PDA

View Full Version : Where do your read bedtime stories?

veronica
08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
DD is 20 months and still in her crib but we are using our nursing chair for out newborn. So-we are torn with where to read her bedtime stories. Seems silly to read in the living room or elswhere and then carry her to her crib (she is still in her sleepsack). So-parents of two-how did you work this out?

kristenk
08-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm not a parent of two, but I can tell you where we read stories. :)

We started out reading her bedtime story in the rocker. When the rocker was moved out of her room, a twin bed was moved in. DD still slept in her crib. Instead of reading stories, we'd make up stories and tell her a story with the lights out while she was in her crib and DH and I were on the twin bed.

She currently sleeps in her converted-to-toddler-bed crib. The twin bed is still in the room. DD started requesting actual story books again. The night's reader will sit on the floor next to her bed with a flashlight and read the book so she can see the pictures.

janeybwild
08-15-2007, 09:46 AM
When CJ was born, we moved our glider into his room, and a more uncomfortable chair into Dana's room (she's still in her crib). We read stories either sitting in the chair together, her standing next to the chair in her sleepsack, or on her big girl bed before transferring to the crib. Megan's bedtime stories are in her bed. If you don't have another chair that would work, you could pick up an inexpensive rocking chair on Craigslist, at a thrift store, or even free on freecycle. HTH.

janeybwild
08-15-2007, 09:46 AM
When CJ was born, we moved our glider into his room, and a more uncomfortable chair into Dana's room (she's still in her crib). We read stories either sitting in the chair together, her standing next to the chair in her sleepsack, or on her big girl bed before transferring to the crib. Megan's bedtime stories are in her bed. If you don't have another chair that would work, you could pick up an inexpensive rocking chair on Craigslist, at a thrift store, or even free on freecycle. HTH.

gatorsmom
08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
We started out in the rocker too. But when DS2 was born we moved DS1 to a toddler bed in a different room. When DS2 started crawling, we just let him crawl around us as we read books to our older one. Since we were either changing into pjs, or picking up toys we were on the floor anyway and so that's where we started reading books. We read them on the floor of our older son's room.

Gradually our crawling baby found that he was interested in seeing the pictures in the books so he would crawl over and look at the book for a second or two. Now that he's walking, he takes his place on one side of the story teller with our older son on the otherside. We all sit on the floor and this just works great. The book shelf is also close to the floor at their level so we ask them to pick out the books they want to read and bring them to us. After story time, older son climbs in his bed and I take the youngest to his room where we rock in the rocker for a couple of minutes before he goes in his crib.

I assume this will be the routine when the twins are born too.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

gatorsmom
08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
We started out in the rocker too. But when DS2 was born we moved DS1 to a toddler bed in a different room. When DS2 started crawling, we just let him crawl around us as we read books to our older one. Since we were either changing into pjs, or picking up toys we were on the floor anyway and so that's where we started reading books. We read them on the floor of our older son's room.

Gradually our crawling baby found that he was interested in seeing the pictures in the books so he would crawl over and look at the book for a second or two. Now that he's walking, he takes his place on one side of the story teller with our older son on the otherside. We all sit on the floor and this just works great. The book shelf is also close to the floor at their level so we ask them to pick out the books they want to read and bring them to us. After story time, older son climbs in his bed and I take the youngest to his room where we rock in the rocker for a couple of minutes before he goes in his crib.

I assume this will be the routine when the twins are born too.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!