PDA

View Full Version : llbean ice cream ball?

thomma
06-22-2007, 05:56 AM
After watching Telly make ice cream in Elmo's Magic Cookbook, my kids want to make ice cream. I was thinking about getting one of the llbean ice cream balls. Anyone have one? How does it work?

Any other ice cream maker recommendations?

TIA-
Kim
ds&dd- 4

leslieu
06-22-2007, 11:36 AM
I hear that they are really fun and work well. I 'm planing on getting one for our up coming camping trip.

HTH
Leslie

WitMom
06-22-2007, 12:05 PM
We don't have the LLBean one, but we have a different brand that is the same principle. It does work, but by the time you add the necessary ingredients and all of the ice, it gets heavy! I thought it would be fun for DD and the neighbor boy to do together, but it's too heavy for them to lift and shake (they're two). Maybe there are different sizes available? Don't know if this helps or not, but I thought I would share.

sarahsthreads
06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
We have one of the ball ice cream makers - we got it as a gift at some point, so I don't know if it was from llbean or not - and it really does get heavy. Rolling it around works pretty well, but it takes a long time and DD loses interest rather quickly. It's not particularly easy to clean - especially if anything drips into the crevices on the outside when you're stirring it or scooping it out. And to be honest, the amount of ice cream you wind up with isn't really worth all that effort!

I've heard you can do the same thing with gallon-sized ziploc baggies, which might not be as heavy...aha: http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/icecream.html Plus it's cheaper!

Hmmm. Maybe I'll go get DD up from her I'm-not-napping-today-nap and try making ice cream in a bag with her...

Sarah :)

new_mommy25
06-22-2007, 01:55 PM
We have one it. It was easy enough and the ice cream was tasty albeit rather soft. I ordered through LLBean though I noticed Wal mart had them last time I was in.

thomma
06-24-2007, 07:04 PM
thanks!
I think I'm going to try the small LLBean one.

thomma
06-24-2007, 07:04 PM
thanks!
I think I'm going to try the small LLBean one.

leslieu
06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
They're on sale at REI right now, but only a few colors. The small ones are going for $21.99 and the big ones are going for $26.99.

HTH
Leslie

juliasmom05
06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Red envelope has the pint ones on sale for 19.99

http://tinyurl.com/ys3z2m

Marci