PDA

View Full Version : Another kitchen question

beckych
07-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi! I am planning on getting my 2 year old DD a kitchen set for her birthday (which was Sunday---I am a little behind! haha).

I am not opposed to the plastic ones that Step 2 or Little Tikes makes. I don't really want to spend the money for a PBK one, but I am interested to hear what others have to say about other non-plastic ones.

Why did you get the one you got? Are you (and even more importantly your kids) happy with it?

Also, does anyone know good websites (in other words---where can I get a good deal? :-) ) for this kind of thing?

Thank you so much for any replies!!

Becky

dules
07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
We gave my DD the Small World Toys one that Katia linked to in the other kitchen thread on this page - the taller one. We are happy with it; I liked that DD could reach the back/fawcet etc. because it's a little narrow, but that it's also tall so had some "growing room".

I don't remember anymore which website we ordered from, but I know Kidsurplus had it and I think Creative Brains did too. I've had good experiences with both of those vendors.

We got it on clearance in July-August, and paid around $225 or so for the sink/stove and fridge, including shipping. I love the pink PBK set, and the Willow Tree Toys sets, but could not beat that price.

Have fun shopping! We, er, DD, uses our kitchen every day now, almost 2 years later.

Mary

kcimato
07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I was all set to get my 2 year old grandson the kitchen from Target, when I came across the Small Wonders one at a local toy store. They were having a huge clearance sale and I got the fridge for $50 and then the stove and sink combination for $70. Couldn't pass it up for that price. I also like the fact that it is taller and he can use it for a good while. Seems to be well made It's all wood. DH and Sil put it together pretty quickly too.

icunurse
07-17-2007, 10:33 PM
We have the one from Learning Express.
http://www.learningexpress.com/childrens_toys/partNumber_KDKLEKITCHEN/proj.html
I'm surprised that DS still plays with it every day. It is very sturdy and a nice size, not too big, not too small. We're happy with it. :)
DS - 2004
DD - 2007

katerinasmom
07-18-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't really have any recommendations for you but I did want to share my experience with regard to your question whether my DD is happy with the kitchen she has.
When DD was 1 1/2, my in-laws bought her the kitchen advertised on ebay below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Price-Collapse-and-Fold-Play-Kitchen-Loaded-RARE_W0QQitemZ120142569886QQihZ002QQcategoryZ374QQ cmdZViewItem
In case the link doesn't work, it is a Fisher Price collapse and fold play kitchen. It would not have been my first choice. It is what I would call "rinky-dinky" compared to the plethora of play kitchens available. However, my in-laws bought it for her and keep it at their house (to which she goes everyday while I am at work). (We do not have another kitchen at our house.) She loves this kitchen. She has played with other kitchens at friends' houses - much more elaborate and expensive kitchens, both plastic and wooden. And she has not once seemed to care what kind of kitchen she was playing with. She just wanted to play and enjoyed the kitchen, whichever one, more only if someone was playing with her. She continues to play with the little plastic folding kitchen my in-laws got her (she is now 3) on a daily basis both by herself and with a couple of her friends whom she also sees 3-4 times a week and who are 3, 5 and 6 years old. None of them has ever remarked about the kind of kitchen they are playing with. So ultimately, from the child's point of view at 2 years old I don't think they really care about whether it is plastic or wooden, Pottery Barn, Fisher Price or Dora the Explorer.