PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog Little Touch Leap pad....

denna
07-31-2007, 01:51 AM
Do you like your Leapfrog Little Touch Leap Pad? I am considering getting one for DS for some upcoming traveling we are doing, but first I wanted to make sure the toy was well reviewed and liked by parents and kids. Is it a noisy toy? (Planning on using it on a plane.) What do you like/dislike about it?

Thanks for the input!

o_mom
07-31-2007, 06:17 AM
It's OK. Ours was a hand-me-down and I have bought a few extra books when I find it on clearance. At his age, it will not be an independent toy, but on an airplane you will be right there anyway. DS1 was over 3 before he could turn the pages and push the right button to make it work. Granted, we never use it except on long trips so he didn't practice that much. I don't know that I would have bought it myself, but we try avoid electronic stuff. It does have a volume control, but not headphones as the bigger leap pads do.

mom2aidan
07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
My DS who's 3 years old loves it! It keeps him occupied for hours.

bubbaray
07-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Not a hit here. I wouldn't take it on a plane, too bulky and I'd wonder if it could be heard on a plane about the ambient noise. I'd take a couple of lightweight paperback kids books, one's your DS hasn't seen before.

HTH
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

MMMommy
07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Not a hit with either of my kids. They lost interest in it real fast. I never bothered to invest in more cartridges b/c of their lack of interest.

hellokitty
07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
No, not a hit here either. I think the design of the product was really stupid. They put the on/off switch at a place where your toddler is constantly wanting to touch it. The you have to push REALLY hard on the pages to get things to work. We haven't used ours for quite a long time. Now that my oldest son is 3.5, I may pull it out and see if he might be more interested in it. I think the concept would have been better for preschoolers, not toddlers. Also, I noticed that some of the pages on the books smell really toxic. That really bothered me. I'm glad that I got ours on clearance. If you really want one, I suggest buying one secondhand. I have seen them at goodwill for only $1.50!

KrystalS
07-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Didn't work for us either. DD got this toy when she was about 10 months. I definitely don't think they thought out the age range of this toy. I realize that at a younger age its meant to the parent to use with the child, but it just isn't an engaging toy for a child of that age. DD is now 3.5 and she still has trouble getting the different pages to work. I don't think it was a well designed toy at all. DD got it as a christmas gift, so we weren't out any money, but I definitely wouldn't have paid for it myself.

shburks
07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
We have one that ds got at 14 months and he couldn't do it for a while. It's possible that your dc will be able to do it. The biggest drawback I would find to travelling with it is that it is a bit bulky for the plane. I think there are other options for travel that might be better than this one.

For this product, I think the manufacturer suggested age is way off.

jerigirl
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree with all the posts. my son was given one for his first bday a month ago and he just wants to turn the pages and push the volume button. He doesn't really have any interest in sitting and listening to the stories. I also think that it is too bulky to pack and keep up with the cartridges and book inserts on the plane. I would skip it for the trip. As previously mentioned the recommended age is WAY off.