PDA

View Full Version : Child Bike Seat reviews and compatibility?

kayte
07-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Any good websites comparing child bike seats and/or a site that tells if a seat is compatible with a certain bike?

Any experience with a great bike seat?

I am pretty sure I want a seat not a trailer. Any reasons not to?

I am just starting my research but not having much luck. I *think* I am getting a Trek LIME for my birthday next month.

TIA

brittone2
07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
DH uses both a Rhode Gear bikeseat and a trailer with DS (almost 3.5). DS prefers the trailer (we have a Burley D-Lite scored for $50 used). I think the seats are usually compatible w/ most bikes? DH has a Specialized brand road bike.

I think bike trailers are actually considered safer. DH and DS use both depending on what they are doing and what DS is in the mood for.

I don't ever have DS with me so I can't really comment on the benefits of one vs. the other, but Rhode Gear seats get pretty good reviews generally.

Happy almost birthday ;)

gisele
07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Bike trailers are much safer than seats. If you crash, instead of baby going down with you, the trailer can stay upright while the bike is turned sideways. The baby in a trailer is also protected by a cage so if it does turn, the baby doesn't crash to the ground but is suspended. My husband is an avid bicyclist and would only consider a trailer.

BeachBum
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I have this one www.weeride.com and just love it. It is a front mount seat instead of a back. While I realize there are lots of pros to trailers, I like having my DS near so I can hear him, talk and interactive with him while we are riding.
This seat brand also comes with the option to buy an extra bar so you can quickly change the seat from one bike to another.
The seat will not work with my husband's road bike, but works great with my crossover type bike.

Jen841
07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
When living in Chicago I only would consider a seat b/c of storage, and all of the rough curbs. We now have both b/c DH's bike (fancy mountain bike) does not have holes in the frame for a seat.

Our seat (3 years old) is a Co-Pilot Limo (Rhode?). Jude really is too big for it now (4) and really has been for a year at least. He prefers the trailer b/c he can move around.

Our trailer (garage sale Mongoose) will fit on any bike. Seats are not as compatible. I have a Trek that is 5 years old, a "female" mountain bike. A store can tell you what will work. You will need to have a kick stand if you don't have one already.

Seat or trailer, you are teaching you child that exercise is fun! Ride on safe terrain and it will be a fun time for all. We have a rear trailer and can go on spontaneous rides now and it is so much fun! E (2) and J (4) we split up if the 2 of us are going, but can each do them both with the trailer (if you are willing to handle the bickering).

Happy trails!

JdrKuhnert
07-10-2007, 01:13 AM
We have the Kettler Teddy and love it. There are side compartments to hold snacks, water, and whatever else we can squeeze in the boxes. We bought an extra mounting clamp and switch the seat between my bike and my husband's bike. As far as I know, the Teddy is compatible with most bikes. The mounting clamp has various sized inserts to fit around the bike frame. My son really enjoys riding up high and seeing everything. He hates his helmet, though!

o_mom
07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
We have a trailer and a seat. They both have strengths and weaknesses from a safety perspective. Biking with kids has an element of risk to it whatever way you go.

The trailer will not tip if the bike does, but it can roll off the edge of a road. Since it is wider than the bike, you have to be careful on country roads near ditches - what is fine clearance for the bike may not be enough for a trailer when you are moving over to let someone pass, for example. It is also like towing a trailer on your car - you have to be aware of the extra length and not try and plan for that when pulling into traffic. A trailer also sits lower and can be missed by cars, even with a flag. A trailer seems more comfortable and you can load it up with food and toys :-) It does add more weight than a seat.

A seat is lighter, up high where it will not be missed and does not add length or width to the bike. It is not as comfortable looking, not shaded and will raise the center of gravity making a bike more prone to tipping (not horribly so, but a bit). A seat will also tip with the bike and has farther to go to hit the ground.

The seat we have is a Co-Pilot Limo. The sides come around the child, so even if the bike goes down they have something between them and the ground. Some other kinds don't have that feature. It also has a safety bar in front and foot straps. Basically, if you can fit a standard luggage rack on your bike, this will fit. DH had a little trouble getting it to fit with his new bike because it has disc brakes so it couldn't mount on the skewer. It makes the seat lean back a tiny bit, but that is all.

HTH!