PDA

View Full Version : What size bed did you buy for your DC after the crib?

TahliasMom
06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
My DD is 3 years old. First 2 years she was in her crib and the last year she's been sleeping wiht me because of space issues. Now that she's going to have her own room I'm debating what size bed to get. I always thought I would get her a twin with a rail guard but I have seen and heard different things from different moms.
Please share your experience or thoughts and what you would have bought if you had a chance to do it over.

TIA

mudder17
06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
We went from the crib to the twin-sized IKEA "loft" bed shown below:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/mudder17/Kurabed.jpg

It's awesome because there is a mini "wall" on all four sides (except where the ladder is and initially, we put a pilow right there). She loves it and feels safe and secure in there.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

pb&j
06-29-2007, 07:06 PM
DS will have a full sized bed because that is what we currently have in his room and the guest room and I am not willing to buy a new bed *and* have to buy new bedding, too. It seems like a waste to buy a toddler bed that will be outgrown in just a couple of years. I guess I'm just that cheap!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Alys the Cat
06-29-2007, 09:16 PM
We went with a twin. If we had room for a full, we probably would have gone that route.

I didn't see the point of getting a toddler bed, since they use a crib-size mattress.

KrystalS
06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
We got DD a full size bed because I'm tall and DD has always been in the 90% on the growth charts. I didn't want to buy a twin size bed that I would probably end up replacing at some point. I just think the twin size beds are so small, I can't imagine a teenager sleeping in them.

KrystalS
06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
We got DD a full size bed because I'm tall and DD has always been in the 90% on the growth charts. I didn't want to buy a twin size bed that I would probably end up replacing at some point. I just think the twin size beds are so small, I can't imagine a teenager sleeping in them.

hillview
06-30-2007, 12:02 PM
We went with a queen. For a few reasons:
- it fits exactly in a nook in his room (no need for rails)
- it is same size as ours so share bedding
- we don't have a guest room so if my sister comes etc DS can camp out and they can sleep in his bed

We got it at IKEA so it wasn't $$.

/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
06-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Twin bed, no rail (b/c of info about risks of entrapment w/ side rails especially in the under 2yo set). The bed was in our guest room. New house doesn't have a guest room- ds was the perfect recipient. :) One side against the wall, floor lined with pillows the first few night. No problems. I didn't want to invest in a short term piece of furniture. Will eventually get a queen for him.

ETA ds was over 3 when he made the switch from his crib.
Beth

julieakc
06-30-2007, 01:01 PM
We moved DS to a toddler bed at about 26.5 months. DS is developmentally delayed due because of low muscle tone, he started walking independently just before his second birthday and then a couple months later was crawling over the rail of his crib and falling out, so the crib definitely had to go. I didn't feel comfortable moving him into a bigger bed.

I hear lots of people mention the cost factor, but we bought a new toddler bed at BRU for $100 and used the crib mattress. He has been in that bed over a year now and will probably be in it at least until his 4th birthday (at this point I'm thinking somewhere between 4 and 5 to get him a twin bed), so the cost will end up being WAY less than .50 cents a day, not to mention that I will probably sell it on craigslis and re-coup some of the cost. He'll end up being in the $100 toddler bed longer than in the $400 crib (he was in a co-sleeper in our room until about 8 months), so for me I just don't see the cost as being an issue.

Also...

1) DS can easily get in/out of the toddler bed since day 1 (remember he has low muscle tone, so this likely would have been an issue at least early on in a twin bed).

2) I think he likes having his own little bed that is just his size

3) Didn't take up any more space in his room than the crib, which meant no re-arranging of stuff when we suddenly had to make the switch

4) the couple of times he's rolled out of bed he hasn't even woken up because the bed is so low to the ground (this also meant no worrying for me when we first made the switch)

5) No extra apparatus or preparation (pillows/blankets on the floor) because of it being low to the ground

Hope this helps. I just wanted you to have another perspective. This was the right decision for us and I have no regrets at all about the way we did things.

nupe
06-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Full size
1) can be used as a guest bed
2) plenty of room for stuffed animals/etc
3) I had a double growing up and a twin seems sooo small
4) we can join ds in bed if he is sick, etc

KAK22
06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
We went with a toddler bed because we have my old bunkbeds (twin on top - full futon couch or full bed on bottom) for DD to move to when she is older. We don't want them in her room yet (28mos), so we went the toddler bed route.

