PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide on a Bike Please!

annasmom
07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
This weekend is the moment of truth - both our local bike shop and our Target have their pink 16" bikes in stock. So now the decision, buy the $40ish bike (I think its Magna brand) from Target, or the $150 Trek bike from the bike shop.

I know I have asked this before, but what do you think? Should I go for the higher end bike? Is there really a difference in how they ride? TIA!

August Mom
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I would buy whichever fits DD the best and the one she feels more comfortable riding.

annasmom
07-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks, unfortunately the Target bike comes unassembled and in a box. So I guess my question would be concerning the overall quality of the product.

BeachBum
07-07-2007, 07:16 AM
I have no experience with the bikes you are comparing. That said, I would buy the more expensive bike.
I had a bike from Wal-Mart for myself. I thought it was fine--but annoying. The brakes didnt' work well is the main thing I noticed. Then my husband bought me a nicer bike from a bike shop. WOW, WOW, WOW. There was just a world of difference. It make the whole experience so much better. Sure the WalMart bike worked---but comparing side by side was amazing. I just had no idea that two bikes that loooked similar could ride so differently.
I took away the lesson that you don't want to buy a cheap bike (unless it is that, or no bike).
I think particularly with a child you want a bike where the breaks work well and that it provides a superior experience. The bike will be loved an abused.
Good luck with your decision.

ECMom
07-07-2007, 08:01 AM
My son has a Trek. We looked at bikes at Toys R Us, Target, Wal-mart, etc; however, the quality wasn't the same. These bikes had plastic and/or aluminum parts versus steel construction. We wanted a bike that would last until he was ready for the next size. Plus our local bike shop offers a trade in allowance when we're ready to buy the next size.

annasmom
07-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone! We are heading to the bike shop this morning!

DDowning
07-07-2007, 11:28 AM
We just bought a 16" Janis bike for DS this past week at a local bike shop. We've been really pleased with the quality. You might want to inquire if they have a trade-in program. When it comes time for him to move up to a bigger bike, ours allows 50-60% off the purchase price towards a newer one.

lmintzer
07-07-2007, 12:44 PM
We have the 12" Trek and the 16" Trek and love them both! DS#1 used the 12" for 2 years and is now on the 16". I figure I'll get at least 2 years/bike for each boy, so that makes it worth the extra $.

annasmom
07-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks everyone! We bought the 16" Trek, and so far it is really great. I was really amazed how quickly she was able to ride it, including turns. She was not always able to turn with her trike so easily. The bike seems to ride really smoothly too. So hopefully she will get a few years of good use out of it!

By they way, thanks for the tip about the trade-in program. I didn't ask, but I definitely will. I think this shop probably does have something like that. It is a big bicycle riding town, and the shop has a pretty big rental business as well.