PDA

View Full Version : Train table for 2-yo? A starter set?

sethsmom
07-19-2007, 07:21 PM
My son has fallen in love with the "two-two" in the waiting room of our doctor's office. That's all he has talked about for the past two days. His second birthday is in October and I thought that might make a good "big gift" to give him, but is he too young? Is there some sort of starter set we could/should buy to see if he likes it that would be expandable later? I don't want to spend a fortune on something he's not going to like, or on something that we will have to get rid of to make room for a "real" one later on. I know you ladies are the ones to ask.

BTW, my FIL is a carpenter and could make a table of some sort if we needed him to, but I wouldn't even know how to describe one to him because I don't know what we need.

kaitlinsmommy
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
If your FIL can make you a table, I would just look at the measurements at the PBK train table or Nilo table & ask him to make something simple like that. It would be a good investment because it could be used for other play too (dollhouse, cars).

We started with the Thomas water tower figure 8 set & have been adding on. I think the Down by the Docks set is really cool and would be a good starter set. It has some fun stuff on it & is only $112 now at www.trainsgalore.com. Have fun!

hillview
07-20-2007, 07:00 PM
DS just turned 2 this month. We got him a small Brio train set about 6 weeks before his bday which he ADORED (it was about $30) to see if it was something that he'd like. For his bday we splurged and got a Nilo table (about $160) and Melissa and Doug Train Set (about $89) he LOVES it -- we have to put the train to bed (cover with sheet) at nap time and bedtime or else it is choo choo all night/naptime. He plays with it for at least an hour a day.

We got the Nilo table b/c it is more then just for trains (mom rational) and you can put taller legs on it -- you can do puzzles and lego/duplos on it with lego mats that you can purchase. We are very happy with the Nilo table so far.

HTH
/hillary

mariza
07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Target has a train table on clearance (at least in the 2 stores I saw) for about $60.