PDA

View Full Version : Leapster vs. L-Max

supercalifragilous
08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
What's the difference? They both look extremely similar from the outside, but there's $30 difference! Can someone explain why?

punrocker
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
The main difference is that you can hook the L-Max up to a TV and play the games, although the resolution isn't all that great on the TV.

supercalifragilous
08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for explaining that! Do you think it's worth the extra $30? That's the price of a game, almost!

Tondi G
08-02-2007, 09:09 PM
If we didn't already have the leapster when the L-max came out we'd probably opt to spend the bit more for the Lmax!

That said we love the regular leapster but I bet DS would get a kick out of being able to see it on the tv screen sometimes!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

punrocker
08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
We don't actually own a Leapster yet, but one of my brothers works for a company that designs games for Leapfrog, so I've tried out the L-Max. My brother says that some games don't play very well on a TV (something to do with the coding and the unit's memory), but he's a hardcore gamer. I don't think a young child will notice the difference!

I'm considering the regular Leapster for DS's 4th birthday (as a gift from family). Even though I have 3 video game systems, I don't want DS to correlate the TV with play just yet (and develop the family video game addiction). So, for us, the L-Max doesn't seem worth the additional $30. There are a lot of positive reviews for the L-Max on Amazon, though!

JBaxter
08-03-2007, 06:59 AM
We have the L-Max and Nathan doesnt like it on the regular TV. Its grainy then of course he is used to seeing his brother play the XBox 360 on a HDTV He kept telling us to fix it ( meaning the picture LOL) We love it as a hand held game.

ajmom
08-03-2007, 06:13 PM
We have the Leapster and DS1 loves it. I don't think we would ever hook it up to the TV anyway, so we are very happy with the less expensive version.

supercalifragilous
08-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've been on vacation and away from a computer. I just noticed the Leapster (not L-Max) @ Costco while I was on vacation and just noticed the other thread http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=62973&mode=full&page=

The set that Java posted (Leapster, wallet, screen cover, I Spy & Animal Genius games) for $80 is the same one I saw. I think for the price ($10 less than the L-Max alone) is worth it. Thanks for all the input!

momofjandl
08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
We have the Lmax and my son loves the tv use just as much, but usually uses it as a handheld.

Noone posted this so I'm not sure if it's true, but it's my understanding that the LMax games have one or two extra games that will only play on the LMax and not the regular leapster. I don't know if that's the case as we have the Lmax and not the other one.

Ruth

schums
08-11-2007, 11:56 PM
This is true for the cartridges labeled L-max. The cartridges will still work on a regular Leapster, but you don't get the "bonus" games.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)