PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick just one book...

TracyBee
07-07-2007, 02:23 PM
What would it be?

DD received a very generous gift of a set of all the How Do Dinosaurs books from a friend for her birthday. She received duplicates of How Do Dinosaurs Get Well, so one of those copies is going back to Borders. Just trying to get some ideas as to what I should exchange for.

egoldber
07-07-2007, 03:01 PM
For what age?

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I think I would pick either "Knuffle Bunny" by Mo Willems or one of the Bear books by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman ("Bear Wants More," "Bear Snores On,"...check out the selection and see which you like best).

The Laura Numeroff books are great too ("If you ____ a ____ to ____"). Final thought would be the "Click, Clack, Moo" or "Giggle, Giggle, Quack" books by Doreen Cronin.

HTH! Those are all books we have loved. The Bear ones are my personal favorite. :)

Beth

TracyBee
07-07-2007, 10:46 PM
It's her 4th birthday.

new_mommy25
07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Some of my DS's current favorites
Olivia
Richard Scarry's Best Storybook ever
Tikki Tikki Tembo
Babar (though I don't care for it)
Choo Choo or Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

fortato
07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Skippyjon Jones.

Any of them are Hilarous!

Or-

Time of Wonder by Robert McCLoskey (Make way for Ducklings, and Blueberries for Sal author)

fortato
07-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Tikki Tikki Tembo is my ALL TIME FAVORITE...

I have 3 copies.. just in case one wears out.

new_mommy25
07-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Time of Wonder is a beautiful book but my DS is incapable of sitting through it. Hopefully soon he will enjoy it more because I sure do.

Noah received this copy of McCloskey books for his 3rd bday and it's really nice to have them all in one though it is a bit heavy when you are reading aloud in bed. http://tinyurl.com/yqxels

My personal favorite McCloskey from when I was a kid is One Morning in Maine. I should look for my copy next time I'm at my mom's. http://tinyurl.com/255l8h

supercalifragilous
07-09-2007, 01:25 AM
I second the SkippyJon Jones series! DD just found them at the library a few weeks ago and we're on the waiting list for the others! The library ones came with a read-along CD with Judy Schachner (author). It's great b/c she sings all the songs way better than I would! DD listened to it over & over & over - It was hard for her to turn them back into the library!

SheriRae
07-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Sorry for the slight hijack, but.........

We just picked up "Knuffle Bunny" and "Bear Snores On" at Beth's suggestion.

Awesome, Awesome AWESOME! My dd loves them! She was due a couple new good books. I love to hear from her "Read this book, read this book!"

Thanks again!

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Yay! :) Glad they are a hit! My ds just giggles like mad at Trixie's attempts to say "knuffle bunny."

Beth

jenmcadams
07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Anything by Robert Munsch -- Paperbag Princess is a favorite as is Purple, Green and Yellow. We have a bunch of his individual books in paperback, but we also have the Munschworks Grand Treasury and starting around 3 1/2 up until now (she's almost 5), this book gets picked most nights for story time

brittone2
07-09-2007, 09:57 AM
DS loves the bear books as well. He's almost 3.5
He's also getting into chapter books now. We've done Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Henry Huggins, we're finishing Mr. Popper's Penguins, and I just found a cheap used copy of Stuart Little. Those might be an option too (there was a recent long-ish post here or in the Lounge about chapter books for this age group).

Lolagirl
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
My boys are currently in love with "I'm Not Going Out There":
http://www.amazon.com/Im-Not-Going-Out-There/dp/1561485357/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2139225-5316805?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184020603&sr=8-1

It's a really fun book about a little boy describing lots of usually scary stuff in a way that makes it not so scary. My kids love this book so much that we will probably make it our standard birthday gift for other kids we know.

Jen841
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Jude is all into "Curious George goes to the Hospital" has been to our benefit as myself and others were in some unexpected medical situations over the last few months. Amazing when your 4 year old asks if you had barium.

We have most of the CG series, and Jude goes to bed with one nightly.

There is a Tonka series he really enjoys too. I confess I have learned from each one. I like them b/c you can see him learning, and applying it to life. We saw a piece of equipment on a flat bed and he told me exactly what it was. I read the book for the first time with me a few days later and I saw the light!

Another idea is some music. My kids are all into dancing lately. Our favs are Dan Zanes, Laurie Berkner and Ralph's World.

What a great situation to be in! I love buying books.

Swirvin
07-10-2007, 04:05 AM
Miss Suzy by Miriam Young is very popular at our house. It was a book I loved as a child (okay so I am probably dating myself here lol;-)

When I saw the anniversary edition come out I immediately bought it. Both of my kids, 2.5 ds and 5 dd, love it.

TracyBee
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to Borders on my lunch today. I'll probably come home with more than one book - lol!

thomma
07-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Love these books! I laugh out loud when I read them to my second graders.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

thomma
07-10-2007, 10:50 AM
sorry!

thomma
07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
It's hard to pick only one...
but my current favorite is Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

oneplustwo
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
If I could pick only one, it would be Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young, by Jack Prelutsky (and illustrated by Marc Brown). We received it as a gift when DD was born, and we return to it again and again.

TracyBee
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I ended up with Knuffle Bunny and Bear Wants More - I knew I couldn't come out with just one - lol!

Thanks for your help!