PDA

View Full Version : Do I need both a BOUNCER and a SWING??

succession
08-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Both sound similar in function. Do I need to buy both a bouncer AND a swing?

-succession, aka first time mom w/no mommy friends or pass-me-downs!

sarasprings
08-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Do you mean a bouncer that goes in a doorway? That and a swing are different motions and I think most people find that their child prefers one over the other.

succession
08-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I meant a seat bouncer, where the baby sits in a reclined seat w/vibrating features.

bubbaray
08-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, I've used both (daily) with both DDs.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

elliput
08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
No, you do not *need* both, however, your DC may prefer one over the other so it doesn't hurt to have both.

Tondi G
08-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I would say YES! Some babies prefer one over the other... some don't like either or like both! The bouncer seat is helpful at meal times etc when you want to put the baby down near by and you adn move it from room to room or even take it outside. The swing since it is bigger tends to fine one place to call home.

I would suggest a Fisher Price Cradle swing ... ocean,rainforest or papasan.... whichever you like best. The rainforest one will now plug in to the wall which is nice cause if you have a child who LOVES the swing it'll save you in the batteries dept.

We had a ocean wonders aquarium bouncer seat and my little guy LOVED his fishies! We loaned it to some friends for their baby and he is always trying to get into it when we go over there.... HE'S TWO now! LOL

If you want to save yourself some $$ you could look for them on Craigslist or ebay or consignment/2nd hand shops!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

MamaMolly
08-25-2007, 08:30 PM
See, every baby is different. We had both, and I hardly used the bouncer. If I had to choose, I'd go for the swing a million times over.

Plus, I wouldn't pay retail for either until you know your DC likes them. The swing especially can be a big chunk of change. I'd go the Craig's list or consignment shop route first, and if DC likes them, you can always upgrade.

HTH,
Molly

sweetpea
08-25-2007, 09:43 PM
My dd refused to sit in the bouncer, but tolerated the swing (she'd nap in it). She hated the doorway bouncer.

Thinking back now, I think she was just training me to hold her all the time.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I really liked having both. The bouncy seat got more play in our house. It had a great recline (some are too steep and baby flops too much and looks uncomfortable) and vibrated. I have a travel FP swing and am hoping to snag my friend's FP cradle swing this time around. ;)

Beth

cindylouhoo
08-26-2007, 04:06 PM
DS 1 & 2 like(d) both! It is great to have the bouncer seat to move around, especially to take to the bathroom for showers or to the kitchen to prepare meals . But the FP Papasan is super for rocking baby to sleep! You could put both on your registry if you have one.

luvsviola
08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes.

I acutally had 2 swings...one upstairs in our bedroom and one downstairs in the family room. And we had a bouncy that floated around the house and was really nice when we went to my in-laws or to put near the table at dinner time. If she couldn't see us, she would cry, so the bouncy was a lifesaver.

I couldn't live without both.

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Heehee...we had 2 bouncy seats- one for upstairs and one for downstairs. When he would wake up at 7am we would stick him back in his bouncy seat (located on the ground) and we would all sleep a few hours more. heaven!

Beth

elephantmeg
08-26-2007, 07:38 PM
yes, yes, yes!

hillview
08-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd get both from Babies R Us or another good returns place. With DS we had both, he HATED the swing and 3 months later we returned it no questions asked. I just got another one for DS #2 and in a few weeks will see if he likes it!
/hillary

floridamommy
09-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Both ended up being total necessities for us. My DD and now DS were both colicky babies and had reflux & gastro issues. Both children literally slept in the FP Papsan bouncer at night b/c it kept them elevated and were wrapped in a miracle blanket (the only way they would sleep at all). Both children also did a lot of swinging in a FP Aquarium swing during the days (I got several big packs of D batteries from Costco and used every one). It really depends on the individual child...but for mine, both were absolute life savers. My DS will be 5 months this week and he still uses the swing daily and the Papsan bouncer a little bit each day too. Plus, I used both these items for both babies so they got double duty...in my book they paid for themselves long ago with the amount of use they have gotten.

glbb35
09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
We used both as well. We had the swing downstairs and the bouncy seat upstairs. I kept the seat in my bedroom/bath. It made getting dressed really easy. At one point of DS got fussy for a few months and we ended reversing that. Swing upstairs and it would rock him to sleep and then seat downstairs. Both of our DS's used them.

On the door hanging bouncy thing, called a Jolly Jump Up I think. Our first son LOVED it. When he got to that stage he was tired of the swing and the bouncy seat he could try to get out of the door bouncy thing was perfect. He would bounce for hours. We had it in the doorway between the kichen/family room and he could interact with everyone. Our second DS liked it as well but used it a little less. When your child gets older I would recommend that. Definitely get one with a tray. My SIL didn't and will be buying one for her 2nd child she says. Like the other moms have said all children are different. Either way they go through all their early baby "need products" quicker than you expect.

Try some church sales or baby second hand stores that carry nice things. That way if your child doesn't like the item or doesn't use it a whole lot you won't feel back about shelling out the big bucks. And of course pay attention to these awesome baby boards. The advice and bargains are wonderful! Good luck. B

Nooknookmom
09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
DD tolerates the swing will only sit in the bouncy that rocks if somebody rocks it. Wants to be held instead. I sure had high hopes for these items! But at 4.5 mo I'm well trained to be the swing, lol!

I'd try to borrow 1st & see what baby likes.

GL

Jen841
09-07-2007, 09:00 PM
I am all about minimal equipment, but we had and used:
Swing
2 boucey seats (if I did it all over again I would just get 2 of the F-P one that turns into a rocking chair- MUCH longer life)- 2 floor house
Bumbo
Highchair (one that reclined, used from the get-go with #2)
Exersaucer
2 floor gyms

They go through a series of phases, and each child is different. We needed all "stations" and we would rotate the baby from one to the other. The funny thing is I feel like I needed more with #2 b/c I would not lay him on the floor as much due to his "loving" brother.

For #1 we had a 1 floor place, and for #2 we have a 2 floor house and an unfinished basement playroom. I needed safe spots on each floor. A c-section made transporting between floors even harder.

TahliasMom
09-08-2007, 01:38 AM
get both and keep boxes and receipts. dd loved the swing and hated the bouncer. we ended up returning the bouncer when dd was like 3 months and bought a travel swing ;) used both until dd was 6 months.