PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with Play-a-round swingset assembly problems?

hfrase
07-06-2007, 09:07 AM
We recently bound a Trading Post swingset from Play-a-round. It uses mortise and tenon construction. We are unable to assemble it “as delivered� and have been told by the company to trim the tenons. Has anyone else had this or other problems with a play-a-round system?

The play-a-round system is assembled by inserting the tenons into holes in posts. For us the holes are placed so that when one tenon is inserted it partially blocks the hole into which another tenon is supposed to go.

We called the company about this problem and they told us to trim the ends of the tenon.

I am concerned about this because we are going to have to trim a lot of tenon a large amount. We’ve only partially assembled 1 structure and to make the tenons on it fit we will have to trim 12 tenons. I suspect that we will have to trim more when we assemble the rest. Additionally we will have to trim off about half an inch per tenon. This seems excessive.

Heather

Twoboos
07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
We (uh, that'd be DH :-)) had to do some "trimming" too. We got the Lookout and I think he had to trim off of 2 or maybe 3 posts. He was REALLY annoyed by this. He chipped away until it was just enough to get the post in, probably maybe around a half inch +/-. We also had to do some creative drilling to get the swing beam aligned properly.

It's still very sturdy IMO. Once you get it all together it really does support itself and the trimming does not seem like it compromised the structure, at least for us.