PDA

View Full Version : China toy compant cheif commits suicide!

daisymommy
08-13-2007, 07:05 AM
This is really sad. The cheif behind the toy company that makes all the toys that have been recalled recently committed suicide this weekend. Apparently his best friend sold him the fake paint which contained lead.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20240769/

Dcclerk
08-13-2007, 11:31 AM
That is really sad. Whether he was duped or just made a catastrophic mistake, it breaks my heart to hear about others who believe they have nothing else to live for.

momofjandl
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree that this is extremely sad.

While the US companies have issued recalls, I wish they would take more responsibility for their products. I have no problem with prodcuts made in other countries (it helps to support that specific country). However, US companies do so b/c it is so much cheaper. They need to have more quality control in place.

I feel for this man and his family. He must have been in an extrememly stressful situation with this recall. I'm sure there were pressures coming from all sides.

All of this over toys. Makes me kind of think a little.

Ruth

tzipora
08-13-2007, 10:46 PM
It is really sad, and I feel terrible for him and his family. I have no idea if the poor man committed suicide because of the disgrace, the monetary loss to the company, or because he was profoundly distressed over the potential harm his company had caused. But I have to disagree with one earlier comment - this isn't all because of a few toys; it's because of a toxic substance that was used illegally and can do great harm. And whatever it was used in, it would have been a problem, but using it in a product made specifically for children reallly is kind of horrific. There should be fallout from that. (I mean tighter controls and more vigilance, definitely not that people should feel compelled to take their own lives.)

Also, did anyone else see the line about Mattel getting ready to announce another recall in the next day or so? Yikes.

ajmom
08-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I read in one AP article that committing suicide is common practice for business owners whose companies are disgraced. That certainly doesn't make it any less tragic, but it certainly gives it a different cultural dimension.

momofjandl
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Sandra,

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with what I posted in my above comments last line about this being all b/c of toys. If so, then I just wanted to correct what I was saying b/c I fear you may have misunderstood my point.

Of course lead paint is a serious issue. I'm certainly not disputing that. I'm just extememly disgusted that toy companies charge outrageous amounts for toys, manufacture them overseas to save huge amounts of money, and clearly don't have a lot of quality control for something like this to be able to happen.

Certainly there should be accountability, but it should be on all sides, not just the manufacturer, paint supplier, etc. but also Mattel and others for getting themselves into this mess, again most likely to save money to make more money.

My point is that someone took his life for whatever reason. Noone will ever know. But what it boils down to is the toy industry and making money. So while this is a huge scary issue. In my opinion it really is over toys. That we as Americans fuel the need for and pay top dollar for.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. We have our fair share of toys here. But I'm seiously rethinking how many my children need. From a safety standpoint, from an environmental standpoint (all that plastic has to go somewhere someday), and for many other reasons as well.

I'm certainly not trying to take away from the fact that this is a serious issue, the lead paint. And the fact that someone took his life regardless of why or whether it is the social norm in his country. And regardless of whether it is his fault or he knew about it. (Which would be horrible if he did, but still.) It just makes me very sad. And when I look at my children's toys it will certainly give me pause.

Ruth

momofjandl
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Sandra,

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with what I posted in my above comments last line about this being all b/c of toys. If so, then I just wanted to correct what I was saying b/c I fear you may have misunderstood my point.

Of course lead paint is a serious issue. I'm certainly not disputing that. I'm just extememly disgusted that toy companies charge outrageous amounts for toys, manufacture them overseas to save huge amounts of money, and clearly don't have a lot of quality control for something like this to be able to happen.

Certainly there should be accountability, but it should be on all sides, not just the manufacturer, paint supplier, etc. but also Mattel and others for getting themselves into this mess, again most likely to save money to make more money.

My point is that someone took his life for whatever reason. Noone will ever know. But what it boils down to is the toy industry and making money. So while this is a huge scary issue. In my opinion it really is over toys. That we as Americans fuel the need for and pay top dollar for.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. We have our fair share of toys here. But I'm seiously rethinking how many my children need. From a safety standpoint, from an environmental standpoint (all that plastic has to go somewhere someday), and for many other reasons as well.

I'm certainly not trying to take away from the fact that this is a serious issue, the lead paint. And the fact that someone took his life regardless of why or whether it is the social norm in his country. And regardless of whether it is his fault or he knew about it. (Which would be horrible if he did, but still.) It just makes me very sad. And when I look at my children's toys it will certainly give me pause.

Ruth

VClute
08-16-2007, 11:28 AM
It *is* silly that all this started with Americans' need for MORE. (But I have to disagree with the "top dollar" part - we want more, and cheaply, too.) It is RIDICULOUS the amount of toys the modern child has. It is RIDICULOUS that we need an entire room to house them! (Playrooms, anyone?) It is RIDICULOUS that we buy so much, never mind if it's second-hand, or on super clearance on Amazon. We don't need it.

Now, I do my share of consuming, but I'm really trying to throttle back. I seriously doubt, though, that most Americans will view this toy recall crisis as a lesson to be learned about consumerism.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07

momofjandl
08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks Amy! I know as a child we did not have very many toys. And sure, toys were made back then. But my parents found other ways to amuse us. Everyone has to choose what is right for their family. We have a lot of toys, not as much as I know some have, but we still have a lot. And it disgusts me that my kids tell me they have nothing to do/play with.

I agee that WE want things cheap. However, these companies are charging and getting top dollar. That's what I meant. They have things made in China b/c it's cheaper to do so, but they don't reflect that in the price. If you had any idea what it costs to make things..anywhere from toys, to jeans, to shoes, you'd be amazed. Why do you think we're able to get these "great deals" at Target or Amazon? Rest assured those companies are still making money. And probably laughing at us for thinking we got a "deal". :)

Ruth