PDA

View Full Version : Kids Furniture made by Young America (Stanley Furniture Company)

niccig
07-14-2007, 04:08 PM
We were at a furniture store for something else, and noticed the children's furniture made by Young America, a trademark of Stanley Furniture Company. We liked the look of several pieces, the price at this local store was better than Pottery Barn Kids for something comparable. I think PBK is overpriced for what you get. Our cameron bookcases haven't worn well and DS is only 2.5 yo.

So, does anyone have any kids furniture from Young America or Stanley Furniture Company? Do you like it, is it worth the money?

TIA Nicci

firstbaby
07-14-2007, 10:02 PM
DS1's furniture for his big boy room is Young America and we love it. It is painted red and is so fun and versitile. We are very happy with the quality - dovetail drawers - and that the bed rails have a high and low setting so that the bed can truly grow with him. We got the full size bed - headboard / footboard, double dresser with mirror, armoir and nightstand. We were only planning to get him a bed, dresser and MAYBE a nightstand but the furniture store had all of the pieces bundled together at a steal - I think someone had ordered it and cancelled the order. So we got them together. I do feel that we can mix in a desk of either the same line or another line and it could be black, red, or stained wood.

FWIW, his bed is almost identical as a PBK bed and the PBK bed alone was over half of what we spent for all of those pieces. HTH.

mykidsmom
07-14-2007, 11:05 PM
We have a set from the Young America Contentment line. We have the sleigh bed, single dresser and nightstand. Where I live in So Cal, the Stanley customer service is horrible. The finish on our dresser and nightstand have rubbed off on the edge. They have replaced the tops twice and we just want a refund at this point and they refuse. They said they want another chance to replace the tops and then if the problem happens again they will replace it, but won't give us anything in writing. I know the company has been around forever and that is why we bought from them, but we are disappointed and wish we had not bought from them.

BaileyBea
07-14-2007, 11:32 PM
You sound like us nearly a year ago..

We went to PBK and looked at the furniture. Then we went to another store and saw the Young America furniture and bought on the spot. You get a more solid piece for the money! I love our pieces. Yes I think it's worth it. We are planning on getting DS a Bunk Bed soon and DD a Dresser. I think it's very high quality and a piece you should have for at least a few generations.

Nancy

annasmom
07-15-2007, 09:30 AM
We too have Stanley Young America for my dd. I think it is called Isabella? I really like it, it seems very sturdy. I bought the bed, nightstand, dresser, mirror and bookcase. Much better quality than the bedroom set I purchased for myself at the same time! (Broyhill)

I bought from a North Carolina retailer and I got a pretty goiod deal. I would definitely shop around - when I was looking there were two local stores that carried Stanley and their prices varied greatly.

However, buying from NC, I got everything listed above AND a mattress, and it was still less than the stores.

I am pretty positive that I will be purchasing Stanley again soon. We have to buy a bedroom set for ds#1, and will buy for ds#2 at the same time.

niccig
07-16-2007, 01:06 AM
That's worrying. We live in SoCal too. I hope this gets resolved for you. I'll take your experience into account before we purchase. We don't plan to moved DS into a big boy bed for a while, so I have time to look around.

ETA. Are you having difficulty with the store you bought the furniture from or with the Young America customer service? I wasn't sure from you OP with whom you were dealing with. Thanks.

niccig
07-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks everyone. We're just starting to look at bedroom furniture for DS. He's still in the crib, and we can transform that to a toddler bed. We were in a hurry the other day, so I need to look at the furniture in more detail, plus shop around at other stores/brands. I like what I saw, and some of their features like raising the height of the bed as DS gets older. But it is a concern about customer service issue of the PP, as we also live in SoCal. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as we get closer to purchasing something for DS.

DDowning
07-16-2007, 07:10 AM
I'm in SoCal too and also have the YA contentment furniture for my DD. I have the twin slat bed, single dresser, single drawer nightstand and arched mirror. I haven't had any issues like the PP though we had to modify the way the mirror rests on top of the dresser to make it more secure. Where are you in SoCal? We purchased our set at Bergstroms in Orange County - excellent prices!

niccig
07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
We're in Glendale. I saw the furniture at Feddes in Pasadena. If we decided to buy it, I'll look at different dealers to get the best price. At the moment we're just looking at a bed, possibly bunk with captain's drawers underneath - we liked the set-up and extra storage. I worry about DS climbing to the top bunk, even though he climbs like a monkey, but I could keep the top bunk unassembled in the garage until he's older.

mykidsmom
07-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Also bought at Bergstroms as they had the best prices by far. Our issue is with Stanley at this point. Bergstrom sales are FINAL. No exceptions so it would have to be Stanley to refund Bergstroms who would then refund us. They did help with getting it repaired and have been very helpful in dealing with the Stanley rep. I'm just frustrated that Stanley would not give their offer to replace if it happens again in writing. I basically have to go on their word which unfortunatly these days does not mean much!

MarisaSF
07-17-2007, 12:34 AM
DD has a bed and nightstand from the myHaven line. I love all the colors! http://youngamerica.stanleyfurniture.com/youngamerica/Goto.do?name=myHaven

I am impressed with the quality. That particular line took a long time to ship (10 weeks?) because of the colors.

hellokitty
07-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you mind if I ask which NC retailers you liked? I've wanted to try ordering furniture direct through NC, but have gotten overwhelmed with the # of retailers.