PDA

View Full Version : Maybe China isn't the only one to blame

funda62
09-03-2007, 12:06 PM
This article makes me really angry. We are all jumping on the bandwagon to buy American made toys, but I'm not so sure they are any safer if this is the way safety tests are being handled.

http://tinyurl.com/2z8vjw

mom2lm
09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for posting that! How scary - very eye opening.

alien_host
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
thanks for posting the article. It was very interesting, it really makes you wonder about the safety factor of any toy these days, american made or not.

hellokitty
09-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for posting that. It was pretty much what I expected. I just hate that china is the scapegoat for this entire thing. So many americans are blaming china and not realizing it's what is happening in our own country that is so scary. Yes, they are part of the problem, but our gov't and corporate america are an even bigger problem, b/c ppl have the false sense of security that that our gov't will keep us safe. Yeah, right, it seems like the opposite!

I know this is OT, but it falls in line with the whole safety thing. You know how there have been so many mining accidents in the past few yrs since GWB came into office? I know someone who is familiar with the mining industry and I asked him why there had not been accidents for such a long time and then all of a sudden, it is one mining accident after another. Basically the reason why there have been so many incidents of mining accidents is b/c GWB has changed policies so nobody is being held accountable for doing all of the safety checks on the safety of the mines for the workers that used to be in place to protect miners. So, this is what happens, we end up with all of these horrible situations where miners are caved in and being killed, b/c the gov't is not enforcing safety checks and precautions in order to make things easier/more profitable for corp america. The mining companies feel that since it isn't being reinforced they can get away skimping on safety, and as a result ppl are dying. It's so sickening.

funda62
09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Yep, I know. Anything to do with science has been wrecked by this administration.

sarasprings
09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Has anyone read The Hundred Year Lie (by Randall Fitzgerald, I think). That is really scary.

funda62
09-10-2007, 09:55 AM
I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

MissyAg94
09-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Yes. GWB hates kids and miners and science.

boygirl3
09-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Regardless if GWB changed policies or not the general human population SHOULD be responsible and moral enough to take care of its employees, create safe products for people and the environment, etc. Why should government always be there to check up on companies? Less government is better. You can make money by being honest, working hard, taking responsibility for your actions and providing a good, safe product or service.

funda62
09-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Should they take responsibility? Yes, of course. Will they when profits are at stake? No way. The only reason toy companies are suddenly crying out for independent testing is because they are afraid to lose money. Yes, I think less government is better too, but without its oversight things would be a lot worse. I've lived in a country with no governmental oversight regarding toys, cribs, car seats, etc. Really scary things get sold and used every day. The companies just want to make money and the citizens don't know any better.

boygirl3
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
I agree. I just think it is a sad state of afairs when people & companies will do the right thing when someone is watching but not do the right thing when nobody is watching. And you are correct in that people don't know...they blindly trust because they want to believe people/companies make good decisions regardless if they are being watched or not. Yet it is important for everyone to be involved...sometime citizens/consumers can make a bigger impact than any government regulation.

hellokitty
09-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I have it on hold at the library, thanks for the suggestion. :)