PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Cabinets - Lowe's or Home Depot?

LD92599
09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
There must be something that Lowe's has over Home Depot because HD had a ton of spots open for kitchen design and Lowe's doesn't!

We're gutting our kitchen - i think based on the flyers from Lowe's i'm leaning towards Lowe's. We were in a local granite place this morning where we can choose our slab and their prices seem VERY competitive over the chains - plus they are local, fast turnaround, dealing direct, etc.

Anyone have experience w/ both Lowe's and/or HD ?

I've been reading alot of old (and not so old!) kitchen threads - there's a ton!

TIA!

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

ColorBlue
09-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I recommend that you head over to gardenweb.com. they have a great kitchens forum, the best on the web. I think you will find that not too many people would recommend either lowes or home depot. You might find that a local cabinet maker or kitchen place will have the same prices and much better service.

Tracy

Marisa6826
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
We got ours from Home Depot (Lowes wasn't up around Northern NJ when we bought the house). (The Allwood Circle one did the layout and design - a lady named Carol, I think.) They're Kitchen Maid ones - which I think are sold at both Lowes and HD. They shipped much faster than I thought they would, and there were two very minor dents in two of the cabinets - but not enough to warrant returning them. In fact, as soon as I called their c/s number, they sent out replacement 'skins' free of charge immediately, along with instructions on how to install them.

-m

ETA - Regardless of which one you choose to go with, both of them have stores in N. Bergen on 1/9 - the tax is 3-1/2%. It doesn't matter which location you order from - they come direct from the manufacturer.

chunkychow
09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Used Lowes to do kitchen cabinets and kitchen and bath countertops. Very pleased. Some of the cabinet doors had very small dings but the cabinet man sent them back without me even asking.
Be sure you have a Lowes 10% coupon - buy one from Ebay if you can't get one. It will save you up to $2000.
I agree with another poster, however. I do wish I had gotten more estimates just to see the difference and what they could do.
Just remember that if you are replacing old cabinets and not enlarging your space, you have to put in the ones that will fit because they will be standard not custom made (which would cost alot more).
This means that you may not get the exact configuration you want or your house may have shifted through the years and maybe the ceiling won't quite touch the top of the cabinets and things like that.
They really worked with me to get what I wanted and even switched something out (that I did not like once installed) with no charge.
Good luck - glad it is you and not me!!

swan01
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
We used IKEA cabinets and saved TONS of money. A PP recommended Gardenweb and we did most of our research there as well. Good luck!

clc053103
09-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I would go to Lowe's.

I used Home Depot for a bathroom recently and had nothing but problems. So bad, that they credited me over $700 back on the job. But that took a whole lot of work- went up the chain to the store manager before we got any satisfaction. They were quick to blame everyone but themselves for everything.

AGroversMom
09-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I highly recommend gardenweb too. we used a local dealer and got our cabinets for about 4K less than what hd and lowes quoted us and we got better quality. also stick to the local dealer for granite...we got it direct for about 3K less than the HD quote and 2K less than what our cabinet supplier quoted us for it.