PDA

View Full Version : Are Ikea mattresses healthier, safer???

super_grape
06-17-2007, 02:48 PM
I've noticed that some of Ikea's mattresses are made with 85%
natural latex, and also silk, wool, and cotton.
So wouldn't that make them a heathier alternative (or at least healthier than a serta, etc.)?

An "organic" or "all-natural" mattress dosen't really fit in our
mattress budget and this time we're going for a king so I'm
just trying to find a slightly healthier alternative :).

Any thoughts?

Holly

chlobo
06-17-2007, 03:15 PM
What makes mattresses unhealthy are flame retardants in the form of PDBEs. From what I understand, the government requires that mattress makers somehow make their mattresses flame retardant.

Maybe Ikea uses some other chemical that might be safer since they are made in Sweden. YOu might want to call and ask.

MarisaSF
06-17-2007, 03:21 PM
we bought an ikea mattress for DD because they don't contain a flame retardant material (PBDE), linked to some health concerns.
nak

lisams
06-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Same here.

SASM
06-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Just make certain that the person to sleep on the mattress doesn't have a latex allergy. If one has a latex allergy and sleeps on a latex mattress (especially an older one that has broken down fibers), it might kill them due to anaphylaxis. Just a thought if you plan to use it in a guest room in the future. :)

super_grape
06-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I hadn't thought about that, Thank you!
My best friend has a latex allergy.

Would using a mattress cover/protector (the zip on type)
solve that problem, do you think? I doubt my best friend would
ever sleep in our bed but just to be on the safe side....

Holly

super_grape
06-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Thank you...I was specifically concerned about that but
couldn't remember the abbreviation :) .

SASM
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I, personally, wouldn't risk it, but then again, I have a latex allergy. :) Maybe if the cover is super heavy duty and less prone to rips. Rips can happen from flipping the mattress, kids jumping on it, the unexpected toy in the bed, pets, moving, etc. Just a thought. :)