal Sounds and Lights James in because the code did not match the "safe codes" listed on the site. It cost me $5.95 to mail 5 trains and a stop sign using USPS. I asked for the cheapest method and was told priority would only cost 10 cents more. By the time I paid for delivery confirmation and an envelope I was out $7.65 to ship back the trains.

vpalmer
06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if they will still reimburse shipping if we used the older form?

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

vpalmer
06-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Sorry for the duplicate post...

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

punrocker
06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Purely by accident, I discovered some codes printed on the bottoms of DS's James engine & tender, and Skarloey.

I was using a flashlight to try to see the printing on inner side of the wheels, when I noticed the codes. If you hold the train upside down, so that you can read the engine's name, and shine the flashlight on the lower right corner, you'll see a series of numbers and letters. You may have to tilt the train around to see the code. On our trains, there were 4 numbers, followed by "OWOO" in dark gray ink. The printing is barely visible without the flashlight.

Our yellow boxcar and Sodor Line Caboose didn't have codes on them; they were part of the Conductor's Figure 8 Set.

Oh, and since I am a packrat, I happened to have the original packaging for James and Skarloey (both purchased in 2005). There were codes imprinted on the backs of the packaging, but neither corresponded to the codes on the trains themselves.

scoop22
06-14-2007, 09:21 PM
thank you for the post.. ds has one. what a bad time. it is currently his favorite. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. thanks so much
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

shilo
06-15-2007, 02:14 AM
i have a red metal james that is technically part of the 'wooden railway' brand, but i think it's called the 'battery powered' james - it has a little light on the front, but no sound other than the sound of the motor to pull the train. fwiw, i don't think this james is included in the recall, but i sent his wooden coal tender in with my other 10 pieces just in case. i'm pretty sure the actual 'lights and sounds' james included in the recall is wooden, has a light and makes a whistle and choo choo sound, not 100% sure tho, maybe someone else can verify.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

tribecamom
06-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Just came on to post this email I got:

We ask that you pay for the shipping to us, as this will be the quickest way to get all parts replaced. After we receive your order, we will then replace all parts as quickly as we can. After we receive your order we will then process it and issue brand new replacement parts. We will include a complimentary engine, and then issue you a check to cover your shipping costs. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

ehmom
06-15-2007, 09:47 AM
so the date on the wheels is a copyright date NOT a production date. thanks so much to previous poster for this info!!

Radosti
06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
So, I basically turned my car upside down looking for the Mail Car last night. It wasn't to be found. This morning DS gets in to the car and is promptly holding his Mail Car. What the heck??? So, I tried trading him for another toy, food, whatever and finally ended up taking it away amid tears when he went to put it in his mouth. Poor kiddo. Well, now it's packaged to go. We only had the one toy on recall.

julieakc
06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
>i have a red metal james that is technically part of the
>'wooden railway' brand, but i think it's called the 'battery
>powered' james - it has a little light on the front, but no
>sound other than the sound of the motor to pull the train.
>fwiw, i don't think this james is included in the recall, but
>i sent his wooden coal tender in with my other 10 pieces just
>in case. i'm pretty sure the actual 'lights and sounds' james
>included in the recall is wooden, has a light and makes a
>whistle and choo choo sound, not 100% sure tho, maybe someone
>else can verify.
>
>hth, lori
>Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

I emailed them for clarification -

My email:

Can you please clarify which James (and tender car) is involved?

Is the metal battery-powered James (and tender car), model #LC99718 included, or is the the "lights & sounds" referring to the "Sights & Sounds James", model# LC99041?

Their Response:

LC99718 is not included. Only LC99005 James the Red Engine and LC99041 Sights & Sounds James.

So Lori is right - the battery-powered James is NOT part of the recall.

That's one less for me to worry about.

August Mom
06-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes. I e-mailed about this and was told that if I didn't know when I purchased it and it didn't have a code, just go ahead and send it back for replacement.

cric
06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I know this has a thread up there somewhere where the CS rep said shipping was not being reimbursed. But, I just printed out my form and it says, in green,

"Postage will be reimbursed via separately-mailed check at the estimated U.S. Postal Service Ground rate."

So, am I reading it wrong, or maybe they changed the form recently?

August Mom
06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
They changed the form. I have a feeling that there were lots of parents complaining...

xmasbabycomin
06-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I think I may print a few extra forms and keep them in the car so I can take them to bookstores, playgroups, etc where they have these trains/table sets. It would be good to get the word out to those types of places...

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-16-2007, 02:23 AM
I know, we went to barnes and noble tonight and they still had their train table out with all the cars. I asked the woman behind the counter when we checked out if they were aware of the recall and she said " oh yeah, I heard about that on the news."
Well DUH lady, go through your freaking train set and send them in! Rest assured we won't be playing with the store set, or better yet we'll just stick to borders until this is cleared up.

xmasbabycomin
06-16-2007, 10:46 AM
No train set at Borders? We have Books a Million and B &N and both have train tables (plus the train depot & preschool).

daniele_ut
06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
>So, I basically turned my car upside down looking for the
>Mail Car last night.

Grrr, I don't know why I didn't see the mail car on the list the first time I looked at it! Thank you for mentioning it. We only have 3 Thomas toys and that is one of them!!