If we hadn't had the bunkbeds, then we would have gone with a twin.

new_mommy25
06-30-2007, 09:53 PM
We went with a twin bed. We did one with shelves and drawers to maximize storage. I would have liked to get a full but space is at a premium in our current house. If we ever move somewhere bigger I will consider buying a new bed.

This is what we have
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51M6diirNqL._SS500_.jpg

eta because I didn't answer the original question:
We switched DS right around his second birthday. One side of the bed is pushed up against the wall and we didn't bother with a bed rail or snug tuck on the other side. He fell out of the bed once and I put pillows up for a few days but after that he was fine. He hasn't fallen out of bed since.

I do have this on my bed since I co-sleep with DD. I've been happy with it.
http://www.gobedbug.com/

almostamom
06-30-2007, 10:18 PM
We'll go with the toddler bed first since the crib converts to a toddler bed. We're not there just yet. I thought about eventually getting a double but decided to do a twin with a trundle for sleepovers.

Linda

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks for reminding me that for a few nights ds slept in his transformed crib-to-toddler bed. We gave him the choice every night btw that and the twin bed and it didn't take long for him to pick the twin bed. It was nice that the crib had that option though so no extra bes to buy.

Beth

Sillygirl
07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
We got a toddler bed because Jonathan still really liked his crib and we needed to move it out to make room there for Alex. He thought the firetruck bed was so super-cool, he didn't mind about losing the crib. Worth the extra money, IMO.

madteaparty
07-01-2007, 12:18 PM
May I ask what company that bed is from? It lookes very nice and we are about to purchase a twin bed for DS as well. Thanks in advance.

alexsmommy
07-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Full - but that's because we have the room and until we finish our basement, his room serves as the guest room. My 14 y/o DSD has a twin bed (she's in a smaller room) and the new addition will get a twin due to space. If I had the space, all the kids would have full, but we don't. I like that one of us can get into bed with DS when he is sick or has a nightmare.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

lilycat88
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
We did a toddler bed. But, it was only because I got one from Craigslist for $20. We weren't in any hurry to get DD out of the crib since we didn't need it for another baby and DD loved her crib and never had tried to get out. We put up the toddler bed the weekend we were potty training when the changing table went away. No intention of pushing anything but within a week, she wanted to sleep in her new bed.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

“We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty, and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.� --Unknown

TahliasMom
07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi
How does the bee bumper work? do you have to get a bigger sheet? sorry I can't really tell from the pic. Also can we use it in the crib? Sorry for the silly questions! My other option was to convert the crib into the toddler bed but I didnt work to fork over another $65! We have the Sorelle Lana. Also does anyone know the weigh limit for a crib? DD is 32 lbs so I'm just trying to weigh cost vs length of use!!!

TIA!!!

luvsviola
07-03-2007, 10:06 PM
We will be going to a toddler bed because someone gave it to us. Her crib bedding fits, so there was no cost. I like it because if she falls out, she won't fall far and can climb in and out by herself easily.

KBecks
07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
I'd like to know where the bedroom set came from too!

new_mommy25
07-05-2007, 01:42 PM
We bought the bed from a local furniture store here called Home World. It's the Erika Mates bed from Canwood.

Here are some links I found online
http://tinyurl.com/yt8hzy
http://tinyurl.com/25p6gk

new_mommy25
07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
double post

new_mommy25
07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
The bumper works just fine on our queen bed. We have it on top the matress pad and under the fitted sheet. We didn't have buy new sheets but the sheets that we do have are very generous. I think it would fit fine if I were to put in on DS's twin bed but the sheet may gap a tiny bit.

You can use it in a crib as long as the crib has been converted to a toddler bed. Here is a picture from their website.
http://gobedbug.tripod.com/evaincrib.jpg

TahliasMom
07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
cool. well i ordered one and can't wait to try it. ;)the crib sheets I have are from babystyle and they're very stretchy so that should work! thanks again. you saved me a lot of money!!!!