PDA

View Full Version : Magnatiles and the plastic debate

ged
08-17-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm sure you're all getting tired over this 'bad plastic' frenzy. I personally have always been one to try to avoid plastic toys. My dilemna is with Magnatiles. They seem to be such great toys, but part of me can't get over the fact that they are made of plastic. Are they such great toys that it is worth overlooking the plastic factor?

Just to clarify. We do have some plastic toys, so I am not 1000% opposed to plastic. I just want to minimize them in my household.

ellies mom
08-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I guess it depends on your objection to plastic. My biggest objection to plastic toys is the type of toys made of plastic. Most plastic toy makers can't seem to just leave a good toy alone. It is like they can't help but add a speaker and blinking lights. Why does a tea set need to sing? Does a toy kitchen really need to making boiling sounds? Why take a perfectly good toy and make it loud and annoying? That is my main objection. Plastic toys tend to be the ones that control the interaction.

But a basic toy that happens to be plastic doesn't bother me as much. Legos and Magnatiles are in that category. They encourage free play; they encourage creativity. So in that sense they are a lot like the wooden toys I prefer. I think in those cases, it is definitely worth looking over the plastic factor, especially if there isn't a comparable wood option.

ged
08-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder. For me, avoiding plastics is not solely b/c of potential health benefits...so I guess I shouldn't get too caught up in just that one aspect. The magnatiles do seem to allow a lot of creativity and I think my DD would love them. I know she loves the duplos she plays with at grandma's house.