PDA

View Full Version : Beach / pool bag (s)? and pool toys?

KBecks
06-20-2007, 01:16 PM
We will no doubt be doing many public kiddie pool trips this summer. I will need to get oranized to haul the 2 kids and all our stuff, suits, pool toys, towels, sunscreen, snacks, etc.

I would love some suggestions for a good beach bag. It must be large enough for 3 towels. I think I may need more than one bag... maybe a back pack too?

Also, I'd love to know any tips and tricks for getting to and from the pool -- how do you deal with wet gear and what are any convenience items you take?

ETA: Lastly, what do you recommend as the best pool toys? (compact is a bonus.)

Thanks!

(x-posted in to diaper bag forum)

KBecks
06-20-2007, 01:16 PM
We will no doubt be doing many public kiddie pool trips this summer. I will need to get oranized to haul the 2 kids and all our stuff, suits, pool toys, towels, sunscreen, snacks, etc.

I would love some suggestions for a good beach bag. It must be large enough for 3 towels. I think I may need more than one bag... maybe a back pack too?

Also, I'd love to know any tips and tricks for getting to and from the pool -- how do you deal with wet gear and what are any convenience items you take?

ETA: Lastly, what do you recommend as the best pool toys? (compact is a bonus.)

Thanks!

(x-posted in to diaper bag forum)

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I've seen those rolling carts at places like Bed, Bath and Beyond that look pretty handy. Since it is just me and ds I don't need that now though.

We always go to and from the pool in our bathing suits. Just one less thing to have to worry about. Almost always we are just going home after or coming from home. If I have to take clothes they tend to fit in my bag.

Now, my bag isn't pretty. But, it's functional. It is the $1 bag from Whole Foods. I see like every 3rd person at my pool using that bag. They sell them at the check out. They are light weight, have straps a good size and I can fit all of our stuff in there (2 towels, bucket, spray bottle, splash balls, suntan lotion and some misc. stuff).

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I've seen those rolling carts at places like Bed, Bath and Beyond that look pretty handy. Since it is just me and ds I don't need that now though.

We always go to and from the pool in our bathing suits. Just one less thing to have to worry about. Almost always we are just going home after or coming from home. If I have to take clothes they tend to fit in my bag.

Now, my bag isn't pretty. But, it's functional. It is the $1 bag from Whole Foods. I see like every 3rd person at my pool using that bag. They sell them at the check out. They are light weight, have straps a good size and I can fit all of our stuff in there (2 towels, bucket, spray bottle, splash balls, suntan lotion and some misc. stuff).

Beth

KBecks
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I've never been to a whole foods. One opened up downtown a while ago near our church. $1 is a great price!! (I just looked at Lands End totes and was eyeing one up for $50.) I might have to check it out.

Our kiddie pool is right next to a nice playground so today we went to play and then the boys went for a dip. I could have them play in their suits but I like having regular clothes.

Thanks.

KBecks
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I've never been to a whole foods. One opened up downtown a while ago near our church. $1 is a great price!! (I just looked at Lands End totes and was eyeing one up for $50.) I might have to check it out.

Our kiddie pool is right next to a nice playground so today we went to play and then the boys went for a dip. I could have them play in their suits but I like having regular clothes.

Thanks.

juliasmom05
06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Although not quite a dollar ;-) , people have lots of good things to say about these bags

http://www.saltwatercanvas.com/)

Marci

juliasmom05
06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Although not quite a dollar ;-) , people have lots of good things to say about these bags

http://www.saltwatercanvas.com/)

Marci

KrystalS
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
These bags are great, definitely worth the $$. I got one recently from a coop and it has been great to haul all of my dd's stuff to the waterpark and pool. I have the whale bag and I can fit tons of stuff in it with room to spare.

