PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Harness - What am I doing wrong?

stonecali
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
OK, after reading posts about how these things were great for kids that tend to take off.... I bought one at Target. It was like $8.50 - perfect. We put it on at home, and my DD (27 mo.) loved the monkey. She wanted to wear the harness all day.

So, last night we go to Legoland (for the fireworks!) and thought it was a perfect time to try it out.

First of all, she wanted to hold the leash part, kind of like a dog who wants to hold the leash in his mouth when you walk him. OK, after a bit she forgot about the leash as more colorful lego creatures got her attention. :)

But, here's the problem, she is one of those kids that just takes off full steam when she sees something neat (which is why I got this, because if she sees something she wants, she does NOT want to hold my hand). So, we found ourselves in the situation where she would take off and reach the end of the leash before we could react and it would yank. Or, when she reached the end, she would lean into it and end up leaning so much that she was on the ground (does that make sense?). That is NOT something that I want to happen in public because it just doesn't look good. I know these harness things get questionable looks from people even when the kid is walking nicely - you can imagine what looks you would get if this was happening!

So, then I tried holding her hand with the end of the "tail" around my wrist, and she would try so hard to get her hand out of mine that she would end up twisting to the ground until I let go.

Does it get better? Or, are these harnesses just not meant for some kids? I need something to keep her safe if I'm ever out with both kids alone. After a while, she does NOT want to be in the stroller, and she does not stay by my side if she is out of it! What to do.... what to do.....

BeachBum
07-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I think it just takes practice/ learning the boundaries. My son was so much younger when we started using it that we didn't have those same problems.

elephantmeg
07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
It has a learning curve that's for sure. The first several times were strange and it's slowly getting better. DS really wants to walk himself and when he was younger it would knock him over (not as good of a walker) but he's getting used to it now!

carolines mommy
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
She is going to learn the limitations of it eventually. It took Caroline some time to figure it out too. Now she knows some freedom is better than no freedom. The way I look at it is it may not look good to some people but I'd rather deal with dirty looks than have to plea for the return of my child on national tv.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

fivi2
07-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Too funny - I could have written your post. Except I have twins. We have tried it twice and the same thing, but they would go in opposite directions so I am standing there with my arms out them at the end of their leashes so I can't reach either one of them. So we stand there until one or both fall down. I don't really know a good way to practice so I look forward to hearing the responses you get! (My girls are 18 months old)

deannanb
07-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I read somewhere to add an "extra" tail for child to hold while you have the real leash!

stonecali
07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Great idea!!!

daisymommy
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Ha-Ha! Joshua did all the same things, so don't feel bad :) It does get better, it just takes practice--on their part--to realize that they can only go so far or it becomes uncomfortable for them. It does feel silly when they are straining against their ummm...tail/leash? and falling to the ground as people stare at you and either smile thinking it's cute (or not!), but I took the same approach that many mamas here do: at least they're safe!

american_mama
07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I haven't had a rousing success with monkey harness. Same thing as you are describing happened when I used it at a store. Worked great when I was at DD1's gymnastics class and had to keep DD2 off all the equipment. The difference is that in the class, I have no agenda and I just follow DD2 around wherever (safe) place she chooses to go. In the store, I have my own agenda and am trying to get DD2 to walk with me. So, for me, monkey harness only works when it's all about the kid.