PDA

View Full Version : OT: Professional closet design companies?

s7714
07-18-2007, 11:17 PM
We need to redo our big walk in pantry because the shelving the builder installed isn't doing much for us. I've been looking into the do it yourself systems, but am tempted to see what some of the professional closet design companies could come up with. Has anyone used one of those companies (like California Closets, etc.)?

I'm curious if they are really pushy when it comes to sales. Most of them say they have "free in-home consultations" which sounds great in theory, but I don't want to end up with pushy salespeople calling me at all hours trying to get me to commit!

TIA for any opinions!
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

gatorruth
07-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I used to work PT for the Container Store. They sell a product called Elfa. It is the best-- SO easy to install and SO easy to change. They have a sale that starts the day after christmas, but if you call a store, they may tell you that there are other sales. Also, their website has a closet planning guide. Take a few measurements, weed thru your clothes and they can plan something for you for free...

I love Elfa so much that I've moved 3 times since working there and I take our elfa with us on each move!!

Ruth

DDowning
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Jennifer - We've used both California Closets and Elfa like the PP suggested in a previous homes/current homes. In the condo we owned, the builder installed clothing rack in our walk-in closet was a joke and we replaced with Elfa. It is rock solid, high quality but it took several hours to install. If you have the time and patience - and a good drill, go for it!

In our last house, we first used California closets for our two master closets. The sales consultant that came out was fabulous. He brought a measuring guide that helped with layouts. They give you approximate space measurements needed for things like shirts, dresses, pants, coats, shoes. They do have a wide variety of accessories, like jewelry drawers, belt racks, wardrobe rods, etc. Those can add up but they do make your closet much more functional. There was no pressure to purchase everything and they worked within our budget. Once we decided on everything, we had it installed within 3 weeks afterwards. Installation was very quick, the guys knew what they were doing.

In our current house, we were able to use the same consultant for all closets plus our kitchen pantry. Our pantry was small and an odd angle but the consultant was able to make it very practical for our purposes. We added drawers of various sizes, slotted cabinets for platters, cookbooks, and pull out baskets for cleaning supplies, table clothes, miscellaneous, etc. A rack on the wall behind the door holds things like brooms, mops, swiffers, etc. We were pretty pleased and the price for this particular pantry/closet wasn't bad.

HTH!

s7714
07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the Elfa stuff.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

s7714
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Deidra,

What kind of materials does CA Closets use for pantries? Is it the standard white wire shelving or is it wood shelves/cabinets? Or do they combine both?

TIA,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

caheinz
07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Elfa fans here!

We did a small pantry with Elfa last year. Previous owners had four shelves on each side, maybe 4 or 6 inch shelves. DH could barely walk in. (This is under half the stairs, so it's a very odd shape.)

The Container Store designed the space for me with deeper shelves on only one side, plus some cool basket-like shelves for the short wall. I got at least 50% more stuff in there, and it looks tons better, too!

And it may have taken a couple of hours only because I insisted on painting the walls first! I actually didn't have any problems getting the shelves up by myself, and we did every closet in the house! (Every Feb, the Container Store puts the entire Elfa line on sale -- we did half the closets in 2006, and the rest this year!)

DebbieJ
07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I noticed that Costco (at least here in IL) contracts with CA Closets. I would check there and see if you can get better pricing. It's one of their special services as you walk out.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg