PDA

View Full Version : Pirate gift for a 5yo?

xmasbabycomin
09-05-2007, 12:29 PM
DSs good friend is a pirate lover and maybe one of you out there has one, too. Any gift ideas? I'm looking to spend $15-20. Thanks!

Andrea S
09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Andrew loves his playmobil pirate stuff. They have a take along island that is $19.99.

Also we have some nice pirate books.

Andrea
mom to A 8/02
& B 3/06

mommyoftwo
09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm sending you a PM.

kaitlinsmommy
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
I saw a cute pirate dress-up outfit at Costco today for $15.

Thatchermom
09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I second the Playmobil pirate stuff. DS has most of it and they are tied for his favorite toy with Legos. Some Targets carry a few of the pirate sets, we started with the portable treasure chest (not at Target) for about $24.

schums
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
There are tons of pirate things on the market right now. DS is really into pirates too (guess what's he's going to be for Halloween!). Things he really likes are:
Playmobil sets (pirate ships, take along treasure chest)
Individual Playmobil characters in the pirate genre (only $3 at Target, one "guy" and a few accessories)
Pirate Pete books (LOVE them) by Kim and Doug Kennedy
Backbeard books by Matthew McElligot
Pirate dress up (hat, hook hand, soft foam swords, eye patch, etc.)

If I were on a strict budget of $15, I'd probably get the a Pirate Pete book, one of the pirate Playmobil characters and a pirate hat/eye patch/hook (look at a Party USA or similar store for inexpensive dress up stuff).

If my budget was more along $20 or so, I'd look for the $19.99 pirate ship at Target or the Take along Treasure Chest (although DS doesn't think this is as good at the pirate ship) for $2-$25.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Thatchermom
09-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I think the ship and the chest are good for different uses. We have the bigger I only wish it were $20 at Target ship (#3280), which is probably our most used at-home toy. DS loves to load up the chest to capacity when we are going out to friends' so he has a stash with him. I am amazed how many guys, rowboats, rafts, sunken ships and whatnot he can fit in that thing! I'll have to look for Pirate Pete books, they sound fun. DS is in a serious pirate mode, he's having a pirate party for his birthday this year.

kitmama
09-06-2007, 04:21 PM
The books and the Playmobil stuff sound like fun!

My boys have gotten miles of play out of a "Pirate Toob" by Safari:
http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/safari_toys/pirates_toob.cfm

Littleman likes pirates too, though he is younger. Something I think is really cute are the pirate "band-aids" at Magic Cabin. I was ordering other stuff, so I got some of the bandages for Christmas stockings later this year. They have other pirate stuff- I did a search:
http://tinyurl.com/2mdrrj
The bandages are inexpensive of course, but a lot of their other stuff is more pricey than going to Target or Party City or similar. However, on the second page of pirate things there is a really cute pirate-theme sticker play scene.

Have fun! :)

schums
09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah, we have the big, $$ pirate ship too (I think the # is 3286 tho, if anyone is looking). It is by far the most played with toy in our house. There is a less expensive one that Target used to have with a skull on the sail for about $20, but it looks like Playmobil redid the ship and raised the price. Here's the link: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1189120828/ref=sr_1_1/602-0704506-0807838?ie=UTF8&asin=B000GSQ6IG

I think DS doesn't like the treasure chest as much because you have to basically take everything off the sides before you can fold it up, so there's a lot of set-up before you can play with it again. It's still played with, it's just not his most favorite pirate toy.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

MelissaTC
09-07-2007, 12:24 PM
DS went to a pirate party and we gave the Pirate Pop Up game by Tomy. The boys took it out of the box and played with it immediately. It was a huge hit and quite a fun game!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/519K1YFV9BL._AA280_.jpg