PDA

View Full Version : Age 3 or 4 -- which is better for a wooden dollhouse?

Babywhite
07-12-2007, 02:43 PM
My friends and I had our girls' night out the other day, and we were discussing Christmas -- and our kids. I shared that I am planning to get DD (age 3) a Ryan's Room wooden dollhouse for Christmas. Several of the moms felt that I should wait until next year -- DD would be would 4. They said that they felt that most girls play with them more at 4 than at 3. What do you guys think?

TIA
RW

annasmom
07-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I got my dd the RR Home Again, Home Again dollhouse for her third birthday and she still has barely touched the thing (her fourth birthday is next month). So, I would say wait, jmo.

new_mommy25
07-12-2007, 05:06 PM
When I turned 6 my parents surprised me with a huge Oh! Jenny doll house. It was a mansion and had a swimming pool, barn, and tree house with a walkway and a bridge connecting it all. My parents didn't have a lot of money back then so it was a huge surprise and to this day I think it is the best present I ever got. I played with it for years.

Because of that memory I am not going to buy DD a big wooden doll house until she is older, about 4-5 years old. I think if I gave her one earlier she would like it but it wouldn't mean as much or be as special. Of course, I do love doll houses and can't wait that long so I'm planning to get DD the FP My First Doll house or the Loving Family doll house this Christmas. She will be about 19 months.

I do love the RR doll house. I want to get that or something similar for DD when the time is right.

bluestar2
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
we'll see about getting a dollhouse.

egoldber
07-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I would wait. My DD has really never played much with her wooden (Plan) dollhouse. She loves dolls and the furniture, but the house, not so much.

When I was looking at dollhouses, I went to a local store that specializes in dollhouses. The owner there advised me to wait until at least 5 for a "real" dollhouse and to just get her a cheap plastic one before that. I really wish I had listened to her.

Babywhite
07-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry...double post :)

Babywhite
07-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I remember reading your posts about your dollhouse search during my dollhouse research stage. :) I also remember that you got one of the FP Loving Family dollhouses before you came across a good deal on the Plan one. You have mentioned in other posts that you feel your DD plays/enjoys the FP LF dollhouse more -- and that it has more play value for the younger ages (2-5?). Could you expand on that... why/how, etc. I'm not opposed to getting a plastic one (we already have the Little People one -- but she has outgrown it) if DD will enjoy it more.

Thanks!!
RW

lisams
07-12-2007, 11:31 PM
DD is 4.5 and still has no interest in her wooden dollhouse. She does like to play with her Fisher Price Loving Family one that I found at a resale store. Not sure if it's her age or just her - she's not really into dolls that much. She'd rather be playing vet.

BeachBaby
07-13-2007, 09:46 AM
It could be the novelty of it, but we gave DD the Plan Toys Chalet dollhouse for her birthday on Wednesday and she has played with it non-stop. She takes the furniture out and rearranges it, puts the people on the potty, has one of the dolls push the baby in the stroller, etc. To my surprise, she even gives voices to the dolls and they have conversations.

So, IMO, it depends on your DD. Do any of your friends have one that she could sample? Based on the type of play my DD was doing with her Little People and Weebles, I thought she would enjoy a dollhouse.

HTH.
Megan

**Edited to add that DD turned 3 this year.

sarahsthreads
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I agree it must depend on the child, because my DD - who won't be three until October - is incredibly into doll houses. If we go anywhere with one I have to drag her away from it kicking and screaming. Well, not always literally, but usually she's protesting "But Mommy, the girl needs to finish going potty and then I have to tuck her in for a nap!"

She'll be getting a dollhouse for either her birthday or Christmas (leaning towards Christmas, but if it's for her birthday then it would be easy to suggest additional furniture or dolls to people when they ask what she wants for Christmas) and I'm confident it will get used more than any other toy we own.

Actually, I can type this right now because she's currently playing with a family of Calico Critter mice and several Little People in her Little People dollhouse. Last I checked the Daddy mouse was using the potty while the Mommy mouse was checking her email. Hmm. Think I use the computer too much? ;)

Sarah :)

katerinasmom
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
My DD just turned 3. Against my better judgment, she received a huge Barbie size dollhouse for her birthday from her godmother. To my surprise, she loves it and plays with it daily. It has an elevator and pool. She dresses and undresses her Barbies and poses them in various rooms in the house, puts them on the potty, seats them around the table, positions them on the sofa, bean bag chair and lounge chair to watch pretend tv, moves them up and down the elevator and even has had them skinny dipping together in the pool (a bit of a wierd site to come across as the mom but I was pleasantly surprised to see her enjoying the house to its fullest potential). I think she "learned" how to play with it and all it's parts when my 10 year old cousin (who is very into the whole Barbie thing) sat down with her and showed her how everything worked. Since then she's been able to play with it and enjoy it on her own on a regular basis. (Although she does often need assistance changing the clothes on the Barbie dolls - but that is not a problem with the doll house.)

Babywhite
07-13-2007, 10:45 AM
My friend is planning on getting her daughter a "Barbie" house for birthday/Christmas. She was wanting one with an elevator and pool attachment. Could you tell me the name or provide a link to yours. :)

Thanks

egoldber
07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I just think the layout is better on the FP dollhouse. The side access makes using the Plan house problematic unless it is in a very open area.

Also, I really dislike the dolls and accessories for the Plan house. The furniture is flimsy and chips easily. Several pieces have broken and re-broken. She found the dolls very frustrating to use since they don't really stand up well or position well. The wooden house is also quite big. You don't realize how big it is in a large store.

katerinasmom
07-13-2007, 09:53 PM
DD received this exact one for her birthday:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2309428&cp=&sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&origkw=doll+house&kw=doll+house&parentPage=search

I think it is only at Toys R Us and it is not "Barbie" brand specific but the Barbie dolls work best.