PDA

View Full Version : Melissa and Doug safety

daisymommy
08-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Quote: I wrote to Melissa & Doug last night to express my concerns about toys made in China and lead paint and here’s what they had to say about their product…

Hi Amy - Yes, we definitely appreciate and understand your concern.

Please be assured, we test for lead VERY frequently.

It’s quite possible to make great quality children’s items in China, which meet all safety regulations, but the key point is that you have to test and inspect very frequently to be sure that your factories are always following your instructions explicitly. I assure you that’s exactly what we do.

From our experience, the key to doing this correctly is not simply to insist that your factories follow your instructions, but then to go one step further and to AUDIT, INSPECT, AND TEST very frequently. That is the most important part of the process, and it’s something our company has always taken VERY seriously.

Thanks again for asking, and for your support also.

Your Dedicated Customer Service Team

Melissa & Doug, Inc.

800-284-3948

Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 EST

ilovetivo
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I just spoke with them too and they said the following:

We've always tested our products, not just now with the lead issues.

In their factory in China, they're all M&D employees there. They talk to corporate on a daily basis

During production, they pull products at random throughought production - they make sure they get multiples in each batch.

They test on site (in the production facility) for lead, formaldehyde, sharp edges, choking hazards, quality etc.

They've also have their products tested at a 3rd party lab

MeAndMyStar
08-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks for sharing that e-mail. I wasn't too worried about M&D toys because the paint chips so easily and lead paint lasts forever on things! It's so scary that we have to worry about lead in childrens toys, of all things :(