KrystalS
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
These bags are great, definitely worth the $$. I got one recently from a coop and it has been great to haul all of my dd's stuff to the waterpark and pool. I have the whale bag and I can fit tons of stuff in it with room to spare.

daniele_ut
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Whale Bag. We got ours last year and used it constantly all summer. It holds everything the 3 of us need for the beach or pool and has tons of pockets. It *is* huge, but I love only needing to carry one bag.

daniele_ut
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Whale Bag. We got ours last year and used it constantly all summer. It holds everything the 3 of us need for the beach or pool and has tons of pockets. It *is* huge, but I love only needing to carry one bag.

Maromy
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I bought the Whale bag recently and I love it!

Amy

mom to little e
06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Another vote for the Saltwater whale bag.

We have two that we take to the pool/beach. One carries drinks, snacks, towels, mommies things like sunglasses, keys, cellphone, sunscreen, and anything I want to keep more or less sand-free or dry. There are plenty of pockets to organize it all and the fob is great so I don't lose my keys. In the second bag I take all the toys, life vests, and anything that can get more wet or sandy. Since they are nylon (?) mesh, sand falls out or things dry out. The bags are big and hold a ton, so they work great for me (kind of an overpacker for the beach/pool).

Since the kiddos are still young, the only toys we do is a floatie ring and a few thin noodles.

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

KBecks
06-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for this suggestion. It looks exactly like what I'm looking for, and I'm glad to know it's mother approved! :)

Jen841
06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I keep an IKEA bag in the laundry room ready to go at all times. Favorite toys for us are plastic cups and balls. We use noodles at the pool.

We have a beach bag too with sand toys.

MelissaTC
06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I have several Saltwater canvas bags. They are fantastic for the pool and beach!

boss1
06-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Another vote for Saltwater Canvas Bags! I just recently bought the Whale and Dolphin Bags and they are great. I wished I had known about these bags a long time ago. It would have made trips to the beach/pool so much easier.

WooChx
06-23-2007, 06:45 PM
No vote here for the saltwater tote, I bought one and then found the same type bag at Walmart for $6!!!!

I think the suggestion for the Ikea bag is fantastic those are huge!!

Twoboos
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the rec to check out Walmart! I found the similar one for I think &7.50 or so. It's all canvas and has 3 huge pockets on the outside. I also got a mesh one for all the beach toys for $4.50 or so. Two perfect beach bags for $12!

calv
06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
would you mind post pics? I'd love to see what they look like. I'm also assuming you found both of them at walmart?

HannaAddict
06-26-2007, 10:19 AM
But the Saltwater Canvas Bag is made in USA by a small company versus made in China.

Twoboos
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
OK, I *think* this works.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=lrl8moz.7ax2civf&x=1&y=9b07ta

They were both at walmart in the purse/accessory section. The demensions are (approx, I was measuring w/a little plastic ruler :-))

Big tote 20w, 14h, 7d avail in red, aqua and other colors
mesh tote 19w, 13h, 8d avail in stripes, dots, flowers, more

Twoboos
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Yep, these are mass produced in China but for 2/$12 vs. 1/$45 (whale bag +ship) this made sense for me. I did debate the Saltwater ones for a while but we just don't have enough summer here in the northeast for me to feel comfortable spending that much on a beach bag.

calv
06-26-2007, 02:41 PM
thanks for the pics. they look cute for the money but you can't beat the coop prices we got for the SWC bags and they seem to be 2x the size and 3x the pockets ont he SWC bags. I could be wrong but I'd have to see the walmart bags IRL.

Thanks again

babybunny
06-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I have a Saltwater canvas Whale bag and Dolphin bag. I use the Dolphin bag for my trips into daycare to pick up my two year old. I can throw all of his "stuff" into this bag and throw it on my shoulder. The pockets on the outside of the bag are big enough to slip in a piece of artwork. I now have TWO hands to deal with him leaving daycare and then getting out of the car at home and getting everything into the house at once. ( I even throw the mail in it on my way into the house). What a live saver!

DrSally
06-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I bought an IKEA bag for the beach but haven't used it yet.

