PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shampoo/conditioner

punkrockmama
07-16-2007, 08:35 PM
for a very sensitive kid who get a rashy/hive thing even from California Baby?

We use cetaphil all over and it's been good to us. But Peyton really needs some help. I haven't been able to bring myself to cut his hair and so it's loong. And he's also got my hair-curly. Layla's got the curl too, but hers isn't that out of control yet.

My poor son however, his 'do is lookin' rough, homeboy needs to tame that stuff!! So can you rec a shampoo/conditioner that is SUPER sensitive?

Thanks!

supercalifragilous
07-16-2007, 09:05 PM
We were using California Baby body wash & shampoo but switched over to Cetaphil. I heard the bar version has a different formulation and is milder than the liquid soap but have yet to try it out for ourselves. DD has really bad eczema on her legs.

For shampoo, we switched to Jason Kids Only Extra Gentle shampoo & conditioner and are really happy with it. It doesn't necessarily say it's for sensitive skin, but it's worked for us.

greatcanuk
07-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Hey, we use Cetaphil too!

I'm not sure this will help, but Huggies makes a tear-free shampoo, as well as a baby wash (that you can also use as shampoo). I really like this stuff--unfortunately I suspect it's being discontinued. I can't find it in drugstores any more, and I'll have to order it online now.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp165761_333181_sespider/huggies/shampoo_extra_sensitive_fragrance_free_hypoallerge nic.htm

Camille

Mamma2004
07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Ladies, do you all use the Cetaphil liquid in the white bottle with blue label? I use it on my face and wondered whether it might be safe for DS and his sensitive skin.

I have a friend whose DD just developed an aversion to the California Baby shampoo so I'll ask what she is using now.

Good luck - it's awful when everything seems to provoke a reaction!

Stephanie

greatcanuk
07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
That's the one we use. It's supposed to be good for babies and children as well.

NeyhaR
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
We used to use Cetaphil as shampoo too. Not the easiest thing since it doesn't suds, but our ped recommended it to clean the scalp... I don't know if it'll help tame long curly hair though. When DS's hair got longer and curlier, we switched to California Baby sensitive because I found sudsing was easier with a fidgety kid than trying to rub in cetaphil and making sure I got everything.

tiapam
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=83493&catid=11936&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=11936&trxp2=83493&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

I got this for DD and we like it but she does not have sensitive skin. It lathers up nicely.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

NatalieM
07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
My DD has extremely sensitive skin and we've tried so many different products. Someone here posted about Natures baby products so I decided to try it. Not one break out or irritation so we've been using it ever since. I've only purchased the shampoo, but they sent me samples of conditioner and lotion as well. The vanilla tangerine smells amazing! It's a bit pricey but it lasts forever. HTH

purpleeyes
07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
How about Burt's Bees-would that not be senstive enough? DS is good with cali. baby, tho, so your guy may have more sensitive skin then him. BB now has a no tears shampoo/body wash that we really love. Way better then the shampoo bar which was awful when it got in his eyes! Plus I love that I can just soap up his whole body and hair on days I am really tired! :)

Good luck!

Beth

punkrockmama
07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys. When Peyton was first born I went with the ol' J&J, he immediately had a rash on his neck. So then I tried Aveeno baby and his cheecks got all red and weird. Then I tried the liquid Cetaphil and tada! We've been using for face/body/hair ever since. I use it on Layla too. But his hair is just getting ridiculous. You should see him in the morning,lol. He needs a shampoo or atleast just a conditioner.

So I tried CAB two weeks ago and he broke out in hives on his face and a rash on his back. I hope he outgrows being so sensitive to everything.

The Natures Baby sounds good, I'd like to try it. Can I just get it at Target? I'll have to poke around. I wondered about Burt's myself. I should try. I was thinking that if California does him in than this might to, but who knows? :)

Thanks again all! I appreciate it. :)

Tondi G
07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I think you get Natures Baby at Whole Foods!

The other option would be to give him a hair cut!

punkrockmama
07-20-2007, 05:37 AM
>I think you get Natures Baby at Whole Foods!

Oh, thank you!

>The other option would be to give him a hair cut!

I'm sorry. I don't quite understand this sentence. ;) LOl

Yeah, I think it just may be time for me to break down and give him a trim before school starts. When it's wet it goes half way down his back. But when it's dry it totally curls up around his neck. I love it. I ask him if he wants a haircut and he says no, he likes his curly hair like mommie(I may or may not have anything to do with this ;))....I think the next time his dad goes I'll have him take him so he can see what the deal is. But I still wouldn't go full on little man 'do, JUST a trim. :)

Thanks!

NatalieM
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't have a WF by me so I had to order online. Here's their web site, just so you can take a peek at it.

http://www.naturesbabyproducts.com/product.html

WooChx
07-21-2007, 06:38 AM
We use Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner made by Trader Joe's. They are very gentle, all natural, no SLS or Pro-B (both are irritants) and only $2.50 each!

new_mommy25
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
How about continuing the Cetaphil and then using a detangler for the curlies? We use Circle of Friends but it is scented. Not sure if that would work for your DS. http://tinyurl.com/26ygna

They also came out with a new line for sensitive kids.
http://tinyurl.com/2db7fa

miki
07-22-2007, 12:39 PM
This is my suggestion, too. I just use a spray-on leave-in conditioner on DD after her bath while her hair is still wet. Just aim it at hair only to avoid getting it on the rest of the body. We use one made by Jason Naturals. I know for sure you can get at at Whole Foods.

Marisa6826
07-22-2007, 11:48 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of this stuff!! I've noticed lately, though, that the girls' hair is a little flyaway since using it. I'm going to try a little spray leave-in conditioner next bath to see if that helps.

Target used to carry it, but no more, so stock up on drugstore.com. :)

-m

punkrockmama
07-24-2007, 05:06 AM
Alright Angie, that stuff looks so cute. :) I think I'll try both lines because I looked at that site and wanted all of it. :)

inmypjs
07-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi, I would just suggest that you try to find something that is completely free of fragrances and known irritants. I'm not an ingredient expert or anything, but I do really like Paula Begoun, www.cosmeticscop.com. She talks about this stuff all the time and how most hair and skin products have fragrance and potential irritants in them. Anyway, in her line she sells a fragrance and irritant free hair and body shampoo:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC500&PAGETYPE=S

Of course, with any product there's always a remote chance that someone could react to what's in it, but at least with her stuff you've got a better chance! I think a good shampoo is the way to go, then some sort of styling product or conditioner to tame curls. Because a shampoo's job is to clean, and taming is really the job of the other stuff, ya know? I know Cetaphil is gentle, but I've never been a fan because I don't think it rinses away well.

That's just my 2 cents!

punkrockmama
07-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks Katie. I looked at that site and there's an option to buy sample sizes which is cool. I'll try those too. :)

Bean606
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Have you tried Little Twig? They use organic stuff in their products.