PDA

View Full Version : What to pay for a resale train table?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-24-2007, 01:32 AM
I've been looking at train tables on craigslist and was suprised at the number of them for sale. I was just wondering what people might think was a reasonable amount for a secondhand table. There's someone selling a secondhand kidkraft model. It's white with two drawers on the bottom that pull out with rope handles and they're selling with a bunch of train stuff and they want 100 dollars.

There are a few other of differing quality. I don't want to pay too much for it. Our local resale store also gets them in from time to time and she usually charges about 70 dollars,but they don't usually have storage bins. I haven't bought the clothes that I wanted to from hanna yet and am considering getting the kidkraft table instead but am uncertain. Ds hasn't flipped over thomas yet but he's pushing anything with wheels around the house making motor sounds(cute). So I thought he and dd could really use this.

Would you pay the hundred dollars for a used kidkraft with the additions that I've mentioned or should I hold out for better. I'm thinking that it's a little high but the table looks to be in very good condition which is why I'm still thinking about it. There are a few other tables in the fifty and thirty-five dollar range but they're not nearly as nice.

I'm a little concerned about buying anything with a train set included as ds hasn't chosen a set that he likes yet. If we did thomas it would be the metal ones you get at target. So the kidkraft table with the train set included might not be a bargin if we can't fit the trains he likes on it. Although, the kidkraft has the plain green bottom so dd can do whatever she wants on it without the train background bothering her. What should I do. Obviously this will sell quickly if it hasn't already. And if I shouldn't or don't buy it. What would you pay for a secondhand train table?

brittone2
06-24-2007, 05:36 AM
I really can't recall what they go for used on craigslist, but something to consider is that the costco train table sells new for about 130ish most years if I remember right. That is a kidkraft model with two trundles, and includes a (not great quality) train set and a few destinations, track, etc. We have the costco train table and have been very pleased with it for going on 2 years now.

You might want to double check some old threads on the costco table for pictures, and if it looks similar, consider holding out for that one new (comes out in the fall and often sells out pretty quickly in some locations) or offering less for the used one ($75?) Online the Kidkraft tables with trundles sell for over $200, which is why the costco one is a great deal. If you aren't a costco member, you can get in if someone buys you a gift card to use, or you could try to go as someone's guest.

No experience w/ the metal Thomas trains, but I would think they'd fit fine on the table as long as the layouts can be moved around like wooden train tracks.

heatherlynn
06-24-2007, 07:23 AM
I just bought this exact same one in excellent condition at a yard sale for $25! I couldn't believe it. It didn't have the trains with it, but we have our own anyway. Depending on how badly you want one and how soon you want it, I would hold out for less than $100 for a nice one. I would say that $50 is a good price. I wouldn't pay $100 for a used one, but that's just me.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

sidmand
06-24-2007, 08:46 AM
A timely post because we just bought one on Craigslist and I was wondering what was a good price. I don't know what the model was, but the one we bought seems to be wood or MDF with two trundles on wheels for storage underneath and a reversible top (it was a bit scratched up on the "train" side, but never used on the white side). It was $50 on Craigslist. Seemed like a pretty good deal. No trains, but we have a few and like you said, DS hasn't totally figured out which kind he likes and I don't think he much cares yet! It seems pretty decent quality too. I debated holding out for the Costco one, but I know that's around the holidays, and this seemed a decent deal. Glad to hear it probably was. DS is already using it more than many of his toys!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

DebbieJ
06-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I think $100 is too high.

I consider Craigslist to be an online garage sale, so bartering is expected. Make them an offer and see what happens.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

zoestargrove
06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
I'd pay $100 for a used potterybarn kids train table or a furniture all wood quality table used, but I don't think I'd pay more than $60 for the kidkraft one.

I frequently see train tables of varying qualities listed on my craigslist for under $50.

deannanb
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Tuesday Morning had a KidKraft train table for $49

MMMommy
06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I think $100 is too high for a used Kidkraft. Especially considering that the brand new Kidkraft set from Costco (pre-Xmas) was less than $140 (I think less than that). Negotiate!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I decided after looking at the posts to avoid the hundred dollar one. There's also a m&d table. It's white with the green insert and drawers built into the side. The seller says I can pick up on thursday so I can still get out of it if I need to. It looks to be in good condition.
There was someone else offering the exact same table for $20 but I wasn't fast enough-darn it.