PDA

View Full Version : Train Tables - Do they come in smaller sizes?

mom2ethan
06-26-2007, 06:46 PM
This may seem like an odd question, but is there such a thing as a small train table? The ones I've seen at friend's houses and in stores all seem to be too big for our small condo. We have a train set but my kids rarely play with it because they don't have a good place to set it up. They love to play with train tables when they see one though. We have carpet so the floor doesn't work well. I thought a small train table would help. Any suggestions?

Susan

Alys the Cat
06-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi. We have the large table, so no personal experience, but Nilo does make a smaller size: http://www.dianatoystore.com/nimelecota.html.

I guess you'd just have to determine if it would accommodate enough tracks for a decent play experience. Maybe some other mamas here have one like this...

kcimato
06-26-2007, 09:47 PM
We also have the Nilo table, but the big one which is quite large. We have 2 storage boxes that go underneath. You can really get a lot of toys in it. It might be worth checking out the medium table. The link from the previous post has the best prices also.

kaitlinsmommy
06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I just wanted to chime in that we have the PBK train table & I think it would be difficult setting up layouts if it was any smaller. A regular figure 8 set goes almost the whole way across, and when you are trying to set up other stuff, you kinda need some room.

Just my 2 cents.

icunurse
06-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I was just at TRU and saw that they were showing two different size tables. But they are Thomas, so I am sure they are charging a nice amount for them....

sdjeppa
06-26-2007, 11:50 PM
I found a Battat train table with a wooden train set at Marshall's for $50 a couple years ago. It is about 1/2 the size of the regular train tables...you can't get very imaginative with the layout, but it was nice when my son was younger...now he wants more room :).

ellies mom
06-27-2007, 03:24 AM
We went with the beast of a Nilo table because their smaller one was too small to do more than a super small layout. Honestly, though for as often as we make a layout, I should have just bought the medium one. The large one takes up so much space in the play room.

Maybe you could consider one of the train tables that slides under a bed. Then you could pull it out to play and push it back under when they are through. You honestly could make one pretty easily and cheaply. Just a sheet of plywood with a lip around the edges and put it on casters.

The indoor play park we used to belong to had the train table on the floor for a while and the kids liked it just as much. The sides were actually taller than a normal train table because it had a lid that slide into place so we could move it without losing trains. It was homemade and worked great.

BeachBum
06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
I have a 36" inch round coffee table and it is far too small for train play. I can't fit a figure 8 on it.
From this experience, I realize that train tables are big for a reason!

kali
06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
What about the Thomas under the bed table? It has a low profile (8" high) so you can stow it away under the bed.

I agree with the PPs that it's less fun if the surface is too small.

Kali,
Mom to Sammy, born 7/16/04

GaPeachInCA
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
I have to agree with everyone else that a small table wouldn't work that well. We don't have a train table and make layouts on either our hardwood or carpeted floor and they are huge. Bigger than the usual train table, I am sure.

What about just a piece of board or something if you feel like you need something flat to set it up on?

mom2ethan
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all of the input. To make sure we have enough room for the layouts, I think I'll look at the under the bed version or try just a board.

Susan