PDA

View Full Version : Calico critters and plan toys dollhouse?

sarahsthreads
07-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm already thinking ahead to Christmas, and based on DD's current obsession with all things doll and doll-house related, I'm planning to give her a doll house.

A friend recommended the calico critters dolls and furniture, but I really prefer the look of the plan toys doll houses to the calico critters houses. Does anyone know if this doll house (the "My First Dollhouse" from Plan Toys) http://tinyurl.com/25vpbw and the calico critters will work scale-wise?

Or any other recommendations...? I'm not totally convinced about the calico critters in the first place, although DD did have a chance to play with some today and had an enormous meltdown when it was time to leave. They just seem awfully tiny (and easily lost!)

Thanks!
Sarah :)

lisams
07-05-2007, 12:38 AM
DD has a dollhouse that looks very similar (I think it was made by Melissa and Doug, but it's the same "floorplan"). We also have a set of Calico Critters, a cat family. DD LOVES them, but she's not a big fan of dolls so these are perfect since she loves anything animal. They're smaller than the dolls that would normally go with the dollhouse, but they're doable. I wouldn't say they're too small.

Not sure I helped there! The Calico Critters sure are cute!

Canna
07-05-2007, 07:33 AM
We have a PT house and I have thought about getting some Calico Critters to inhabit it because I think DD would love them. I think they would work in the house. She's way more into people than dolls. Her current dollhouse has one dog (pet) inhabitant and that's her favorite part! :D

Babywhite
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
We are getting DD the Ryan's Room dollhouse for Christmas. I was thinking about getting the basement part and putting the Calico Critter Mice family in that section. After pricing the basement part, I decided to purchase DD a Calico Critter set for her birthday (August) to see if she really likes them. I got a good deal on a Ryan's Room backyard treehouse set, so I'm buying a CC Panda family for it. Just another idea... :)

sarahsthreads
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks! DD loves both dolls and animals, so it's hard to say which she'd rather play with. Maybe I'll buy one set of each and see which she plays with more!

sarahsthreads
07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
OK, good to know you think they'd work too. Of course, knowing they'll work doesn't make my decision easier, since now I have two options. Good thing it's a while before Christmas. I can waffle for months! ;)

sarahsthreads
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
That's a really great idea! I was thinking of adding the basement for a future birthday or Christmas gift, and a family of mice down there sounds adorable.

Can I ask what made you pick Ryan's Room over Plan Toys? They look really similar, but the RR house is twice the price. Is it significantly bigger? I know practically nothing about doll houses, I just saw the PT one at a local children's museum and liked the layout - plus DD loved playing with it!

kaitlinsmommy
07-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I also planned to get dd a CC Family with her dollhouse. She is just way more into animals than people dolls. I think it's a great idea & that they will work together.

kaitlinsmommy
07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I also planned to get dd a CC Family with her dollhouse. She is just way more into animals than people dolls. I think it's a great idea & that they will work together.

Babywhite
07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
After reading the reviews on this board, it just seems that most people like the RR's open layout the best. I don't have the option of seeing either dollhouse in person, so I usually just go with the majority in these cases. :)

RW

egoldber
07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
We have some CC and also a very similar Plan dollhouse (ours is an older version though).

Honestly, I don't really care for either one. The CC are very small and my DD has a hard time managing their clothes. But she is very into taking clothes on and off her dolls. They are adorable though.

I may be the one that complains about the layout of the Plan dollhouse. My DD has a hard time getting things in and out of the house. Also, the front "doors" that slide are always falling off the track. We also have a lot of the Plan furniture and it has splintered and cracked a great deal. I have not been impressed at all with the quality of the Plan stuff I have.

When DD does use the dollhouse, she will use pretty much any doll or toy figure with it: CC, Little People, FP Loving Family dolls (I actually like these the best), Sweet Streets dolls, Polly Pockets, Papo figures, etc.

If I had to do it all again, I would get something like the FP Loving Family dollhouse or the FP My First Dollhouse. They don't have the same nice look, but I personally think they have more play value.

Pennylane
07-07-2007, 10:05 AM
My dd received the Calico Critters dollhouse as a gift when she turned 4. Although I think it is adorable and she loves to play with the animals I don't think it is a great doll house to buy for a little one. The clothes are nearly impossible for her to get on and when she takes them off she usually ends up ripping something. I packed it away for awhile and when she is older I'll get it back out.

Ann

ellies mom
07-07-2007, 03:36 PM
That is our plan because I think the calico critters doll houses are totally over-priced. We are planning on getting Plan's Terrace doll house. Honestly, I have to say that I doubt the kids care about scale as much as we do. I know I really had to work past that. And even if the scale is off now, the Plan doll house will go with other dolls later unlike the Calico Critter doll houses.

I know how you feel about the Calico Critters. But my DD just loves them too. I had to drag her away from them for over 1.5 years before I finally bought her a family last month.

We are going to buy the calico critter storage box for now. It runs about $25 and it not only stores dolls and furniture but has two "rooms". It is basically a cardboard box but the storage and portability will come in handy both now and later, especially since her birthday isn't until November.

new_mommy25
07-08-2007, 06:04 AM
I haven't bought DD a doll house so I am totally talking out of my a** right now. However my current plan is to buy the Fisher Price My First Doll House for her sometime this year. She'll play with that for a few years and when she is old enough I think I will go with the Ryans Room Home is Where The Heart is doll house. I have seen it IRL and really like the open layout where you could play on all sides. I also think the RR Sunshine Manor is tdf adorable! Of course, by the time DD is 5 there might be a totally new and better option out there. :)