PDA

View Full Version : Anyone regret buying a swingset? (kids don't use it?)

BeachBum
06-26-2007, 07:45 AM
My mom seems to think that we will regret buying a swingset for our DS. She teaches kindergarten and says that her kids rarely play on them. Instead they choose more open ended things like sand and water or pretend play.
Our yard is small and the swingset would take up all of our space (so no room for t-ball or a big sandbox, kickball etc). We do have a park about 1 block from out house with swings, slide and a climber. There are several nice parks a bike ride away. We do have a neighborhood park about 2 blocks away that is open (for running, tball, soccer etc)

DH and I were so convinced that a nice swingset (like the play around) was the way to go. But now we are really having 2nd thoughts. We don't mind spending the money *if* it gets a lot of use for several years. I value my mom's opinion and she seems to think that they are outgrown really quickly.

Anyone want to weigh in? Do you regret buying your set?Why?

thanks a ton.

Karenn
06-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I think your mom makes good points. I don't necessarily regret buying our Costco swing set, but I often think that I wouldn't have wanted to spend any more than we did, and that we could have gotten by with something smaller, like a cheap metal set. If I had a park and swings as close as you, I would really consider skipping it. It's easy to get swept up in "swingset fever," especially looking through a cedarworks catalogue! ;)

On the other hand, I highly doubt my DD will be tired of swinging anytime soon. She can spend *forever* in a swing and it's really nice to just be able to step outside for a few minutes after dinner and swing for a bit.

brittone2
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
We opted to buy a metal one when DS was about 2 because I wasn't sure he'd get enough use out of an expensive wooden set (although *I* really wanted one that was wooden LOL). Also, we may or may not be moving in 2-3 years when DH finishes his PhD, and I didn't want to have to decide whether to move big set.

He's never been the most adventurous kid. He enjoys swinging, and doing the occasional slide. Same if we go to a park with a playground. It is just his personality. He's not huge on climbing and going down the bigger stuff.

He's approaching 3.5 now and still uses the metal set a few times a week. He and his friend next door swing on it and slide on it from time to time. We've had bigger kids here playing on it happily (kindergarten/1st grade age).

In our case, I'm so, so glad we didn't spend for a huge set. If DD is a more adventurous kid, we might opt for a bigger wooden set since by the time she's 2-3 DS will be 5 or 6, so that might be a good time for us to go that route.

Our metal set isn't IMO unattractive. It is dark green and a cream/tan color, so it blends right into the woods that are behind our house.

I think our metal set was about $200ish?

If you have a kid that really enjoys the bigger structures at playgrounds/parks/other homes, I think I'd be more inclined to go with one of those. If you aren't sure about how into it they'll be, then I'd be more inclined to go with a smaller set and if they really liked and used it, go with a bigger set. You could resell a metal set for a little money, and still only be out $100 or $150. If you buy a big set and they don't use it, the loss is way more substantial.

BillK
06-26-2007, 11:11 AM
We have a Play Around Trading Post and my wife and son use it every day that weather permits. Like you - we also have a nice community park about a block from us. We do go there sometimes but our swing set gets used every single day - even if only for an hour or so. Zach's only 28 months now but I can't imagine him out growing it any time soon.

The one thing I kind of regret is all the money I sunk into the rubber mulch play area - only because of the heat it retains. I swear it's about 15 degrees hotter in the play area than anywhere else on a sunny day. Overall I'm happy with the rubber mulch but man it's smokin' hot on a sunny day.

geochick
06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I think it just depends on your situation. My two neighbors both have the big Costco-style sets for their kids (ages 4-12), and I RARELY see their kids on them. Their kids do more running around the neighborhood, play hide and seek, basketball, swim, etc. We have been putting off buying one since we love to go to the park, and we go about 3 times each week. Because our neighbors have them and rarely use them, we're not likely to buy one. If you have a park nearby or have other ideas for play in your yard, I'd go that way. If your kids are really lazy, and would gain health benefits from more exercise like that, I'd buy one in a second.

zoestargrove
06-26-2007, 07:47 PM
It's a toughg call. We have the same set up as Bill and we use it EVERYDAY. My boys 2.5 and 4 are really adventurous climbers and really into imaginary play. The swingset is used as the backbone to so many of their make believe adventures. however, we just built a large 8x12foot sandbox that they spend hours in.
I don't regret our swingset investment and am happy with how much we've used our set and feel certain they won't outgrow it for a few more years yet. BUT

I think if space was limited and I lived a block from the park, I'd probably opt for a sandbox and playhouse. Family fun magazine has plans for a large sandbox with wooden cover that doubles as a stage.

good luck with your decision.
Kelly

tiapam
06-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I would skip it because of the size of your yard and the parks close by. We also have a small yard and we just got a sandbox and a single swing that we hung on an existing clothes pole. So far so good and only about $50 total.

