PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy Thomas Trains now -- if not what would you get?

hillview
06-17-2007, 09:47 PM
So I was planning on getting DS a train table and thomas trains. Wondering if I should now do Brio train or ?? DS is turning 2 and this is for his bday next month.
TIA!
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
06-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I am a stickler for age recommendations so I probably would go with something dif't for a 2yo. As far as I know most Thomas and Brio style trains are 3+ for choking hazards. Everyone has their comfort zones with these things though.

I know many moms on here are anti plastic toys but I really love Geotrax. We bought them for ds' 2nd b-day b/c they were the train set OK for under 3's. You can use them simply in push mode rather than with the battery/ remote controls (though, I personally find both methods to be fun!).

I probably wouldn't buy Thomas now. There is a thread a few done on other wooden train options/ brands.

beth

kaitlinsmommy
06-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I will still buy Thomas stuff for my ds, although I think Brio is very cool too.

While I find the recall annoying, I'm sure ds will still enjoy playing with Thomas trains & watching the videos. I don't really blame them personally. Car seats are recalled. Dd's easy bake oven was recalled. It happens. JMO.

SpaceGal
06-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I'll probably still buy Thomas trains. Where we lived it's the only good quality train sets available. The specialty toy stores charge too much and are a good distance away to go to.

Like the PP stated, things happen...and in this world with the need to cut costs I'm not surprised. I'm just glad that they are replacing the trains rather than just having you completely take the loss and throw them out or take the risk of having you child chew on a lead painted train.

new_mommy25
06-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm planning to still buy Thomas trains. My DS loves them and it's the one toy he plays with consistently every day for hours. Brio trains are nice as well but they are also made in China so lead paint is still a risk.

BTW, we got DS his train table and thomas trains when he was 15 months. Never had a problem. We did take some of the smaller pieces away like the crossing signs since those could be a choking hazard. Many of his trains are several years old and we've never had a wheel come off or anything so I'm not too worried.

geochick
06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
My ds won't touch his Brio trains. I'll continue to buy Thomas. For some reason my kid has an attachment to toys with faces. He also loves the Cars movie cars with faces. He won't play with Matchbox, etc. I still love Thomas, but I'll probably get a lead test kit and make sure the ones we have don't have lead paint. It's too bad I have to consider doing that with recently made children's toys.

HannaAddict
06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Our local independent toy store that sells european and other wood toys said that Plan City was coming out with a line of trains that will be compatible with Thomas, etc. Plan City toys are lovely, we have the parking garage and lots of vehicles. They are not made in the US, but made in Thailand and supposedly have much better conditions for workers, etc. than things made in China. You can't get much worse than China. I feel a bit guilty for not being more diligent in checking to see if Thomas was made in China. I think we (DH and moi) assumed that since the price was $$$$, they weren't made in China. Bonehead move on our part, especially considering we actually look at clothing labels, etc. for many children's items and avoid made in China as much as possible.

I can't wait to check out the Plan City offerings. Though my son does like the Thomas characters, books, etc. and they are really the only characters (besides Lightning McQueen and Mater) that he knows.

Kimberly

eb1
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
No, I would not buy Thomas trains anymore.

It's not even the lead paint--it's the fact that quality control was absent for 2.5 years on this issue. WTH? Honestly?

In addition, LC (the manufacturer) disappointed me when it discontinued its lifetime warranty, downgrading it to a 90-day warranty or whatever it is. I've also had several experiences in which I felt that their customer service support was awful (with rude employees). I also was peeved when I bought a new piece for DS in a store--bought it a couple months before Christmas--and when we opened it, a section did not operate smoothly. I couldn't exchange it at the store because they no longer carried it (it was a retired piece, which I didn't know when buying it); when I contacted LC's customer service, they said they couldn't help me because it was a retired piece. No offer to exchange it for something else. No apology. No concern for the fact that I bought it only two months before and it was a piece in a box marked "Lifetime Warranty." I also think it was absurd of them to initiate this recall without offering to pay shipping (they must have heard from the masses, and quickly).

So, N-O. I'll spend my money with companies that have more regard for their own products and consumers.

If I were to buy more trains, I'd investigate some of the USA companies posted elsewhere in this forum.

Jen841
06-19-2007, 05:51 AM
We have a good quality generic set/table bought at Marshalls for $30 a few years ago that my kids BOTH play with daily, and GeoTrak. Our GeoTrak set started when J was 2, and has grown a lot since then. E, 20 months, loves to play with it too and he can't damage the set up too much. I am pro GeoTrak, pro wooden train table, but anti-Thomas (due to the personalities of the trains, and Customer Service.)

katydid1971
06-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I have to add a big NO to ever buying Thomas again. I went to www.woodentrains.com and those trains are lovely. And the price is very good for the quality and the made in the USA label. Like the PP said, the quality control should have been there. What will be their next recall, lose wheels?!?!? The value for price for a made in China product is very poor. No more Thomas Trains in this house.
Sarah

kcimato
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
My grandson loves his Geotrax much better also. I love them.

www.maplelandmark also makes train sets that are made in the USA. They are very good quality.

kijip
06-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Yes, I would. However, it was only the email reply I got letting me know they will pay for shipping that saved them. :P

Still, on a practical level we may be maxed out here on the number of trains he could ever want to play with and he is starting to play with them a little less each week or so...he is four now. We got him kites for his birthday instead and he did not miss the Thomas presents he has become used to. So while I would be ok with making a purchase from them, I think we are otherwise finished with buying new trains at all at this point.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

Percycat
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
In response to the original post, I think buying a Thomas wooden train set for a 2 year old birthday present is an excellent idea. We built a table and started my son's collection for his 2 year old birthday. I have really enjoyed watching his play develop through the years with his Thomas set. Kids learn to push the trains on the track, to connect the track, build bridges, and make elaborate track configurations. The thomas stories and videos are really enjoyable and the characters are fun. My son now creates wonderfully detailed stories using the characters while he is playing. We have spent a fortune on Thomas, but it has been well worth it. I can't think of any other game or toy that has been played with in so many ways at so many development stages and levels.

In response to the concern about the recall, I am really amazed at RC2's response. I can't believe that they are actually going to replace the cars. I would have expected a recall to request the return of trains for an exchange of currently available trains. I am amazed and extremely pleased that they are going to replace the cars, even if it means they will have to re-establish assembly lines to produce the specific cars/quantities recalled.