PDA

View Full Version : Bike suggestions for a 7 year old

boss1
06-24-2007, 10:24 AM
We are having a difficult time teaching our 7 year old how to ride a bike. We purchased a cheap bike (with training wheels) from Walmart but would really like to get him a nicer bike. Can someone make some suggestions as to bikes that are great for his age group? I read the old posts but I'm still not certain of the brand name bikes.

Tondi G
06-24-2007, 04:37 PM
we bought our 5 year old a nice bike from a local small retailer. It is a good heavy bike that should last him a while

This is what we bought

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/kids/599/25266/

edited to add that our DS is turning 6 in 2 weeks and is a BIG guy... about the size of an 8 year old! I'd go to a local bike shop an check out what size is good for him. We bought our DS's just slightly big cause we knew he would outgrow the smaller size really soon. Spending 160 bucks we wanted to be sure it would last a while! Keep in mind too that the 16" bikes will come with Training wheels.... the 20" won't (we bought a set seperately for about $20 or $25. We followed the recommendation of the sales guy at the bike shop and tried to get DS to learn to ride the 2 wheeler without the training wheels..... it back fired and he decided the 2 wheeler was too hard without the training wheels and even after we put them on he wasn't into riding his bike. He just recently asked up if we could get his bike out of the stoarge shed for him to try again!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

schums
06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
We've bought each DC a Giant bike (the 16", because they were younger). The bikes are awesome! There is a HUGE difference between the Walmart/TRU bikes and Giant, and ours didn't cost that much more than a decent TRu bike when you consider the bike store assembled it for us!

I second the suggestion to go to an independent bike store and see what they have and what they suggest. They'll take the time to make sure you're happy and have what you need.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

stefani
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Would he fit a FunOne bike? It is a balance bike that you can put the pedals on. I had wanted it for DS but he is too small for it still. It is about $100.

Search the message board for FunOne or balance bike.

August Mom
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
We have a Giant Animator (16") and DS loves it! You probably could do a 20" but I agree that you should go to a bike shop and have DS fitted for a bike.

Trek and Specialized are other good brands.

oneplustwo
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with the PPs -- definitely visit a local bike shop if you can. Gary Fisher is another good brand to look at.

Thatchermom
06-26-2007, 02:09 AM
I don't think he would fit. DS will be six in Sept. and is really outgrowing his. He is on the taller side of average, but not very large for his age. Too bad they don't make several sizes!

MelissaTC
06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
DS has a 16" Trek and it has been great. He loves to ride it. We bought it at a local bicycle shop.