PDA

View Full Version : Plastic vs. Wooded/MDF Play Kitchen

mommysammi
09-08-2007, 10:16 PM
We want to get DS a kitchen and have narrowed it down to two, the Step 2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen or the Melissa and Doug Deluxe kitchen. Not sure which one to get because we are concerned with the safety of plastics but also, because we'll have a little baby around too, we're afraid that a wooden kitchen will hurt more when bumped into. Which do you recommend? TIA.

glbb35
09-09-2007, 11:45 AM
It is funny you mentioned this topic. This is something we are dealing with as well. I think though after much discussion with friends and family we are going to go with a really nice wooden one not all MFD. I still am saying however that if I come a cross a deal on a nice plastic and it would have to be really nice, like the one you are looking at that I might change my mind. Otherwise we are asking for Christmas from the Grandparents a wooden set. Here are my pros and cons:

Plastic- pro- costs less, usually has more stuff for smaller kids to play with at lower levels, easier to replace
cons- just too much plastic, the whole recall thing, have to have a wall to put them against, won't last as long

Wooden-pro-with a natural finish we can have it anywhere in the house, a good one will last a long time and can be an heirloom piece that is passed down, the kids already have so many plastic toys, we like the "island" shaped ones so we don't have to have a wall against it,
cons-more expensive, not as many doors to open, small things to play with.
So we are still figuring it out too. I welcome any advice you readers may have for us. Many thanks B