PDA

View Full Version : White Noise Machine

JoyNChrist
06-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I need one for DS's nursery. Preferably one that plays white noise and lullaby-type music. I want to buy it tomorrow, so it needs to be something that Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or Sam's carries.

TIA!

(And I know there are probably lots of other posts about this, but for some reason it won't let me do a search - ??? - so if anybody just wants to point me to a previous thread, that would be appreciated too.)

lizajane
06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
i could not EVER find a machine that just made plain ol' white noise. I used an air purifier from target that was $30 and i love it.

gatorruth
06-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I got one at Target in the health and beauty care section (near the blowdriers and curling irons for some reason) that plays white noise, water, heartbeat and a few more. I take it with me on trips because my kids like it so much... It was about $15...
Ruth

Lilysmom06
06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I recently got one at Target. It is a Timex alarm clock, CD player, noise machine, etc. I use the white noise every night and nap. I think it was like $40 or so, and I found it with the alarm clocks and radios, in the electronics section.

Happy shopping! Kathy

smzapalac
06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I know you mentioned Target, Sams, etc. However, we purchased the most fabulous white noise/music maker at Brookstone. You can purchase it in the stores or online. Makes several different sounds like white noise (i.e. waterfall), lullaby, dolphin, prenatal, heartbeat, and running car. Since we purchased it for our DD she is sleeping so much better. We are getting another one for our baby once she/he is born.

ssjarrett
06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I had lots of trouble finding one of these this year too, but finally found this one at Babies R Us. It's great!! A Timex one I found at BJ's only did the noise for 10 minutes--we wanted the noise to run all night long. This one runs until you turn it off and it can also combine noises too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401840&cp=&sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2255957&origkw=white+noise&kw=white+noise&parentPage=search

-Sarah

fauve01
06-19-2007, 02:05 AM
we got an amazing Sound Soother from Sharper Image. completely worth the money IMO. Ours is travel sized (fits in your hand) and has 20 different sounds. we LOVE it and DD loves it too. they have different sizes/shapes/features, but this looks like what we have. i think you can listen to the sounds online.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__SI601TNM

be sure to get the AC adapter cord. they carry the soothers and the adapters in their stores.

edited to say this one does not have lullabies. maybe one of the soothers has a cd player and you could play whatever lullabies you like? you could always get one with a radio (ours has it; not sure if this travel one does) and play classical music.

HTH~
anne

deannanb
06-19-2007, 06:14 AM
we have had the sound soother from sharper image for almost 12 years - and it still works great! It takes batteries or can be plugged into the wall.

My husband bought a clock/sound maker at Sams and the sound only lasted 20 min or so... not the whole night.

The air purifier works great in our room!

lablover
06-19-2007, 08:01 AM
We have to leave DD's door shut so a fan was making it too cool in DD's room. I bought a Marpac 580A and it's great. I bought a new one on ebay for $41. It's just pure white noise (no different sounds). I take it with me whenever we travel.

http://www.marpac.com/sound_cond.asp#todayshow

kellij
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi. I don't know if you already bought your sound machine, and it's not at the stores you listed, but we love the sleep sheep.

http://www.sleepsheepandfriends.com/sheep.html

It's available on the internet and I also saw it at Pottery Barn Kids. I just think it's too cute.

kellij
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi. I don't know if you already bought your sound machine, and it's not at the stores you listed, but we love the sleep sheep.

http://www.sleepsheepandfriends.com/sheep.html

It's available on the internet and I also saw it at Pottery Barn Kids. I just think it's too cute.

jessicallyn
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi. Here's another vote for the Sharper Image's Sound Soother. My 1 1/2 year old DD has needed a noise machine since she was born - a very light sleeper. A friend lent us hers soon after the baby was born and we haven't returned it to her yet!

We tried other machines, like the ones at Bed Bath & Beyond, but they seemed to have a weird pitch, and you could hear some of the sounds "loop." I don't know if DD noticed the looping, but it sure annoyed us when she was in our room. And the pitch didn't seem to suit anyone.

We bought all of those special baby sounds CD's and they weren't worth a cent. Buy the Sharper Image's machine. You can save a few dollars if you buy a universal adapter instead of Sharper Image's adapter, plus then you can use the adapter for other electronics if you ever stop needing the Sound Soother.

But boy is that Sound Soother worth every penny!

Good luck.
Jessicallyn