PDA

View Full Version : Bread machines - easy to use and easy on the wallet?

glbb35
09-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Hello. I am interested in purchasing a bread machine to make our own bread in. Any recommendations? Consumer Reports says that for basic breads choose an inexpensive model since often parts can be more expensive to replace then just buying a new one. Can you all make some recommendations? We want to be able to make regular whole grain breads instead of buying store bought bread and we would like it to look similar to the kids so they won't know the difference. The other factors of course are longevity, cost and being easy to use. My mom had a bread machine from the beginning of time but I know they have all changed. Any super healthy recipes as well?

Many thanks!

B

bubbaray
09-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Borrow you moms and see if you REALLY use it. My bread machine is never used anymore. It was fun at first, then just became a chore.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

BeachBum
09-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Humm... For the most part I jsut don't think they are going to look like store bought bread.

I have a pretty basic machine. I got mine at a department store a few years ago. I think the machines are all pretty similar, except for the size loaf. Mine is a 1.5lb machine which is nice because I don't typically have to adjust the recipe.

supercalifragilous
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I second what the PP said - we got one from Costco and it broke after 8-10 loaves over the course of a year. Thought about getting another one, but after the 5th loaf, I had realized what a chore it was and I wasn't so into the idea of making bread when we have a Great Harvest Bread Company nearby.

If you can, you might want to borrow a friend's or your mom's and see how much you really use it.

If you do decide to get one, I'd agree that you should go with an inexpensive model. After mine broke after 8-10 loaves, I was irritated and I didn't even spend that much! Then I noticed a lot of other friends saying theirs broke too - they just don't last that long!