I like going to the park for socializing, too, not just activity.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

kijip
06-27-2007, 01:03 AM
We too have a small yard and a nice city park less than a block away. We are not getting a swing set. I figure he will get much more enjoyment out of his gardening (flowers and veggies and tomatoes) and out of a sprinkler than a swing. More so since there is a totally awesome set up at the park that exceeds anything I could fit or ever afford. :P

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

MelissaTC
06-28-2007, 01:39 PM
We don't have a set. DS asks for one all the time and we will get one when we move. But it is nice to have the space in the yard to play tee-ball, practice golf putting, play with the slip and slide, etc... I know my DS and I know he will play with that darn thing for awhile and since we will have at least one more child in our family, I think the investment will be worth it. DS at school and at the park spends ALL of his time on the swings and climbers.

jermak
06-28-2007, 04:48 PM
We have a nice one which gets played with off and on, but not all the time. Our weather here isn't great- very hot and humid in teh summer and rainy in the spring etc. If I lived that close to a park I'd punt on the swing set and use theirs and purchase things for the kids which aren't avaiable at the park! My kids love the sand and water table!!! A play house is always fun too! Good luck with your decision

mom to little e
06-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry for the highjack - do you think you would have chosen something different for the play area now that you know it retains heat? I'm hoping to get a cedarworks if they have a good sale this fall and want to keep in mind our mulch options. We are in a pretty warm climate so I don't want it to be too hot.

TIA,
Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

hellokitty
06-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Ditto that. We have a really nice childlife playset. We definitely get our $'s worth, but then I have a toddler and a preschooler boys, so they are very active and love to climb AND swing. We intentionally got a set that can be expanded as the children become more advanced. I think that is the main problem with playsets. Ppl buy a playset and their kids either grow into it, or grow out of it. The key is to get one that is developmentally appropriate for your kids. Next yr we'll be adding the taller eagle's nest to our set, and a trapeze bar and maybe a climbing wall. When they kids get older, we're going to add monkey bars too. If we lived close to a park, we wouldn't have gotten the swingset. Almost every household in our neighbhorhood with young children has a playset. However, I notice that other than our playset, only one other playset gets played with. Other ones basically just take up space and rarely get used.

BillK
06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
>Sorry for the highjack - do you think you would have chosen
>something different for the play area now that you know it
>retains heat? I'm hoping to get a cedarworks if they have a
>good sale this fall and want to keep in mind our mulch
>options. We are in a pretty warm climate so I don't want it
>to be too hot.
>
>TIA,
>Maryann
>Mommy to Ean & Mia!

Honestly - no I'd still choose the rubber mulch. We've had an exceptionally hot spring/early summer here in W. PA - but the safety factor and not having to replace/add to rubber mulch every year or so makes it worth it to me. We got our rubber mulch from www.closetheloop.com for a LOT less than other places. It's only available in black at the lower price but still looks fine to us.

CiderLogan
06-29-2007, 02:37 PM
We just got a Playaround (the smaller one) about a month ago. We use it daily, often several times a day. It is a great way to entertain multiple kids who visit without having to let a whole crew come inside, and it's really good for DD1 when she gets bored of our indoor activities and needs a change of pace. She LOVES to swing but hardly uses the slide/climbing area (we knew this going in - which is one reason we bought the $1000 Sam's deal instead of spending about three times that for a custom Cedarworks set). I also like that both girls can be in swings, contained for a minute and happy, while I just sit. It is so nice to have a place in our own backyard to entertain them.

BUT all of our parks require driving to get to them. I'd feel a lot differently if one were just a block away. So, for your situation, I'd hold off. I'd suggest getting some sort of outdoor thing (like a sandbox) just to have something in your yard to get the kids excited about. And think of all the money you'll save!

Jenny
~~~~~
Mommy to two beautiful girls,
ages 1 and almost 4

hellokitty
06-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Just offering a different opinion. We have pea gravel and we love it. First, the kids love playing with it, and when it rains, it drains relatively quickly. Our neighbors used the mulch and when it rains, the mulch stays wet... and then their kids have mulch stuck all over them. We looked into the rubber stuff, but it was waaaay too expensive for us, since our play area ended up pretty big.

BeachBum
07-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all of your responses. As for now we are taking a wait and see approach. Our yard is still under construction so we couldn't be using it now anyway. But I just hate that the Sam's set will not be available in early fall when we can really see how our space feels.
DS will be two in the fall, so even if we end up buying next year I don't think it will be too late.

alexsmommy
07-01-2007, 06:01 PM
We got otu Rainbow playset last year when DS was three. We opted to spend the same amount of money as a Costco set for a smaller set bought from Rainbow due to our yard size. We could not be happier. DS uses it almost daily, weather permitting, spring, summer and fall. DS is also big into imaginative play and we have a sand/water table in the mulched area as well. We have two parks within four blocks of our house, but sometime I just want to sit in my yard or do work and this way he can while I'm on the deck. It's been a lifesaver while pregnant, I've had little desire to go too far.
Having said all that though, if we had a really small yard, I'm not sure I'd want to take up all of our space. I'd see what the smallest footprint would be that you could get.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

ilovetivo
08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Bill - do you remember which type of black rubber mulch you got, quantity and how much?
Thanks!