PDA

View Full Version : Baby Einstein - Bunch of Junk?

Sillygirl
08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Never watched them myself - we were of the "no TV until age 2" camp, and even now we are very selective in what Jonathan watches. I'm just linking the article because I think the marketing of the Baby Einstein line is very pushy and the videos seem very expensive. So I'm happy to see reports that they don't do what they claim they do.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html?cnn=yes

MartiesMom2B
08-07-2007, 02:58 PM
My four year old watched those videos and she was always ahead verbally. It was a way for me to take a shower and for my husband and I to eat dinner without having to hold her. I don't claim that the videos made her smart, I think that comes from genetics.

-Sonia
Mommy to the M&M girls

gatorsmom
08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I have several of them but I never believed they would turn my kids into geniuses. I wouldn't say they are total junk, though, because my kids have really learned to enjoy classical music from them and they recognize the classical pieces when they hear them in other places- not something they would have learned from DH or me.

Also, unlike most other kids' shows, they are very calming. There is nothing objectionable to them. And frankly, they are just about the best babysitters when I want to take a shower or have to get something done without the kids' help. ;)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Marisa6826
08-07-2007, 05:54 PM
We've gotten every penny's worth out of the set we have. Even now, with Sophie almost 5yo, she still asks to watch them.

Maybe borrow (or rent from Netflix) a couple to see if Jonathan would dig them?

They were our saving grace for a long time. It's just enough time to make dinner, or take a shower. Sophie used to wake up super early and ask to watch 'her show' on the laptop in her room. We'd put it on the bookcase near her crib, and she'd be happy as a clam, and usually fall asleep to it. Gotta love that auto repeat! ;)

-m

buddyleebaby
08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
The way these videos are marketed can at times make it seem as though you are doing your child a disservice by not allowing them to watch.

I have seen many well-intentioned parents use these not because they needed a half hour break, but because they felt it was the only way to teach their child. In reality, there is nothing on these videos that you can not do at home, through interaction with your child.

TracyBee
08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
It's all about balance. If you put your child in front of any tv show for 2-3 hours a day, they're going to be behind developmentally.

My DD did and still does at 4 enjoy the Baby Einstein shows. She started talking at 10 months so no harm done to her.

coachkath
08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a couple for my DD. The only time she watches them is when she is over-tired or sick and we needed something to calm her down. When I was first pregnant/had DD I thought these would be incredible videos, but honestly, I don't know what the big deal is. I don't think there is anything special about them at all. The music is nice though.
We got a free trial DVD of "HBOs Classical Baby", which has beautiful animation along with classical music and I like that better.

Since I discovered "Your Baby Can Read" (through Usborne Books) and had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Robert Titzer speak about this product (he created them and has done extensive research on child language development), I have had my daughter watch these videos every day for the last month and 1/2 and have seen a huge improvement in her language and knowledge (and yes, at 19 months LEARNING to read). I would recommend doing research on "Your Baby Can Read", (I can hear the sceptics - and I was one) and seeing how those work instead of Baby Einstein.
Email me if you have any questions.
Kathy
mama to Kelly, 19 months

DrSally
08-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I think they're basically like a "video board book", baby friendly images set to music. It' not as frenetic as some shows, but it's still tv. I didn't let DS watch any tv the first year, and then let him watch some in the morning so I can get something to eat and check my email. Like, pp, everything in moderation. I do not think they should be marketed as being "good" for baby.

luvsviola
08-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I was given the orchestra BE dvd and was annoyed that the kids aren't really playing the instruments and sometimes the sound is synthesized. There are enough good music programs for kids in this country--for that much money, they should have child virtuosos playing. There were so many places they could have improved the dvd but chose to cut costs. For $20, I will never buy another one.

Instead, DD loves Barney, especially the kids and the singing. She's 6 months and maybe watches it once a week, usually at my mom's who has it "On Demand" on digital cable. As annoying as it is, she gets so excited when you put it on that it is worth it. And if that wasn't on, my mom would have Oprah or Dr. Phil or something else anyway. At least its baby friendly.

kransden
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
My dd had no interest in them at all. My friend's child fussed up a storm if the video went off and wasn't rewound. Guess what? We both have normal kids. I just didn't get as many showers as my friend did! ;)

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

tina-t
08-08-2007, 03:43 PM
LOL! It sure helped me get some dinner done or get a shower too.

Ds loved the Baby Einstein dvd's. But dd could not care less. However, dd loves the Baby Signing Time dvd and would sign baby and walk over to the tv to let me know that it's time to put it on, :) She started signing at 10 mos.

citymama
08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Skip the DVDs and use the cash to buy your kid some more books!!!

My DD has never watched these since we're also of the no-TV-till-2 camp (but don't get me wrong, I completely relate with parents who need the extra half-hour to shower!). But I'm opposed to the heavy marketing of these DVDs and the perception that these might serve as substitutes for reading, talking or singing to your kids.

michellep
08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
The problem I have with that article is that it only considers language development when considering whether these children are "getting smarter" or not. I think we all know that kids will slow down a bit in one area as they pick up other skills. Perhaps children watching Baby Einstein are developing logic skills or who knows what faster then children not watching. Didn't Einstein himself not speak until he was 3?

-M

michellep
08-09-2007, 06:32 PM
sorry, dup post

sweetpea
08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
The videos scared the bejeezus out of my dd. They were a shower gift - I tried them out when dd was about 9mo but she was too freaked out by the weirdness and fast moving close ups.

I think it's a marketing genius who came up with the name though, lol.

randomkid
08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't think they are junk - they are what you make them. If you watch the creator, Julie Aigner-Clark, talk about the products on the DVD, she intends for them to be interactive. She encourages parents to sit down with their children and be a part of the viewing. Of course, kids aren't going to learn much just by watching, but can learn a ton if you are involved. Besides the videos, there are books, cards, puppets, etc. There is so much focus on the DVDs, but there is a lot more to the product.

DD has watched these DVDs for a long time now, but I have always sat down with her and talked about what is in the video. Now when she watches, SHE talks through the whole thing about what it is, the color, the shape, etc. Long before she ever saw these things IRL (and some she still hasn't), she knew what they were. She knows what a dolphin is and that it swims in water in the ocean and that it can jump out of the water. We would tell her different things about whatever was on the screen when she would watch the video again - for example, we'd tell her what it is, then talk about colors or shapes or where an animal lives. She knows what a farm is even though she has never seen one.

Personally, I think they can be very enriching to a child, but you can't just plop them down in front of the TV and leave them there without any interaction from you. They will never learn that way, but with your instruction, I think it opens up a whole new world to them. DD learned so many words that I would not have thought to teach her on my own. Things that you don't encounter in everyday life and that are not in her many books.

I'm quite proud of the creator of Baby Einstein. She was just a mom who used to be a teacher. If you read a little about her, you may find that she is a very smart woman who has encountered unexpected success. Here's a brief interview with her which also discusses some of the things she has done since Baby Einstein. http://www.ladieswholaunch.com/featuredlady.cfm/featureid/111

Disney is the marketing culprit. When the product became more than she could handle, she was brilliant and sold to Disney. Now, she has way more money than a school teacher and has something to be very proud of. I think if her products are used the way she intended, they can be a great adjunct to learning.