PDA

View Full Version : ISO Goggles or nose plug for a 2 yo

smzapalac
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
My DD has been taking swim lessons for weeks and the teachers have determined my DD has a 'startle reflex.' Basically, she sucks the pool water in through her nose and chokes each time she goes underwater. They suggested getting a nose plug or goggles that plug the nose, to try and get her used to the sensation of plugging your nose under water. I have NO idea where to get little goggles or nose plugs that she will actually wear. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

kellyotn
07-31-2007, 09:53 PM
My Target has a whole isle of goggles, ear plugs and other toddler swim gear. I can't recall seeing nose plugs though.

I got my daughter a pair of goggles that is for ages 3-6, I'm not sure if there were smaller sizes than that.

lilycat88
07-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok...totally unsolicited opinion here. So, take it or toss it.

Don't do nose plugs. No swimming teacher I've ever known would make that suggestion. I've been teaching swimming for over 20 years and my worst nightmare as a swimming teacher was to see a child come at me with nose plugs. If your DD is only 2 and sucks in water when she goes under, take a break on the going under thing and work on ways to teach your DD to blow out. There are so many fun games and activities to help learn that skill. Usually, having my 2-3 year olds "hum" a song to the fish at the bottom of the pool did the trick for me. If she has nose plugs, she isn't learning how to keep water out of her nose, she's learning how to plug it. She is likely to become dependent on the artificial plug and have a devil of a time getting rid of it. If she is able to get rid of the noseplug, chances are she'll try to replace it with her fingers and if she doesn't know how to keep water out of her nose without using her hands, she's not going to be able to learn any strokes properly as she get older. There is nothing more frustrating than a 5 year old who loves the water but can't/won't actually "swim" using real strokes because one hand is always on her nose.

I will step down off my soapbox now and say that as an instructor, I've never seen kids come in with goggles that fit reliably well until they are 4-5. I don't know anything about nose plugs.

Kyras mom
08-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi.

My DD is 3 1/2 yo and is taking swim lessons now. The first goggles we bought were child-sized but too large so they were not water tight. Then we bought "Lane 4" brand goggles that were recommended by the swim instructor. She said that they are the best fitting goggles for small children. The swim school sold us a pair but we saw them for sale online.

In the beginning, our daughter was covering her mouth/nose with her hands, but the instructor encouraged her to not do that and now she does fine.

Good luck!

smzapalac
08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
I appreciate your expert oppinion. I was a little worried when they suggested that, as I don't think that is really teaching a child to plug their nose/mouth. However, as a mom, I hate seeing my DD choke from the water and get frustrated. I think I am going to have them back off from the underwater work this week and see if we can do something, like the humming you suggest, to get her to plug her nose/mouth. I saw goggles at Target and they were just too big for my DD. I think they would do more harm than good. I just don't want her to develope a fear of the water. Thanks again for your opinion.