ETA: I used the IKEA bag 2 times this past week and it held 3 beach towlels, change of clothes, snacks, a few diapers, sunscreen, sunglasses, water, camera, and camcorder. I put all DS toys and a small beach chair for him in a $10 red plastic wagon (Battat) from target and one of us carried it or DS pulled it

youngmommy
06-28-2007, 09:37 PM
>Thanks for the rec to check out Walmart! I found the similar
>one for I think &7.50 or so. It's all canvas and has 3 huge
>pockets on the outside. I also got a mesh one for all the
>beach toys for $4.50 or so. Two perfect beach bags for $12!

This is the exact same set-up I have.
The Walmart mesh and canvas bags were a great deal for us.
I actually prefer the 2 bags, because I can keep all the "dry" stuff in one, and the wet stuff in the other. Plus, if we go somewhere before or after the pool I'm not carrying around all of our pool stuff, just diapers, etc. HTH!!

redhookmom
07-10-2007, 08:38 AM
So, how is everything going? Have you figured out a good system? We go go to the pool or lake everyday and I still don't have everything figured out.

I have one of the SW bags and it's big and roomy and I love the outside pockets BUT I can't sling it over my shoulder so it doesn't really work. Instead I leave it in the garage with with all of the pool/sand toys in it.

I have a LE tote (not canvas), it's made of nylon. It's big and roomy, has outside pockets and I can sling it. I do wish I could see through the outside pockets.

I have an old cooler bag from target that is working well. It has a long strap and I can sling it. (I am big into the slinging - I need at least one had free.)

I have a backpack that is mesh that we use to tote the toys in. Actually one of my older kids totes that. I think it is actually a laundry bag. The kids also tote their noodles.

I have a "pool/lake checklist" on my fridge. It is laminated and I just check off when we are getting ready. It ends the feeling of "I forgot something."

Here is my list:
pool toys
sand toys
goggles
sunscreen
wipes
tissues
first aid
towels
blanket
phone
book
sunglasses
hats
hair clips
camera
game
$
drinks
snacks
lunch
swim vest
spray in conditioner

The spray in conditioner has been great!! I have been using shampoo on everybody that is specifically to get chlorine out. And, spraying hair with the conditioner before going in the pool, it seems to help keeping the chlorine out.

We go to the pool/lake in our suits with cover ups.

When we get home the towels and cover ups go right in the washing machine and the kids go right in the bath. :-)

We do way to much snacking which is my big problem right now. By the time we get home the kids are not that hungry for dinner and the snacks are not the healthiest. When I bring healthier stuff my kids mooch of our friends.

**Putting the first application of sunscreen on at home makes everything easier!

**I keep baby powder in the car to get sand off in the parking lot before the kids get in the car.

Pool toys? Nothing seems to have had lasting power. The water balls get played with the most. All of the water toys at TRU were on sale last week and we will by trying out lots of new ones soon.

madelinesmom
07-10-2007, 03:44 PM
We are leaving for the pool in 30 minutes... we probably go 3 to 4 times a week, with all the rain we have had in Texas this past month it has been harder to go but, the sun is finally out and we are really enjoying the weather.

We have a great big canvas bag that I bought at Gap last year, it is huge and has huge handles, I paid about $15 for it and really have enjoyed it this year. I finally have a bag big enough.

We go in our bathing suits and a cover up or cotton dress. The supplies I leave in the bag at all times are, a small wipe carrier, ziplock with diapers (regular and swim), sunscreen, floaties for both girls (Madeline uses floaties when I take them alone, when DH is with us she doesn't have to use floaties), rings, and several empty ziplock bags. I always keep carmex and a couple of dollars for myself. Once we get there I put their dresses in a ziplock to keep them dry b/c they like to change when we go home. I have not found a bag big enough to hold everything with towels so good luck with that...

When we are ready to leave I change them and the wet clothes go in the ziplock.

I also have a ziplock of snacks, ritz bitz, nutrigrain bars, fruity snacks and we also take our own water.

Have fun, I always feel like a big fool trying to get to the pool so we usually stay a few hours when we get there.

Good Luck...

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png