PDA

View Full Version : Lead Test Kits from Home Depot?

smzapalac
08-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Has anyone tried those test kits you can purchase at Home Depot that allow you to test for high levels of lead in toys? Thought about getting a kit, but wondered if they were the real deal. If you have any experience with them let me know. Thanks!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-19-2007, 01:08 AM
We bought and used one when mil gave us sil's old bed. It was painted wood so we tested it. If memory serves-you cracked a little tube and rubbed the chemicals on the suface,if the chemicals change color you've got lead. If not then just wipe the spot clean and your done.

Aishe
08-19-2007, 01:15 AM
That's pretty much how I would describe it as well. We used one a few weeks ago on our walls. It was pretty simple and straightforward, and it gave us some peace of mind.

DrSally
08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Where did you find these in HD? I asked and they acted like they had never heard of them. I wanted to test DH's lunch bag.

dnamertz
08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I bought one of these kits today from HD, but haven't tried it yet. I'm unsure as to which types of toys to test them on. We don't have any of the toys specifically on the recall list, but we have a lot of toys that say "made in China" so now I'm worried about lead paint. I saw an "expert" on the news talking about these lead paint test kits, and she said "remember, its painted areas you need to test, and this doesn't include plastic toys" (or something to that effect). I assume its because plastic toys aren't painted, they probably use different color plastics when they mold them. But I'm confused because looking at the recalled toys on Fisher-Price's website, it looks like almost all of them are plastic. How do we know what is painted, and what doesn't need to be tested?

What about teething rings? We have some "made in China" that are clear with the fluid inside, and each clear section has a picture on it. Is that paint? And what about those vinyl books that can go in the water? I'm guessing those are not painted, but I don't know.

daisymommy
08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
LeadCheck test kits:
2 pack $7.99 http://www.leadtesttoys.com/default.aspx
8 pack for $18.45 making them only $2.30 a piece http://www.healthgoods.com/Shopping/Home_Test_Kits/Lead_Paint_Testing.asp

They say they also sell them at Lowes (similar to Home Depot).

Aishe
08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
I think you have to find the right person to ask. The first person I asked acted like he'd never heard of them, but the second person spent about 10 minutes tracking it down. I don't know which department he found it in, though, so I can't help on that front. But they do exist and HD does indeed carry them!

Babywhite
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I have been wondering the exact same thing!! I got rid of my vinyl bath books after hearing about the vinyl bibs.

I was thinking about finding a contact number for the Fisher-Price items to ask about the deal with lead paint and the plastic items -- like the LP Farm.

R.W.

Babywhite
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I have been wondering the exact same thing!! I got rid of my vinyl bath books after hearing about the vinyl bibs.

I was thinking about finding a contact number for the Fisher-Price items to ask about the deal with lead paint and the plastic items -- like the LP Farm.

R.W.